Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 210

Thread: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    I am about as conservative as they come and supported pot being legal. Its a stupid law and always has been. Hell there was a study just released that said hard liquor is worse for you than cocaine and heroin.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here by saying I think drug dealers have bigger concerns than voting. Especially considering felons cannot vote in California.

    I thought I'd have to eat my shoes the day I found myself on the same side as Navy Pride...but here we are. I voted against the proposal because I'm not convinced that marijuana is safe enough to allow it's free consumption. On top of that, even if Prop 19 passes, it's still federally illegal and the law falls the second it get's challenged by the federal government as federal law trumps state law.
    California would end up spending more money that it doesn't have trying to defend the law during the challenge in federal court, etc, etc, etc. While the feds would put a hold on enacting said law for the challenge to go forward, meaning the bill would end up costing the state money without ever making it any money.

    AmIRite?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    I am about as conservative as they come and supported pot being legal. Its a stupid law and always has been. Hell there was a study just released that said hard liquor is worse for you than cocaine and heroin.
    No doubt I agree with you my fellow Falcon.

    However, the best way to get rid of marijuana prohibition is on a FEDERAL level.

    That, however, is going to be quite a difficult task to complete.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #14
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    California would end up spending more money that it doesn't have trying to defend the law during the challenge in federal court, etc, etc, etc. While the feds would put a hold on enacting said law for the challenge to go forward, meaning the bill would end up costing the state money without ever making it any money.

    AmIRite?
    There really is no defending the law. Federal law trumps state law and any judge who could put on his robes without help would strike Prop 19 down in a second.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  5. #15
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    There really is no defending the law. Federal law trumps state law and any judge who could put on his robes without help would strike Prop 19 down in a second.
    Unfortunately, when dealing with matters of the court, things are not always so simple.
    There would have to be hearings, which would require the state to spend money trying to defend the law in Federal Courts.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    12-12-10 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    No doubt I agree with you my fellow Falcon.

    However, the best way to get rid of marijuana prohibition is on a FEDERAL level.

    That, however, is going to be quite a difficult task to complete.
    Which batt? Still in?

    And yes, getting the federal govt to go along is going to be a difficult task. Just think of the billions of tax dollars they would have to give up that has been wasted fighting the "war on drugs".

  7. #17
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
    Which batt? Still in?

    And yes, getting the federal govt to go along is going to be a difficult task. Just think of the billions of tax dollars they would have to give up that has been wasted fighting the "war on drugs".
    Was in 3rd Battalion 325th... which no longer exists anymore. Got out in August 2005.

    Was a "Blue" Falcon (lol).
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    As for me, I support the legalization of pot, but I do not support the motive of Prop 19, which appears to me, to be nothing more than to tax a behavior.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    As for me, I support the legalization of pot, but I do not support the motive of Prop 19, which appears to me, to be nothing more than to tax a behavior.
    Its a Luxury Tax..... Similar to that of Tobacco and Alcohol.

    Being both a tobacco user, and an occasional drinker, I have no problem with paying a luxury tax such as this.

    Does it cost me more to sustain said habits? Yes. But I would much rather pay it on these products I purchase than to pay in the form of higher income taxes, or even worse, higher sales taxes on EVERYTHING (including things I need).
    Its a tax I choose to pay because I choose to participate in a particular activity.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana defeated....

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    The stoners lose again, even in California..........Eat your heart out Disney Dude
    Yay! A great victory for corrupt cops, the DEA, Mexican drug cartels, and teenagers who want to continue to get pot easier than beer or cigarettes!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •