Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 166

Thread: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

  1. #91
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Like... Iran?
    That's a comparison we should be proud of I tells ya.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by commy View Post
    the context....you can draw a 1 to 1 line between US dollars given to a country and human rights abuses carried comitted by that government. colombia and turkey and israel, way up on the list of US "aid", also leading the world in human rights abuses. its a pattern, its not one example. you compare the many examples and you can come to a conclusion......that US aid leads to human rights abuses. its simple logic.

    and sure a country might have the deisre to commit those terrible acts without US funds, Israel for example would be just fine in raping the palestinians.....buts its ability to do so, minus US aid, would be severely hindered. the ratio of aid/human rights abuses accounts for abilty to carry out atrocities, so the conclusion is accurate.
    Many Americans feel that foreign aid should be stopped altogether. Your argument certainly supports that point of view.

  3. #93
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The ones rolling in their graves are the founding fathers.

    That the US still can make laws that targets minorities because the population is up in an irrational frenzy over said minority... is in it self a human rights violation. You cant just pick and choose you know... targeting someone based on sex, religion or ethnicity is a violation of their human rights.. pure and simple.
    Right, because making a "law" which says a court shall not consider religious law is suuuuuuuuch a "human rights" violation. The barbarism!

    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Right, because making a "law" which says a court shall not consider religious law is suuuuuuuuch a "human rights" violation. The barbarism!


    Until quite recently I thought the left was in favor of the separation between Church and State.

    What was it that convinced them otherwise, I wonder?

    The stoning of Gays and adulterers? Multiple wives and marrying children?

    Would one of you lefties out there please explain this turnabout?

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review



    Also of importance: Universal Periodic Review

    I find that this is a show of good faith to participate, even if it means being hypocritically criticised by 'enemies'. Hopefully they were guffawed when they made their statements. They may be less willing to be open and address human rights issued if the UN's leading member did not participate. Improvements here will lead to more effectivity to address improvements there I would hope.

    Thoughts?
    This is an undeniable good thing. Now that America has eschewed its previous stance of superiority, and admitted that it can make modern mistakes just like the rest of the world, it will inevitably force closer scrutiny of the nations that really need it.

    Now, is America's human rights record perfect? Absolutely not -- of course not. But is it as bad as somewhere like Sudan? Also of course not. So, while it may be embarressing officially admitting that human rights haven't always been upheld in America, I'm glad America has swallowed its pride for a greater good.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    This is an undeniable good thing. Now that America has eschewed its previous stance of superiority, and admitted that it can make modern mistakes just like the rest of the world, it will inevitably force closer scrutiny of the nations that really need it.

    Now, is America's human rights record perfect? Absolutely not -- of course not. But is it as bad as somewhere like Sudan? Also of course not. So, while it may be embarressing officially admitting that human rights haven't always been upheld in America, I'm glad America has swallowed its pride for a greater good.
    And that "greater good" is that?

    Should Americans care about the opinions of these corrupt buffoons?

    I don't think so. Should anyone care?
    '

  7. #97
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And that "greater good" is that?

    Should Americans care about the opinions of these corrupt buffoons?

    I don't think so. Should anyone care?
    '
    Perhaps Monseur Le Marteau was suggesting that Americans should care about what the non-corrupt people of the world, who are not buffoons, might think? Or are you simply suggesting that that every nation other than the USA is composed of corrupt buffons?
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  8. #98
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The ones rolling in their graves are the founding fathers.

    That the US still can make laws that targets minorities because the population is up in an irrational frenzy over said minority... is in it self a human rights violation. You cant just pick and choose you know... targeting someone based on sex, religion or ethnicity is a violation of their human rights.. pure and simple.

    And for the record, no we in Europe are no better, but the difference is we dont refuse to cooperate with the UNHRC and find ourselves "above" them just because a few human rights violators are on the council... one of those being the US btw. Like it or not, we believe in human rights over here, even though certain right wingers try to bend the rules in their favour... Berloscoloony comes to mind.

    Which laws would those be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Perhaps Monseur Le Marteau was suggesting that Americans should care about what the non-corrupt people of the world, who are not buffoons, might think? Or are you simply suggesting that that every nation other than the USA is composed of corrupt buffons?
    We're talking of the UN here, a corrupt organization, and the buffoons, dangerous buffoons, on its HRC.

    Who, apart from the third worlders on the UNHRC, actually cares about the human rights record in the United States and what would they do about it anyway? That would be a matter for the Americans to resolve.

    Americans have been solving their own problems for well over two centuries and certainly need no advice from the clowns in the UNHSC who have little knowledge or experience in these matters. Not even in their own countries.

    If you sincerely want to check out a first world country were human rights are in jeopardy, you might try that Irish backwater.

    Criticizing Islam now a crime in Ireland under sharia-like blasphemy law « Creeping Sharia

  10. #100
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: U.S. offers its human rights record for U.N. review

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Why should the US not be put under the same scrutiny as other nations? Why should the US, as the only nation, be given a free pass when it comes to organisations looking into its human rights record? Like it or not the US history on human rights is as bad as the nations on the 47 member UNHRC and in some cases, far worse.
    I would not mind it from a group of like-minded countries. I would accept criticism from most EU members and a variety of other Member States (even the likes of Namibia and South Africa) over many of the states that are, in fact, members of the HRC.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •