Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 246

Thread: Results of Obama's India Trip

  1. #181
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Yes but they are much less bought. Remember Japanese bikes forced most English bikes out of business years ago.

    Buy what you want but I will support this country by buying American made to help our economy and help people here to keep working.

    Buying my new Harley may have saved somebody from getting laid off in this country.
    .

    Sure, it might have, but it also may have caused the American Honda mechanic down the street to get laid off instead. You have the right to spend your money as you choose, but let's not pretend that your dollars are better for America than mine. Things are not nearly as cut and dried as you make them out to be, but hey, however you'd like to justify your purchase that's you prerogative.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 11-09-10 at 10:06 AM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    .

    Sure, it might have, but it also may have caused the American Honda mechanic down the street to get laid off instead. You have the right to spend your money as you choose, but let's not pretend that your dollars are better for America than mine. Things are not nearly as cut and dried as you make them out to be, but hey, however you'd like to justify your purchase that's you prerogative.
    When you go to school to be a motorcycle mechanic you learn how to work on all bikes. He can now go work on Harley's.

  3. #183
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    When you go to school to be a motorcycle mechanic you learn how to work on all bikes. He can now go work on Harley's.
    Not entirely true. Many dealerships train their own specialized mechanics. Just because I can tear down a Yamaha dirt bike doesn't mean that Aprilia will hire me to work in one of their dealerships, servicing customer's rides.

    ...and good luck getting a job at Harley, you heard they're laying off, not hiring, right? Maybe if they were more competitive in the whole motorcycle market, instead of filling only one niche customer base, they might be able to take on more workers. You might want to save your ill-timed laughter until you have a better grasp of the situation.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 11-09-10 at 12:09 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Not entirely true. Many dealerships train their own specialized mechanics. Just because I can tear down a Yamaha dirt bike doesn't mean that Aprilia will hire me to work in one of their dealerships, servicing customer's rides.

    ...and good luck getting a job at Harley, you heard they're laying off, not hiring, right? Maybe if they were more competitive in the whole motorcycle market, instead of filling only one niche customer base, they might be able to take on more workers. You might want to save your ill-timed laughter until you have a better grasp of the situation.
    Because Harley lays off does not mean the dealers do not need mechanics. My dealership shop stays busy.

    If you go to a tech school you learn to work on all bikes. This means you may have to pass some certifications for some jobs but you will still be qualified for a job.

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Because Harley lays off does not mean the dealers do not need mechanics. My dealership shop stays busy.

    If you go to a tech school you learn to work on all bikes. This means you may have to pass some certifications for some jobs but you will still be qualified for a job.

    I think I'd rather have a bike that spends less time in the shop.

  6. #186
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Because Harley lays off does not mean the dealers do not need mechanics. My dealership shop stays busy.

    If you go to a tech school you learn to work on all bikes. This means you may have to pass some certifications for some jobs but you will still be qualified for a job.
    Your shop may not be indicitive of every other shop across the country.

    You are correct, additional certifications are often required. Anyone without them is clearly not yet job certified, meaning they will lose the position to someone who is. It's just the nature of the job market.

    Anyway, I'm not here to play the anecdotal what-if game and I believe I've made my case fairly clearly. Again, I understand that you love your Harley, and I'm not trying to convince you to buy a different bike. I'm just simply pointing out that someone who chooses to buy from a another manufacturer is not buying a worse product or demonstrating that they hate America, they simply have different criteria for what they want in a motorcycle. They are not more right than you and you are not more right than them. Simple.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I think I'd rather have a bike that spends less time in the shop.
    That is why I buy a Harley

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Your shop may not be indicitive of every other shop across the country.

    You are correct, additional certifications are often required. Anyone without them is clearly not yet job certified, meaning they will lose the position to someone who is. It's just the nature of the job market.

    Anyway, I'm not here to play the anecdotal what-if game and I believe I've made my case fairly clearly. Again, I understand that you love your Harley, and I'm not trying to convince you to buy a different bike. I'm just simply pointing out that someone who chooses to buy from a another manufacturer is not buying a worse product or demonstrating that they hate America, they simply have different criteria for what they want in a motorcycle. They are not more right than you and you are not more right than them. Simple.
    You have your views. I try not to shop at Walmart because I do not want to support China. If Sam were alive today he would kick his family's ass. If you live here you should support our workers.

    By the way I grew up about 60 miles from the Harley factory and offices in Wisconsin.
    Last edited by ptif219; 11-09-10 at 12:45 PM.

  9. #189
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You have your views. I try not to shop at Walmart because I do not want to support China. If Sam were alive today he would kick his family's ass. If you live here you should support our workers.
    By the way I grew up about 60 miles from the Harley factory and offices in Wisconsin.
    Don't apply your morals to me. Like I said before,
    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post

    I believe in buying American to an extent, but American companies still have to make a competitive enough product to justify my cash on the barrel. Only an uninformed consumer buys a product based solely on its country of origin, without researching the rest of the facts.
    Btw... I refute your anecdotal evidence with a story of my own. In the 8 years that I owned my Yamaha, bought used, it was in the shop not a single time, despite the multitude of abuses I subjected it to.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 11-09-10 at 01:13 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Don't apply your morals to me. Like I said before,


    Btw... I refute your anecdotal evidence with a story of my own. In the 8 years that I owned my Yamaha, bought used, it was in the shop not a single time, despite the multitude of abuses I subjected it to.
    I have a maintenance program so I don't even change the oil. I just got my new bike out of the shop they put on true dual Vance and Hines pipes it gave me 18 more horse power.

    My Bikes have not been in the shop for breaking down only for sceduled maintenance and things I had put on to make the bike the way I want it.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •