Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 166

Thread: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,736

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    This I can agree with, the only concern I would have is the moron in charge surrendering our sovereignty to the international house of dictators.
    How, exactly, do you predict that America will "surrender it's sovereignty?" I want to know exactly what you think is going to happen.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    This I can agree with, the only concern I would have is the moron in charge surrendering our sovereignty to the international house of dictators.

    ........

  3. #43
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    How, exactly, do you predict that America will "surrender it's sovereignty?" I want to know exactly what you think is going to happen.
    Land of the Sea Treaty

    Agenda 21

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why does it concern you? It's not like we're going to listen to anything they say.
    If the U.S. is serious about improving human rights worldwide (and I believe it is) and, if the UNHRC, is supposed to be an instrument for advocating human rights, taking measures that effectively insulate it from improving its performance are counterproductive. From its decision, the U.S. sends a signal that it believes the UNHRC is credible. In reality, it is an extremely politicized body that does little to address real human rights issues. Instead, it pursues advocacy campaigns that reflect its political objectives. Consequently, the UNHRC makes almost no constructive contribution to improving human rights. Worse, because it pursues political agendas, time and resources that could be devoted to improving human rights are wasted on political pursuits. Consequently, one could reasonably argue that this opportunity cost amounts to a negative contribution toward improving human rights.

    Edit: Also, do people not understand that it's possible to be both critical of America and critical of terrorists at the same time? America bombs buildings, kills innocent people: bad. Terrorist bombs buildings, kills innocent people: bad.
    Of course, it is. Like any nation, the U.S. has its strong policy aspects and also policy flaws. But that's a separate issue from taking a measure that bolsters the perceived credibility of a dysfunctional UN entity.

  5. #45
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    The US most certainly needs to be held accountable for acts of violence. If we want to claim to be the greatest nation in the world, we need to do a much better job living up to that.

    To address one of themes in this thread. People who criticize America do not hate it. People who are disappointed in the choices the US has made love it and are disappointed. Sometimes you have to hold an intervention for someone you love, even if it makes them sad. It's still good for them. Chastising America's acts of violence and making it pay for them will serve to deter future violence. And then maybe we really can be the best around, but until we stop this warmongering, racism, torture, and religious and sexual discrimination, we have no cause to claim superiority. Even if we're better than most, we still have a lot of work to do.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #46
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    If the U.S. is serious about improving human rights worldwide (and I believe it is) and, if the UNHRC, is supposed to be an instrument for advocating human rights, taking measures that effectively insulate it from improving its performance are counterproductive. From its decision, the U.S. sends a signal that it believes the UNHRC is credible. In reality, it is an extremely politicized body that does little to address real human rights issues. Instead, it pursues advocacy campaigns that reflect its political objectives. Consequently, the UNHRC makes almost no constructive contribution to improving human rights. Worse, because it pursues political agendas, time and resources that could be devoted to improving human rights are wasted on political pursuits. Consequently, one could reasonably argue that this opportunity cost amounts to a negative contribution toward improving human rights.



    Of course, it is. Like any nation, the U.S. has its strong policy aspects and also policy flaws. But that's a separate issue from taking a measure that bolsters the perceived credibility of a dysfunctional UN entity.
    Or, in just one word, "Durban".
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #47
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    If the U.S. is serious about improving human rights worldwide (and I believe it is) and, if the UNHRC, is supposed to be an instrument for advocating human rights, taking measures that effectively insulate it from improving its performance are counterproductive. From its decision, the U.S. sends a signal that it believes the UNHRC is credible. In reality, it is an extremely politicized body that does little to address real human rights issues. Instead, it pursues advocacy campaigns that reflect its political objectives. Consequently, the UNHRC makes almost no constructive contribution to improving human rights. Worse, because it pursues political agendas, time and resources that could be devoted to improving human rights are wasted on political pursuits. Consequently, one could reasonably argue that this opportunity cost amounts to a negative contribution toward improving human rights.



    Of course, it is. Like any nation, the U.S. has its strong policy aspects and also policy flaws. But that's a separate issue from taking a measure that bolsters the perceived credibility of a dysfunctional UN entity.
    You could generally apply your argument to the entire UN.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #48
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Since human rights abuses are so integral to Sharia, then banning this barbarity is hardly a sign of human rights abuse, itself.

    Orwell must be rolling in his grave.
    The ones rolling in their graves are the founding fathers.

    That the US still can make laws that targets minorities because the population is up in an irrational frenzy over said minority... is in it self a human rights violation. You cant just pick and choose you know... targeting someone based on sex, religion or ethnicity is a violation of their human rights.. pure and simple.

    And for the record, no we in Europe are no better, but the difference is we dont refuse to cooperate with the UNHRC and find ourselves "above" them just because a few human rights violators are on the council... one of those being the US btw. Like it or not, we believe in human rights over here, even though certain right wingers try to bend the rules in their favour... Berloscoloony comes to mind.
    PeteEU

  9. #49
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The ones rolling in their graves are the founding fathers.

    That the US still can make laws that targets minorities because the population is up in an irrational frenzy over said minority... is in it self a human rights violation. You cant just pick and choose you know... targeting someone based on sex, religion or ethnicity is a violation of their human rights.. pure and simple.

    And for the record, no we in Europe are no better, but the difference is we dont refuse to cooperate with the UNHRC and find ourselves "above" them just because a few human rights violators are on the council... one of those being the US btw. Like it or not, we believe in human rights over here, even though certain right wingers try to bend the rules in their favour... Berloscoloony comes to mind.
    The reason you cooperate with the UN is because your governments are simply too weak to actually pull off any large scale human rights violations. You leave that to the myriad of multinational European corporations which operate within Africa. In West Africa, you won't see the French or British governments getting their hands dirty. However, Europeans are still very much in power of Africa. The difference between today and the 1930s you now leave the colonizing process to Monsanto, Elf and Shell.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #50
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The reason you cooperate with the UN is because your governments are simply too weak to actually pull off any large scale human rights violations. You leave that to the myriad of multinational European corporations which operate within Africa. In West Africa, you won't see the French or British governments getting their hands dirty. However, Europeans are still very much in power of Africa. The difference between today and the 1930s you now leave the colonizing process to Monsanto, Elf and Shell.
    The only reason that some Europeans countries still have power in Africa, is because they prop up various regimes with military assistance. *Cough* France *Cough*

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •