Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 252

Thread: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

  1. #41
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That figure probably combines the DoD budget with the cost of Iraq/Afghanistan.
    What far too many people ignore is that part of the defense budget goes to fund the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars thus some of the total cost of those wars is already included in the budget. The total cost of the wars from the Federal Taxpayers is around a trillion dollars over almost 10 years or 100 billion a year. Seems that there are many that do not understand that so if you cut the budget by the cost of the wars you would cut 100 billion a year so Obama deficit last year would have been 1.19 trillion instead of 1.29 trillion.

    Of course then Obama supporters have another problem, Obama claimed that Afghanistan is the "good" war and Iraq the "bad" war so how do they justify cutting 100 billion dollars a year from fighting the "good" war?

  2. #42
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    My God, where do you come up with this stuff?

    I hear Americans say this all the time, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how they figure that. Britain and France are two of the most powerful nations on Earth, that is a fact -- and they're not dependent on anyone for their protection. The only possible way I can figure you saying that is that you must somehow be referring to NATO, an organisation in which Britain, France and the US are equal partners.

    Furthermore, I do believe it was America begging the rest of Europe to join it in Iraq, not the other way around. And yet, France and Britain have both fought wars (successfully, I might add, which can't be said about Iraq or Afghanistan) without American aide.

    Long story short, you're talking out of your arse.

    Ah, you say not true eh? Seems to me I remember countries like Germany begging us to keep our troop levels because of the economic impact we had in your countries. Not to mention the defense shield we provide as cover so that your country can keep your own military budget small. You Euro's certainly are short on grace these days.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #43
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ah, you say not true eh? Seems to me I remember countries like Germany begging us to keep our troop levels because of the economic impact we had in your countries. Not to mention the defense shield we provide as cover so that your country can keep your own military budget small. You Euro's certainly are short on grace these days.

    j-mac
    That is a great point, the fact that European countries don't have to spend as much on defense because of the presence of the U.S. Military. This is something that the liberal left doesn't seem to grasp nor do many of the younger Europeans that participate in this forum. The impact of the U.S. Military on the economies of those European countries is ignored. I find it interesting however that Merkel is reversing decades of European style entitlements and socialist policies and has an improving economy with decade lows in unemployment.

    There seems to be a real arrogance on the part of liberals who cannot admit when wrong and want this country to be more like the old Europe that created cradle to grave coverage. This country wasn't built on that ideology thus to get there would bankrupt us and is!

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    bottom line---keynesianism is kaput

    ask erskine

    ask the g20

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,609

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Erskine? You mean the committee co-chair who intentionally released the views of both himself and Simpson when they failed to come up with enough committee votes as necessary. That perspective is DOA.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    it sure is, ask pelosi and afl-cio's trumka

    and john maynard's measures---failed, all the way from greece to obama

    comprehensively passe

  7. #47
    User Taboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    04-15-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    135

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    of course you do, and i fully appreciate what you are looking at

    but what good is your or my support if the likes of the grasping speakeress and blunt boss have already beat it with a baseball bat

    it is what it is, and obama's reliance on this trumped up and empty commission to settle his responsibilities for him has been just that, trumped up and empty

    as you and all other realists have surely recognized for months

    why did the party punt on the bush tax cuts, why the lame reliance on this duck

    why did the party fail to produce a budget in 2010

    solving what you want solved requires more leadership, perhaps, than this country has ever produced

    either way, obama/pelosi sure aint it

    the mere fact that the recommendation of this commission is associated with HIM kills it

    that's the lay of the land these days

    and realists are just gonna have to deal with it
    Unfortunately, I think you are correct. I see a whole lot of nothing being done over the next two years.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    China? China?

    China just recently might have gained the ability to invade Taiwan and win. They do not have the resources to invade Europe. They are just now developing a reasonable blue water navy
    The point is, England doesn't even need a military since they rely on us to fight their battles for them these days. We are, in fact, the military for the entire European region, as we have been since WWII.

    They can cut their defense budget to nothing if they want to because the world knows that an attack on a European country will be dealt with by the United States.

    Europe has become so soft. Socialism requires so little from people in the way of fortitude or character.

    And that's what liberals aspire for America to be, too.

  9. #49
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The point is, England doesn't even need a military since they rely on us to fight their battles for them these days. We are, in fact, the military for the entire European region, as we have been since WWII.

    They can cut their defense budget to nothing if they want to because the world knows that an attack on a European country will be dealt with by the United States.

    Europe has become so soft. Socialism requires so little from people in the way of fortitude or character.

    And that's what liberals aspire for America to be, too.
    What the cock are you talking about?

    England doesn't need a military because you fight all our battles?

    Did you go into the falklands?

    Excuse me but the only battles there's really been in the last 20 years for us to get involved in, was ones YOU CAUSED.

    You went into Iraq I and II and Afghanistan and we sent our boys over there with you.

    How dare you defile the memory of British Soldiers who went over there in support of you.

    And you accuse Obama of disrespecting your allies.

    Jesus Christ.

    Guess this was the part where honour was restored eh?

    **** ** ** ***** *** *** ****

  10. #50
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    Why don't you all just cut defence spending by about $600 billion? That'd do it. God knows that extra several-hundred-billion-dollars isn't making your troops unkillable in Iraq or Afghanistan. :/ Wasted money, methinks.
    Is this what the Gloucester School of Logic taught you? Ask for a refund.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •