Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 246

Thread: Results of Obama's India Trip

  1. #131
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219;1059088727[B
    ]Yet other Bikes imitate Harley's[/B]. nice spin but for ride and comfort I will take my HD anyday.

    Little Big V-Twins Comparison Test - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

    The Fattening of America

    The Fat Boy might be considered the prototype for this entire class, and certainly Harley's competitors would love to have such a successful motorcycle, especially one that has been selling as well as the Fat Boy has for over a decade. Powered by Harley's dual-counterbalancer, twin-cam, 1450cc air-cooled twin with a clean Softail frame wrapped around it, the Fat Boy epitomizes that particularly American wide, fat look. Although it retains distinctive features such as disc-style cast wheels and that shotgun-style exhaust configuration, competitors have frequently sought to imitate other parts of its make-up, from the chunky 16-inch wheels wrapped with full fenders to the tank-top instruments, covered fork legs, the fork nacelle backing the headlight, the chrome airbox alongside the engine, the floorboards, the hidden-shock rear suspension and the low, wide saddle. Although it comes up short in a few areas such as a mere single front brake disc, the current-generation engine and chassis make an impressive functional package, too.


    The Fat Boy's unique disc wheels can cause some side-wind issues. Our test unit had an accessory headlight and other goodies.

    Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

    High Points
    # Huge accessory selection from huge number of companies
    # Comfy
    # Good cornering clearance for a big cruiser

    Low Points
    # There's one on every corner
    # Very pricey
    # Unimpressive brakes
    As I said image, HD has a great image or brand equity if you will. But from a technological view it lags japane, german and Polaris (Victory). But then again technology is not why you buy a HD bike
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    As I said image, HD has a great image or brand equity if you will. But from a technological view it lags japane, german and Polaris (Victory). But then again technology is not why you buy a HD bike
    Why do you say that? Ever heard of a V-Rod that comes from their racing program?

  3. #133
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Why do you say that? Ever heard of a V-Rod that comes from their racing program?
    The V rod engine was developed with Posche and has been in the market now for 8 years. The japanese manufactures turn over a new engie design ever few years. There 600 cc and 1000 cc inline 4 are amazing pieces of engineering that rival that of the most expensive european car manufacturers

    Now dont get wrong I like the Superglide, a well sized biked with a great design, which I would buy over comparable Japanese bikes, but they are not technological marvels
    Last edited by Lord Tammerlain; 11-08-10 at 01:17 AM.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #134
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I guess you do not follow NHRA
    Most other bike manufactures don't put the effort into NHRA. I understand you're a die-hard Harley rider, so I've kept my real opinions polite. How many road race, moto GP, enduro or rally titles has Harley won that you can list? That's where most other manufacturers are spending their R&D dollars. Harley doesn't even show up for those events any more. Like I said, they're a great bike if you're a Harley enthusiast or looking for a weekend status symbol, but let's not pretend that they're better than they really are. Enjoy your cruiser, she looks like a beaut. However, I respectfully stand by my previous assessment.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This doesn't tell me anything. Its just a website for hotel booking. I don't need to know what I'd be paying I need to know what the President is paying, plus I'm not even sure I'm looking at the right hotel. You have to prove your statements, not demand I prove them false.

    Also what military experience? I'm a US Army logistican and I've never heard of a 10 hour flight costing 1.3 million fuel costs.

    The standard is to present your evidence, you don't have to respond instantly go compile it. I'll be here, and I will look at it.
    Once again learn to read. Its 10 hrs there and back. AF1 operating costs are around 68,000 an hr. Do I need to do the simple math for you once again? I cannot believe someone such as yourself cannot pay attention to detail yet claim they are someone that moves the Army around and supplies us.

    You think the Taj is going to give a break on their rooms charges? I even used the lowest room rate for everyone, IRA 14500, beside Obama. I am more than sure the total stay is much more than 14 million even if they did give a break for renting the whole place, which I doubt.

    As for military experience, after you put in 20 years then you can tell me you know more about moving troops and equipment around the world than me.

    I have shown you more than enough evidence of some of the costs of this trip yet you choose you have your head planted four feet deep. If you refuse to realize reality only to be an Obama stooge, there is no chancing your closed mind. I am done with you. You have been dismissed troop.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Obama denies it yet does not say what the cost is. That makes me believe the figure is not that far off.

    How is revealing the cost a security risk?


    http://www.newsroomamerica.com/story...rip_costs.html
    Thats still an assumption based only on speculation.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    Once again learn to read. Its 10 hrs there and back. AF1 operating costs are around 68,000 an hr. Do I need to do the simple math for you once again? I cannot believe someone such as yourself cannot pay attention to detail yet claim they are someone that moves the Army around and supplies us.

    You think the Taj is going to give a break on their rooms charges? I even used the lowest room rate for everyone, IRA 14500, beside Obama. I am more than sure the total stay is much more than 14 million even if they did give a break for renting the whole place, which I doubt.

    As for military experience, after you put in 20 years then you can tell me you know more about moving troops and equipment around the world than me.

    I have shown you more than enough evidence of some of the costs of this trip yet you choose you have your head planted four feet deep. If you refuse to realize reality only to be an Obama stooge, there is no chancing your closed mind. I am done with you. You have been dismissed troop.
    I just want a source of the total costs. But please, no more insults you can't claim to be the smart and mature one when you're throwing around insults I'd expect to here from a school child

  8. #138
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    That is old school. I have owned several none leaked oil or smoked. The one I just bought and put on Vance and Hines pipes is putting out 70 horsepower. Not bad for a stock bike except for custom pipes.
    I'm really not trying to flame you on this post. I understand why you ride, and I understand why you ride HD. I won't tell you the horsepower on mine because I don't want to make you feel bad. I ride what I ride because it's what I wanted. The first time I saw it, my first thought was "That's badass", and I wasn't even shopping for a bike at the time.

    My point is that HD has not stayed in business by competing with other manufacturers. They survive because they have a following who buys HD because it's HD. I find it difficult to believe they will find the same following in India that they have here.

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    So we're exporting Fags to India?



    I don't know, I can't honestly call this outsourcing.

    For it to be outsourcing we'd have to imagine that its legitimate to believe that the Harley's that will be sold in India that are put together in India would've been imported and sold there anyways. My guess and understanding is this is not the case, or not to the same degree.

    So lets say theoritically they would've imported 25% of the bikes that they'll end up buying from America if they weren't making them over in India. For 100 bikes, that'd mean 25 bikes that were built in America instead. However, it means that there is 75 more bikes worth of parts that has to be created in America, and 75 bikes sold worth of revenue generated for the American company to then reinvest back into its operations that are primarily in America.

    So in reality, it could be seen as increasing job totals and wealth in America.

    I understand the desire not to outsource, but the whole situation needs to be looked at. If the only reason they're buying Harley's is because building it over there will make it reasonably priced and logistically reasonable, thus highly increasing sales, you can't compare those sales at a 1:1 ratio with what sales would be if they were just importing them.

  10. #140
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Results of Obama's India Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The V rod engine was developed with Posche and has been in the market now for 8 years.
    The v-rod was a step-change for HD. I remember when it came out thinking it was cool. They are fun to ride and are relatively quick compared to other bikes in that class. However, I think their marketing of the great new engine turned me off a bit. They bragged about their high-revving water-cooled v-twin making 100 horsepower. The Italians and Japanese both had sport v-twin engines that were less displacement making more horsepower for years prior to HD's marvel of Porsche technology. Ducatti, Aprilia, Suzuki, and Honda were all ahead of them. I'm not positive, but I think Moto Guzzi may have been ahead of that as well.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •