Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

  1. #21
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by zip98053 View Post
    So, why was it "right"?
    The war? Given the information at the time and the history of the issue, military action was the right course of action.

  2. #22
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    98053
    Last Seen
    04-19-15 @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    264

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The war? Given the information at the time and the history of the issue, military action was the right course of action.
    It is the course of action that we took. I'm not sure how killing over 100,000 Iraqis was "right". It's just what we did.

    Fundamentally, Bush had some not-so-good people around him who were given him tainted information. The Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz trio lead Bush astray and that caused Bush to lead the American people astray. Even Powell (the guy with the military experience) knew that it was not a good thing to do, but we did anyway.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    55

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Its more the case that he went to war, knowing that the liberals would not like it, because it was the right thing to do.
    If somone opposes the right thing, then they are, by definition, wrong.
    What is wrong with your premise is that "right" is relative and not absolute. Just because it is "right" to you doesn't mean its right to other people. The Iraq war was right in Bush's mind but not right according to hundreds of millions of other Americans. In the same sense, Obama's reforms on
    corporate america was wrong to you, but hundreds of millions of Americans feel they were right. This is why most issues should be relegated to the states. There is too many people in this country for everybody to be happy under the exact same laws. What feels right for you is wrong for me and vice versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, if he isn't your garden variety dumbass, he must be sabotaging the country on purpose. Right?

    Everything he's done has been totally counter-productive. Either he's doing it intentionally, or he's just a stupid mother ****er.
    Funny, that's the thing liberals said about GWB when he was in office. And you know what? It was a bullsh*t premise then and its still a bullsh*t premise now. Obama's only problem is that he has spent his entire life in liberal and big city American areas such as Hawaii, New York, Mass., Chicago, D.C. etc. Many people in these environments are liberal democrats who want health care reform and the other types of legistlation he is passing, so he came to view these people as "America". However, he has rarely stepped into middle America, into the rural, medium sized and small towns that stretch across most of the country and are filled with old-school conservatives who oppose anything that is deemed "socialist" or that might make their taxes go up. He is very disconnected with the colonial minded, ultra-conservative, midwestern and southern Americans who sincerely don't want change and would rather deal with things the way they are. And they don't want bipartisan compromise. Obama already did compromise. The democratic desire is universal health care and the compromise between that and private health care was these reforms. The conservatives don't want compromise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    What is amazing is that there is never any intelligent response to my posts about Obama because there is no argument that can be made in favor of a fool.
    If you ever wrote anything intelligent someone could intelligently respond. Most of what you right is merely malicious, seethingly hateful Obama and liberal bashing that never progresses the current political discourse.

  4. #24
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City View Post
    What is wrong with your premise is that "right" is relative and not absolute.
    That doesnt invalidate my premise at all.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    55

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That doesnt invalidate my premise at all.
    Good job explaining your point.

  6. #26
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City View Post
    Good job explaining your point.
    There's no need - that "right" might be subjective doesn't affect what I said.
    GWB did what he thought was right. The liberals thought it was wrong. When you're doing what you think is right, you dont care if people who are wrong think you are wrong.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    55

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There's no need - that "right" might be subjective doesn't affect what I said.
    GWB did what he thought was right. The liberals thought it was wrong. When you're doing what you think is right, you dont care if people who are wrong think you are wrong.
    That is exactly what I said. You said something different the first time around...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Its more the case that he went to war, knowing that the liberals would not like it, because it was the right thing to do.
    If somone opposes the right thing, then they are, by definition, wrong.
    Here you said that going to war was "right", not simply in the mind of you and GWB, but universally speaking, as if "right" were absolute. And by that standard, if the war was "right" universally, then those who opposed it (liberals) would be wrong. Now however, you appear to have been convinced by my argument and acknowledge that "right" is only relative and not absolute. Therefore we should be able to take your last sentence and replace the words GWB and liberals with Obama and conservatives and it should still stand as logical.

    "Obama did what he thought was right. The conservatives thought it was wrong. When you're doing what you think is right, you dont care if people who are wrong think you are wrong.

  8. #28
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City View Post
    That is exactly what I said.
    So you agree with me. Good.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    55

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So you agree with me. Good.
    That Obama thinks he is doing the right thing? Yea, I agree with that.

  10. #30
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama: "Leadership Isn't Just Legislation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City View Post
    That Obama thinks he is doing the right thing? Yea, I agree with that.
    You must then also agree that there was nothing wrong with GWB, who was doing the right thing, ignoring the liberals in doing so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •