Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 96

Thread: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by librep View Post
    Then I certainly hope that this is seriously up for debate, because it would be a good change of pace to see somebody talk seriously about a top-down reduction in military expenditures.
    It would indeed. Though it's not really something the Republocrats want to do. I'm sure if you investigated that amount of money spent on bureaucracy, the way contracts are awarded and the value of them, etc. that we would find ways to save tons of money while not significantly altering that ability of the military to respond to threats against our sovereignty.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Did someone seriously just suggest that Paul is "not a conservative" because he's for:

    1. Reducing the size of government
    2. Reducing the amount of money government spends

    Yeah, you're absolutely right. What a ****ing kookball. What conservative stands for those things. Jesus, Paul, why couldn't you just be a conservative and for conservative principles.

  3. #53
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Did someone seriously just suggest that Paul is "not a conservative" because he's for:

    1. Reducing the size of government
    2. Reducing the amount of money government spends

    Yeah, you're absolutely right. What a ****ing kookball. What conservative stands for those things. Jesus, Paul, why couldn't you just be a conservative and for conservative principles.
    It's the Golden Calf for some. They don't even realize they have false idols.

  4. #54
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Did someone seriously just suggest that Paul is "not a conservative" because he's for:

    1. Reducing the size of government
    2. Reducing the amount of money government spends

    Yeah, you're absolutely right. What a ****ing kookball. What conservative stands for those things. Jesus, Paul, why couldn't you just be a conservative and for conservative principles.
    You see though this is why I jumped ship. I was born into a Republican family and eventually the Republicans lost their ways and got their heads shoved to far up their ass. I agree with more of what the Pauls say than most Republicans. At least when they talk about politics they are sincere and don't have some kind of douchey overtone about it like Bohner or McConnell.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  5. #55
    User librep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    11-08-10 @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It would indeed. Though it's not really something the Republocrats want to do. I'm sure if you investigated that amount of money spent on bureaucracy, the way contracts are awarded and the value of them, etc. that we would find ways to save tons of money while not significantly altering that ability of the military to respond to threats against our sovereignty.
    I'm sure that you're correct. In addition, as I said, it would be nice to know how much we actually spend on defense with all the off budget expenditures that there are currently.
    Economic Left/Right: 0.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18

  6. #56
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,739

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I totally agree, there's so much wasted money in the DoD. I'd go into details from my personal experience but quite honestly I wouldnt be completely comfortable with that.

    But needless to say many DoD jobs and military bases are created or kept open long after their usefulness because they bring money and jobs to areas belonging to powerful Congressmen or Senators.

    Also there's a whole lot of "Next-war-itis" that goes into the DoD. The F-22 program is a perfect example of this, its something which has no application in Iraq or Afghanitan and has in fact never been used in wartime but its been in developed and/or application for almost 2 decades, one of those decades being war years. But its something people say we may need for the "next-war" of course thats just an assumption as to what the next war will be. While its nice to be prepared, there's only so much money can afford.
    I spent 20 years in the military. I disagree cuts should come at the expense of personnel or readiness. That being said, there are literally billions and billions of dollars that are wasted every year...just downright frivolous bull**** and the military should not be immune to belt tightening.

  7. #57
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,739

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Did someone seriously just suggest that Paul is "not a conservative" because he's for:

    1. Reducing the size of government
    2. Reducing the amount of money government spends

    Yeah, you're absolutely right. What a ****ing kookball. What conservative stands for those things. Jesus, Paul, why couldn't you just be a conservative and for conservative principles.
    DID someone actually suggest that???

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    DID someone actually suggest that???
    Indeed someone did

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Wrong and a really bad idea, and I guess Paul is not Conservative.

  9. #59
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,739

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Indeed someone did
    Must not attack the sacred golden cows...military...education...social security!!!!

    If I said "End of Year Fall Out Money"...I wonder how many military and federal employees would laugh coffee through their noses...

  10. #60
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Sen.-elect Paul: GOP must consider military cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I spent 20 years in the military. I disagree cuts should come at the expense of personnel or readiness. That being said, there are literally billions and billions of dollars that are wasted every year...just downright frivolous bull**** and the military should not be immune to belt tightening.
    And I really think that is where Paul is coming from. Well that and probably advocating against interventionist policies. Things that can save us some serious cash. There is a lot of reform and cuts we can make to military spending withing significantly altering the readiness or ability of our military.

    If we really want lower taxes and a more responsible government; then we're going to have to find places to cut spending.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •