Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 128

Thread: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

  1. #71
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    "Oh, well if the people support it, it must be a good law!"

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059100052

    That argument didn't get any better in the past 24 hours.
    This is a good law

    The people, we the electorate cannot recall a MP if they have been found to be lying.
    That power is with the court and if there is sufficient evidence. They will be stripped of their seat and the people will have another say.

    The constituents deserve a representative who didn't lie and play the race card to win and they will get their say. I have nothing but support for the Judges decision.


  2. #72
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    This is a good law

    The people, we the electorate cannot recall a MP if they have been found to be lying.
    That power is with the court and if there is sufficient evidence. They will be stripped of their seat and the people will have another say.

    The constituents deserve a representative who didn't lie and play the race card to win and they will get their say. I have nothing but support for the Judges decision.
    So rather than have a law that gives the people the authority to recall politicians who do bad things, you'd rather give that power to appointed and elected officials.

    Hey, to each their own.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So rather than have a law that gives the people the authority to recall politicians who do bad things, you'd rather give that power to appointed and elected officials.

    Hey, to each their own.
    The politicians gave that power to the Judges by passing the law not the people.



  4. #74
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    The politicians gave that power to the Judges by passing the law not the people.

    And like I said, I think it's a dumb law.

    ....
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And like I said, I think it's a dumb law.

    ....
    Yeah, you say. I think it's a pretty good law.


  6. #76
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,520

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yeah, you have a right to be blatantly lied to in your media and politics! Yeah, go America, #1!

    Well, not being a moron, I can tell when it's happening. If you need help, then that's your deal.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #77
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Libel is a generally non-enforced precept of the American Constitution. We love freedom of speech too much.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #78
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Libel is a generally non-enforced precept of the American Constitution. We love freedom of speech too much.
    Which explains the constant lying American media, politicians and in general everyone are doing on a daily basis. The truth has become a premium in the US.. and a rarity
    PeteEU

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    It will be interesting to see whether turnabout is fair play and those who have called Tony Blair a liar are all brought to justice.

    This appears to be another fine example of selective outrage.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Which explains the constant lying American media, politicians and in general everyone are doing on a daily basis. The truth has become a premium in the US.. and a rarity
    Right, PeteEU.

    Everyone in the United States lies and everyone in Europe tells the truth.

    It's always easier to have official opinions where the truth is never in doubt,

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •