Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 252

Thread: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

  1. #241
    User Taboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    04-15-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    135

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You didn't answer the question, why is the Federal Govt. involved in a state run insurance program for the poor? The problem still lies in the mandates from the Federal Govt. Many states are going to opt out of Medcaid, why? Think that the states want to kill the poor?
    Sigh, like I have said in previous posts, I don't necessarily disagree that the states should take on more of the responsibility from the federal government in regards to some programs (including Medicaid). Yes, it is state managed but it was enacted with the passing of a federal act (through Title XIX of the Social Security Act) in 1965. That's part of the reason why the federal government is involved rightly or wrongly. And here's the thing, it's at least 50% funded with federal dollars at this time depending on the state you live in. So, if a state decides to opt out of Medicaid while instituting their own program they are going to have to cut costs by at least 50% in order to not have to allocate additional state funds to the new program (if they decide the same services should be provided). Based on what I have seen no states have a good solid proposal in place that would do such a thing, not even Texas (Is Texas really thinking of opting out of Medicaid?). So, right now it just seems like a bunch of pie in the sky rhetoric at this time with a bunch of ranters and ravers saying they can do a better job at a significantly reduced cost. I'll wait and see, can't buy much into it at this time.

  2. #242
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because they haven't been deployed to our border.
    so our military isn't keeping us safe with all that money we give them? is that what you are saying?

  3. #243
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taboon View Post
    Sigh, like I have said in previous posts, I don't necessarily disagree that the states should take on more of the responsibility from the federal government in regards to some programs (including Medicaid). Yes, it is state managed but it was enacted with the passing of a federal act (through Title XIX of the Social Security Act) in 1965. That's part of the reason why the federal government is involved rightly or wrongly. And here's the thing, it's at least 50% funded with federal dollars at this time depending on the state you live in. So, if a state decides to opt out of Medicaid while instituting their own program they are going to have to cut costs by at least 50% in order to not have to allocate additional state funds to the new program (if they decide the same services should be provided). Based on what I have seen no states have a good solid proposal in place that would do such a thing, not even Texas (Is Texas really thinking of opting out of Medicaid?). So, right now it just seems like a bunch of pie in the sky rhetoric at this time with a bunch of ranters and ravers saying they can do a better job at a significantly reduced cost. I'll wait and see, can't buy much into it at this time.
    Only in the liberal world is "pie in the sky" rhetoric about taking personal responsibility. Yes, Medicaid is 50-50 but that 50-50 comes with a lot of strings attached including costs due to Federal regulations and restrictions. Opting out doesn't add 50% to the costs as there is no question that anything with Federal strings costs more than intended and does less than intended. We currently have a 14+ trillion dollar debt run up by that govt. that you and others seem to want to give our healthcare program to and the question is why?

    Our Founders never envisioned a Central Govt. this size and that was for a reason. They believed that power corrupts and that is what we are seeing today with this massive size of the Federal govt. TX like most of the states in the country is seeing a shortfall but TX will handle that shortfall like any household, they will cut expenses since revenue growth is highly suspect. Anything run by the Federal Govt. costs more than intended, does less than intended, and never has solved a problem.

    History shows what happens when one buys into the Federal Govt. solving personal social problems. States opting out is the only thing they can do to cut the Federal strings attached to the giving of U.S. taxpayer dollars.

  4. #244
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    so our military isn't keeping us safe with all that money we give them? is that what you are saying?
    Our military hasn't been deployed to the border thus not given the chance to keep us safe.

  5. #245
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Our military hasn't been deployed to the border thus not given the chance to keep us safe.
    why do you think that is being how we give them so much money for defense?

  6. #246
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    why do you think that is being how we give them so much money for defense?
    Why? Because we have a CIC more interesting in getting votes than keeping the people along the border safe.

  7. #247
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why? Because we have a CIC more interesting in getting votes than keeping the people along the border safe.
    not just along the border but the country as a whole. answer me this. how is the country safe if we have a bunch of illegals working at the ports?

  8. #248
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    not just along the border but the country as a whole. answer me this. how is the country safe if we have a bunch of illegals working at the ports?
    I live in TX, tell me about it

  9. #249
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I live in TX, tell me about it

    The proposal in the Texas House now is to cut border patrol's budget by 30%.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The proposal in the Texas House now is to cut border patrol's budget by 30%.
    Border control is a Federal Responsibility, didn't you get the Obama memo?

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •