Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 252

Thread: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

  1. #211
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Of course, SOME states have an advantage. Nevada gets enough in "sin" taxes that there is no state income tax. Wyoming has enough oil and gas that state income tax isn't needed. There are others..
    Alaska has reverse taxation, the state pays its citizens some of the revenue from oil and gas.
    But that doesn't mean people will flock to those states. I mean, to qualify for no state taxes, you have to LIVE there.
    Isn't that socialism?

    I mean, not all citizens of Alaska work in the oil and gas sectors, why are they entitled to something they didn't earn?

    And why wouldn't Sarah Palin (tough on communism/socialism/gay/muslim/black liberation theology/Kenyan anti-colonialist/marxist/ ideas) be against such a blatant form of Wealth Redistribution?

  2. #212
    User Taboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    04-15-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    135

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Isn't that socialism?

    I mean, not all citizens of Alaska work in the oil and gas sectors, why are they entitled to something they didn't earn?

    And why wouldn't Sarah Palin (tough on communism/socialism/gay/muslim/black liberation theology/Kenyan anti-colonialist/marxist/ ideas) be against such a blatant form of Wealth Redistribution?
    Agreed, Alaska is probably the most Socialist type state in the Union! Not to mention the fact that they get a lot of handouts related to earmarks in comparison to other states. Ha, funny how that works considering how "conservative" they proclaim to be.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    the logic isn't liberal, or conservative. Math is math....
    Saving where you can, regardless of the amount, is preferred to not saving at all. A little here, a little there, it adds up. It took me and the wife 30 years to accumulate our "wealth", and we did much better than many of our friends with much higher incomes. I call it being frugal, others call it cheap. But whatever you call it, it adds up. How much did it add up, in exact dollars? Who knows? It was worth the doing....even if it can't be equated to some number...
    Math is indeed math but when it comes to the economy and taxes human behavior has to be taken into account. The problem liberals have is they ignore human behavior and believe that if there are a 1000 taxpayers paying $100 a year in taxes that is $100000 and if that tax rate is cut 25% those 1000 people pay 75,000 which is a 25,000 reduction in tax revenue. The problem is human behavior kicks in and that 25000 in tax reduction is put back into the economy in some form and generates more taxpayers. That is how both Reagan and Bush grew revenue after their tax cuts. Human behavior kicked in, the consumer spent that 25000 and it had a multiplier affect on the economy. More taxpayers means more tax revenue. Right now 16 million unemployed Americans aren't paying much in income or any other taxes as they don't have the money to spend.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Isn't that socialism?

    I mean, not all citizens of Alaska work in the oil and gas sectors, why are they entitled to something they didn't earn?

    And why wouldn't Sarah Palin (tough on communism/socialism/gay/muslim/black liberation theology/Kenyan anti-colonialist/marxist/ ideas) be against such a blatant form of Wealth Redistribution?
    What you fail to grasp is the people of Alaska have decided what to do with the money that comes from their assets, not a bureaucrat in D.C. and that is the way it is supposed to work. A Federal Bureaucrat in D.C. deciding on how Alaskans should handle their economy is what got us into this mess. Leave the states alone and let them handle their own individual responsibilities. If or when they make a mistake like California, Illinios, NY, and other states have done, let them figure it out. There are consequences for failure everywhere except in the liberal world.

  5. #215
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Granted, but my point remains many of the "services" provided by the Federal Govt. are IMO state responsibilities and never should have gotten there. It really boils down to the role of the Federal Govt. and that seems to vary by individuals. It really is time for people to go back to the basics and actually read a history book as well as the Constitution as it was written.

    If you are paying more in state taxes and less in Federal Taxes you have a choice to make as some state taxes are much higher than others. Compare state taxes in NY, California, Illinois for example to TX. The choice then is yours, are you willing to pay more to live in those states or will do you what many are doing, move to a lower tax state? It is much easier moving to another state than moving to another country.
    History books can only tell us how things were done in the past, not necessarily how they should be done now.
    The constitution, as it was written, is a living document. It wasn't chiseled in stone for a reason. Times change, we adjust for the changes.
    And I don't think much of the past...hauling water from a stream, pooping in an outhouse, wiping with corn cobs....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #216
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What you fail to grasp is the people of Alaska have decided what to do with the money that comes from their assets, not a bureaucrat in D.C. and that is the way it is supposed to work. A Federal Bureaucrat in D.C. deciding on how Alaskans should handle their economy is what got us into this mess. Leave the states alone and let them handle their own individual responsibilities. If or when they make a mistake like California, Illinios, NY, and other states have done, let them figure it out. There are consequences for failure everywhere except in the liberal world.
    So you can't prove that Alaska isn't socialist, and that Sarah Palin continued this socialist...

    So you'd ACTUALLY be electing a socialist if you elected her. Given her "track record"

    P.S. get a ****ing sense of humour, you're harshing my mellow

  7. #217
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    History books can only tell us how things were done in the past, not necessarily how they should be done now.
    The constitution, as it was written, is a living document. It wasn't chiseled in stone for a reason. Times change, we adjust for the changes.
    And I don't think much of the past...hauling water from a stream, pooping in an outhouse, wiping with corn cobs....
    The basic principles in the Constitution are indeed written in stone, civic rights being an example along with the role of the Federal Govt. Our Founders knew that power corrupts and that is why they proposed a small Central Govt. and boy where they right. Our Federal Govt. is corrupt and as long as we the people allow that to happen the country is going to generate the results we have today, 14 trillion in debt and massive attempts at redistributing wealth. I prefer our Founder's way and putting personal responsibility back into our govt. The power for all social issues belong at the state and local levels not the Federal Level. Too many people however look to a large central govt. to bail them out for poor personal choices. Our Founders understood that it is human nature to fail and one learns from failure. Liberals cannot accept that concept.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    So you can't prove that Alaska isn't socialist, and that Sarah Palin continued this socialist...

    So you'd ACTUALLY be electing a socialist if you elected her. Given her "track record"

    P.S. get a ****ing sense of humour, you're harshing my mellow
    I would be voting for someone who believes in states rights as well as state responsibilities. That is what the U.S. Founders believed as well. If a state decides to be socialist and redistribute wealth then so be it. I prefer the people at the state level decide that not the Federal Govt.

  9. #219
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I would be voting for someone who believes in states rights as well as state responsibilities. That is what the U.S. Founders believed as well. If a state decides to be socialist and redistribute wealth then so be it. I prefer the people at the state level decide that not the Federal Govt.
    Hmmm I wonder where Texas is going to come up with the 12 billion in matching funds the Feds supply for medicaid.....

  10. #220
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Panel Chairmen Recommend Cutting Federal Spending by $200 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I would be voting for someone who believes in states rights as well as state responsibilities. That is what the U.S. Founders believed as well. If a state decides to be socialist and redistribute wealth then so be it. I prefer the people at the state level decide that not the Federal Govt.
    I've seen you in other threads support Palin.

    So by your logic that I've seen. That means you directly support Socialism.

    Fantastic, I will note this in my log.

    "DP log, Stardate 4013.93..."

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •