Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

  1. #41
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The courts aren't going to decide the winner. The courts are going to ensure that the will of the voters on election day is respected. There is a CLEAR difference between the two...
    And if there was an election system in place that had the confidence of the people, then it would not have to be so. And in the end, it is the court that decides who wins.. like it or not.. the election system is incapable of finding the winner because the rules are weak. If the system was strong, then there would be no reason to take it to the courts...
    PeteEU

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And if there was an election system in place that had the confidence of the people, then it would not have to be so. And in the end, it is the court that decides who wins.. like it or not.. the election system is incapable of finding the winner because the rules are weak. If the system was strong, then there would be no reason to take it to the courts...
    Thats why courts exist to interpret the rules and laws which we live under, its about deciding exactly what it means when Alaska state law says "legible hand written name."

    The rules are not weak they just need to be interpreted by a court.

  3. #43
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Thats why courts exist to interpret the rules and laws which we live under, its about deciding exactly what it means when Alaska state law says "legible hand written name."

    The rules are not weak they just need to be interpreted by a court.
    There should be no doubt what so ever in the election rules.. that is my point!
    PeteEU

  4. #44
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Thats why courts exist to interpret the rules and laws which we live under, its about deciding exactly what it means when Alaska state law says "legible hand written name."

    The rules are not weak they just need to be interpreted by a court.
    There should be no doubt what so ever in the election rules.. that is my point!
    PeteEU

  5. #45
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    There should be no doubt what so ever in the election rules.. that is my point!
    There isn't. Case law in Alaska has set the precedent for ages that the intent of the voter is used.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #46
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    There should be no doubt what so ever in the election rules.. that is my point!
    I honestly don't know the courts work where you live, so I'll give you a simple example of how it works here. My intent is strictly to illustrate that your point is kinda moot.

    If the election law here stated that you had to cast your ballot while standing on one leg, and every voter in fact cast their ballot with one foot in the air, the losing candidate could opt to bring a court action intended to throw all of the ballots on the grounds that the voters were standing on their foot, not their leg.

    In other words, no matter how obvious either the law itself or the accepted interpretation is for the bystander, anybody can bring a court action against anyone or anything for any reason.

    That's because we're guaranteed our day in court, and since the only way to determine if someone's suit is too stupid for court is to actually have it heard in court, there's really very little anyone can do except sit back and laugh.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #47
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    This is not just hard-ball politics being played against her. This is some piece of **** politician giving voters who did not vote for him the middle finger by trying to throw their votes away.
    What's the law say? If it states that mispellings, as long as it's obvious who the voter intended to vote for, are cool, then Miller doesn't have a pot to piss in.

    If the law states that no misspellings are acceptable, then Miller has a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #48
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    There should be no doubt what so ever in the election rules.. that is my point!
    There isn't, until a politico hires some scumbag lawyer to fight his/her defeat in an election.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #49
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There isn't, until a politico hires some scumbag lawyer to fight his/her defeat in an election.
    Which is why Miller is a scumbag. It is also why both Coleman and Franken were scumbags in the Minnesota Senate election. Both elections were attempts to put winning an election over the will of the voters. However, it's not always the case. Bush used the court in order to stop Gore from cherry picking counties in the recount, and attempting to throw out some of the military overseas votes. This was a case where a court was necessary. I wouldn't call Bush a scumbag for attempting to right an injustice by way of a lawsuit.
    Last edited by danarhea; 11-16-10 at 02:21 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #50
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Joe Miller camp files suit over Alaska write-in ballots

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What's the law say? If it states that mispellings, as long as it's obvious who the voter intended to vote for, are cool, then Miller doesn't have a pot to piss in.

    If the law states that no misspellings are acceptable, then Miller has a case.
    Regardless of what the law says Miller is still a scumbag.He is trying to steal votes from the voters.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •