Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 128

Thread: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

  1. #61
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,090

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Yes, I do. I wish I could say I'm flabbergasted that you think it shouldn't be, but it's no surprise. Europe has so much to learn about free speech.

    Once again, if you think someone is a liar, there's a simple way to keep them out of office: DON'T ****ING VOTE FOR THEM.
    And if it found out he/she is a liar after the election, and the person was voted in generally because of the lie
    Conservatives believe the government is incompetent, and seek to elect people who will prove it
    Ignorance is Bliss Bliss is the same as happiness US Christian conservatives are the happiest in the US according to studies Do you see a connection?

  2. #62
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    And if it found out he/she is a liar after the election, and the person was voted in generally because of the lie
    Then you vote them out next time or have a legislative process established whereby you can have recall elections.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #63
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    If you are running for public office, I truly do think you have to give up some of your personal freedoms. We already restrict people's free expression based having positions of power. We don't allow teachers to flirt with their students, for example. When a public official or a person attempting to become a public official lies, it deludes people's votes and undermines the integrity of democracy. Public officials have a greater level of responsibility on them, and thus are not quite as free. I say, kudos to the UK for not allowing greedy self-interest to harm innocent people.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Old stary eyes
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-18-16 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    23,673

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Yes, I do. I wish I could say I'm flabbergasted that you think it shouldn't be, but it's no surprise. Europe has so much to learn about free speech.
    Something doesn't become more true the more often you say it. Just saying the UK has a problem with free speech is pretty meaningless if you can't or won't back up your opinion with an argument and some evidence. Some might regard it as a vacuous insult.

    Once again, if you think someone is a liar, there's a simple way to keep them out of office: DON'T ****ING VOTE FOR THEM.
    Once again, there's no need for assumption, in this case there's hard facts, evidence, proof. The RPA stipulates that you may not wilfully mislead the public during an election campaign. He did, it was proved beyond reasonable doubt (i.e. to a higher standrad of proof than would be needed to find against him in a civil libel action) and he was punished.

    Your argument is seriously illogical. I guess Bernie Madoff shouldn't have gone to jail. After all, if you think someone's a liar, there's a simple way to keep them from defrauding you: DON'T F***ING INVEST WITH THEM.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #65
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,090

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Then you vote them out next time or have a legislative process established whereby you can have recall elections.
    Is that not what basically is occuring, a byelection is being called?
    Conservatives believe the government is incompetent, and seek to elect people who will prove it
    Ignorance is Bliss Bliss is the same as happiness US Christian conservatives are the happiest in the US according to studies Do you see a connection?

  6. #66
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Free speech is free speech. You have to take the bitter with the sweet.

    Besides, his opponent is a public figure and should expect to be tarred and feathered.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  7. #67
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Something doesn't become more true the more often you say it. Just saying the UK has a problem with free speech is pretty meaningless if you can't or won't back up your opinion with an argument and some evidence. Some might regard it as a vacuous insult.
    Given that you're participating in a thread about speech laws in the UK, I assumed that you were familiar with the UK's notorious policies on these issues. I guess not.

    Here are some basic primers:

    Libel tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    English defamation law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cracking the Spine of Libel - NYTimes.com

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/wo...e/11libel.html

    UK Libel law threatens science and honesty

    UK Libel Law Is Out Of Control. We Know From Experience.

    Quick summary: If your country's libel laws are so strict that people from all over the world are coming there in order to sue people and stifle speech, then your laws are trash.

    Once again, there's no need for assumption, in this case there's hard facts, evidence, proof. The RPA stipulates that you may not wilfully mislead the public during an election campaign. He did, it was proved beyond reasonable doubt (i.e. to a higher standrad of proof than would be needed to find against him in a civil libel action) and he was punished.
    ...and I think that's a ****ty law. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

    Your argument is seriously illogical. I guess Bernie Madoff shouldn't have gone to jail. After all, if you think someone's a liar, there's a simple way to keep them from defrauding you: DON'T F***ING INVEST WITH THEM.
    JFC. Do you honestly not see a difference between actual financial fraud and alleged dishonesty in electioneering?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Is that not what basically is occuring, a byelection is being called?
    Yes, except the byelection is being called courtesy of a prosecutor and a judge, rather than by the people who are given the authority to elect people. I see that as a problem. You may not.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Is that not what basically is occuring, a byelection is being called?
    Yes it is. Which is excellent news in my eyes.

    This time the electorate will be able to choose someone who represents them without race fear and lies distorting it.


  9. #69
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Yes, except the byelection is being called courtesy of a prosecutor and a judge, rather than by the people who are given the authority to elect people. I see that as a problem. You may not.
    And 71% of "the people" support this decision.


  10. #70
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    And 71% of "the people" support this decision.
    "Oh, well if the people support it, it must be a good law!"

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059100052 (MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court)

    That argument didn't get any better in the past 24 hours.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •