Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — GOP nominee Joe Miller sued Tuesday to keep the state from using discretion in counting write-in ballots in Alaska's hotly contested Senate race, setting off what could become a drawn-out legal battle.


    The lawsuit was filed the day before election officials planned to start counting write-in ballots that could determine the outcome of the race. Lt. Gov. Craig Campbell, who oversees Alaska elections, said the count will proceed Wednesday morning as planned.
    This issue here is that Miller wants ballots thrown out that misspell Murkowski's name, even if only one letter is incorrect. Never mind that the intent of the voter is crystal clear when he or she wrote in Murkowski's name.

    I have only one statement to make here:

    Joe Miller - You are an ass and a douche bag of the lowest calibre. And you will not succeed in circumventing the will of the voters, who probably already knew what kind of a dishonest bitch you really are, hence the reason they voted for your opponent.

    OK, make that 2 statements.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 11-10-10 at 01:34 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    What a piece of ****.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,716

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    I thought I read that the law said that the votes would count as long as the voter's intentions were clear.

    If true, it would be a pretty short lawsuit, right?

    edit: Ahh, the article says that it was a decision on part of the AK election commission, not AK law. This is going to take ages. :|
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-10-10 at 02:51 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    User Bok_Tukalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-11 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    44

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I thought I read that the law said that the votes would count as long as the voter's intentions were clear.

    If true, it would be a pretty short lawsuit, right?
    I believe the statutory law requires the name to be either written as applied for in the write-in procedure or simply the last name of the write-in candidate. The "voter intent" issue that is being reported has to do with a series of Alaska Supreme Court decisions regarding the counting of ballots that date back to 1978.

    That is my understanding of what is going on.

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,716

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by Bok_Tukalo View Post
    I believe the statutory law requires the name to be either written as applied for in the write-in procedure or simply the last name of the write-in candidate. The "voter intent" issue that is being reported has to do with a series of Alaska Supreme Court decisions regarding the counting of ballots that date back to 1978.

    That is my understanding of what is going on.
    This is going to be like Al Franken's election in 2008, but WAY LONGER.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #6
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    This issue here is that Miller wants ballots thrown out that misspell Murkowski's name, even if only one letter is incorrect. Never mind that the intent of the voter is crystal clear when he or she wrote in Murkowski's name.

    I have only one statement to make here:

    Joe Miller - You are an ass and a douche bag of the lowest calibre. And you will not succeed in circumventing the will of the voters, who probably already knew what kind of a dishonest bitch you really are, hence the reason they voted for your opponent.

    OK, make that 2 statements.

    Article is here.
    Lisa Murkowski promised while running in the Primary to support whoever the candidate was if she lost. She evidently lied (as did Charlie Christ). I have no sympathy if hard-ball politics is played against her.

  7. #7
    User Bok_Tukalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-11 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    44

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This is going to be like Al Franken's election in 2008, but WAY LONGER.
    More like the Florida presidential election of 2000.

  8. #8
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lisa Murkowski promised while running in the Primary to support whoever the candidate was if she lost. She evidently lied (as did Charlie Christ). I have no sympathy if hard-ball politics is played against her.
    This is not just hard-ball politics being played against her. This is some piece of **** politician giving voters who did not vote for him the middle finger by trying to throw their votes away.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #9
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    no, you play by the rules of the game. the law states X, then X is what needs to occur, irregardless of whether or not you like X.

  10. #10
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lisa Murkowski promised while running in the Primary to support whoever the candidate was if she lost. She evidently lied (as did Charlie Christ). I have no sympathy if hard-ball politics is played against her.
    I'm fairly torn myself. She clearly broke a promise in the primary, but it also appears the people voted for her anyway. Do the people deserve to be punished for yher not following through on a promise?

    ultimately, we have to follow the letter of the law. I'm still not sure what the letter of the law is.

    If the law says that write-ins must be exact, then so be it. If they say that so long as voter intention is clear, then so be it.

    If someone only writes her last name in, how do we know someone isn't still voting for her father? He was a far more popular senator.
    Last edited by ARealConservative; 11-10-10 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •