Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

  1. #71
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What if we get into a war where we need 10 stealth bombers and only have 5? Then what?
    Humor does not compute.

  2. #72
    User KeeKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    123

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    I have a question for those that have been in the military for a good while.
    Not sure I know how to get this across right but I'll try.

    I have seen stories where we pay people (in Afghanistan for instance) to not do things that fund the Taliban such as not growing drug crops. This from what I read is a lot of money, does it work?

    We also pay bribes in other ways too.

    We pay say one tribe in money and supplies to fight against another for our side. Does that work?

    I'm sure someone here knows what I am talking about.
    May all beings give and receive compassion, Live free from fear, And dwell in peace. - author unknown

  3. #73
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If I thought what you said was a lie, I would have said that. I think you are wrong, because I was in the military during a drawdown, and they did find ways to cut the military without reducing readiness. Being wrong does not mean you are lying, only mistaken.
    You said,

    Because you just claim stuff to be true which isn't?
    If I'm saying things that aren't true, then I must be lieing. Yes?

    Look, Vancemack agress with my accessment. Is he a liar, too?

    It's an irrefutable fact, the quickest and easiet way for the military to cut costs, is to get rid of personel. The quickest and easiest way to get rid of personel? Take away the bells and whistles along with a soldier's desire to be a member of the armed forces.

    Higher standards and fewer perks, such as housing, bonuses etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    I have a question for those that have been in the military for a good while.
    Not sure I know how to get this across right but I'll try.

    I have seen stories where we pay people (in Afghanistan for instance) to not do things that fund the Taliban such as not growing drug crops. This from what I read is a lot of money, does it work?

    We also pay bribes in other ways too.

    We pay say one tribe in money and supplies to fight against another for our side. Does that work?

    I'm sure someone here knows what I am talking about.
    Clinton paid the Taliban $43,000,000 to stop growing poppies and the Taliban complied. I guess it does work, sometimes.

    IMO, Agent Orange would work better on those poppie fields, than bribes do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I did not vote for Mr. Paul I voted for Mr. Conway but I will hold his feet to the fire about this now. I hope him, his father, and a few other Republicans actively try to get this and the intelligence community's budget better managed. This would help solve at least part of what I believe is wrong with our country and our budget.
    Intelligence spending is very small compared to defense, SS and Medicare. We need to rely less on military and more on intelligence to fight terrorism.
    Last edited by mpg; 11-08-10 at 07:30 PM.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #76
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Being wrong(believing things not true) does not mean you are lying, only that you are not right. I gave examples of ways that can and have cut military spending without reducing training or readiness.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #77
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    I have a question for those that have been in the military for a good while.
    Not sure I know how to get this across right but I'll try.

    I have seen stories where we pay people (in Afghanistan for instance) to not do things that fund the Taliban such as not growing drug crops. This from what I read is a lot of money, does it work?

    We also pay bribes in other ways too.

    We pay say one tribe in money and supplies to fight against another for our side. Does that work?

    I'm sure someone here knows what I am talking about.
    We paid the Imams for decades to not cause religious strife in Iran. It worked quite well until they decided to stop. Dollar diplomacy is used frequently. Sometimes it opens doors. Sometimes it creates positive and lasting relationships. Sometimes it blows up in our face.

    (BTW...you might refer to it as something much more dirty...politics. The same thing happens in congress daily)

  8. #78
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Did someone seriously just suggest that Paul is "not a conservative" because he's for:

    1. Reducing the size of government
    2. Reducing the amount of money government spends

    Yeah, you're absolutely right. What a ****ing kookball. What conservative stands for those things. Jesus, Paul, why couldn't you just be a conservative and for conservative principles.
    I have heard it all before, right here on this forum. LMAO.

    But I say this: Those who are the quickest to brand others as not real Conservatives need to look in the mirror and make the same accusations to themselves. Of course, cutting and eventually balancing the budget IS a Conservative issue. Those who refuse to include military spending are not Conservatives either, but Neocons, which is the antithesis to Conservatism. We saw this when Bush was president. For those of you who supported Bush, but then stopped drinking the Kool-Aid, I applaud you. But bear in mind, I was bashing Bush when bashing Bush wasn't cool, and it earned me a lot of scorn from some of the very same people who bash him now.

    So let's cut to the nitty gritty - What can be cut from the military?

    1) Star wars, which has never worked, except under condititions in which we so laboratory-like, that it couldn't help but shoot down missiles. Under real conditions, it wouldn't stand a chance. That's billions right there.

    2) The Leopard 2 tank, which is extremely expensive. And guess what? The Taliban has no tanks at all. Why do we need this?

    3) The F-22 fighter jets, which the Pentagon itself said it didn't want.

    4) The V-22 Osprey, which Dick Cheney himself said was "A turkey".

    5) The F-35 Expeditionary vehicle, which is another money waster, but exists because the manufacturing plant is in Barney Frank's district.

    6) The Gerald Ford class of aircraft carriers, which need a whole fleet of destroyers and other support ships just to protect them. You are talking about 50 billion alone here.

    [rant]
    This is just a start, but what do we do next? We take the words of Dwight D. Eisenhower to heart and just tell the military-industrial complex to shut their ****ing pie holes, and that, from now on, they aren't getting squat. These programs of wasted money are not in the best interests of America, but in the interests of corporate welfare queens instead. Welfare queens who wave the flag and spew fake patriotism, while counting the money they are making by ripping off the taxpayers, and doing their part to screw the economy and the budget. Cut the programs, and if these CEOs don't like it, then maybe they need to get a real job, and work for a living, for the first time in their miserable ****ing lives.
    [/rant]
    Last edited by danarhea; 11-08-10 at 10:03 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't disagree. However, that's not the reality of the situation.
    Here's the thing, for me to honestly consider myself principled I gotta be consistent. Your "that's not the reality of the situation" is the same argument democrats use to say that we need to have tax increases, because while sure tax cuts plus spending cuts helps the deficit, reality is that spending cuts will never happen. And much like I tell them "The only reason reality is what that way is because we continue to function, vote, and hold them to standards based on said reality. If we don't demand reality to change, it never will".

    So if the military budget gets cut by a small amount and the military tries to screw with necessary items for the troops then we as citizens need to rise up and say "no, get rid of your pet projects, get rid of some of the possible 'luxuries', and stop cutting basic necessities for the soldiers to try and strong arm us into giving you more of our money"

  10. #80
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Dan, most of your list is pretty good except the last. All carriers are part of a battle group, with screening ships for defense. The Ford class is a needed upgrade on a 35 year old design. Things like steam catapults are outdated, and the more modern electronic navy needs a new design to accommodate those electronics through a ship. Further, we need a new design for the f-35C. Carriers are inherently expensive, but they provide an absolute ton for the money. The next big military action, it will be a carrier that is first on station, and has been the first on station consistently.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •