Page 83 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1129

Thread: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

  1. #821
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Most people oppose it outright, period, end of story. Do you honestly think that the Dems were voted out, because people who thought that Obamacare didn't go far enough believed that the Republicans would take it as far as they want it to go? Get real!!
    No, but some of the people who wanted it to be larger didn't turn out at all, hence the enthusiasm gap.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    How can anyone that supports a bill, that authorizes the president to form his own private army, with zero congressional oversight, call himself, "objective"?
    What in the holy mother of **** are you talking about
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #822
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by E_Pluribus_Venom View Post
    That is false:



    Source: Raw Story

    You also assume singular issues like a lack of getting the HC you wanted led to the results on Nov. 2nd, and nothing could be further from the truth. The top 2 issues are the economy and unemployment, and it's my opinion that waiting 2 more years to hope that you put a Republican in the White House won't be a winning strategy come 2012 (once those top 2 issues are considered). Americans are upset, but they want results. Being told to wait 2 years that maybe something will happen sounds rather ...well.... "hopey changey".
    Raw story falls into the Blog catagory, this is the main stream media.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  3. #823
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    so, 4 in 10 adults think the new law did not go far enough to change the health care system, regardless of whether they support the law, oppose it or remain neutral. Meaning you don't know which of those three groups the 4 comes from.

    1 in 5 oppose the law because they think the federal government should not be involved in health care at all. That leaves the other 5, who oppose it and want it repealed. So, 6 in 10 either don't want goverment invovled and want it repealed or simply don't want it and want it repealed. Last time I checked, 6 was more than 4.
    Umm I'm a bit confused by your math.

    40% wanted a stronger health care law.
    20% wanted the government out entirely.
    That leaves 40% who either think the law was about right, or who wanted SOME reform albeit smaller.

    Not exactly a stinging rejection of health care reform.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #824
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Umm I'm a bit confused by your math.

    40% wanted a stronger health care law.
    20% wanted the government out entirely.
    That leaves 40% who either think the law was about right, or who wanted SOME reform albeit smaller.

    Not exactly a stinging rejection of health care reform.
    Ok, let's try this...
    Health Care Law - Rasmussen Reports™
    Just before midterm congressional elections in which the new national health care law has been a major issue, 58% of Likely U.S. Voters favor repeal of the measure, including 45% who Strongly Favor it. That’s the highest overall level of support for repeal since mid-September.
    58% is pretty close to my 6 in 10 number.

    A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that only 36% of voters oppose repeal of the health care law, with 27% who are Strongly Opposed.
    Again, pretty close to 4 in 10 (giving you the benefit of rounding up, too)

  5. #825
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Even 58% is hardly overwhelming for a specific policy item. Furthermore, it still didn't break it down by WHY they oppose it. Don't assume that all of them support repealing it with no alternate plan (or just a few small token gestures) for reform.

    EDIT: According to a CBS exit poll which DID break the opposition down into its various components. 48% of voters on Tuesday wanted to repeal it, 31% wanted to expand it, and 16% were satisfied with it the way it was. And these were just the voters who turned out on Tuesday, who were more conservative than the electorate usually is. At the very least, this indicates to me that the voters are no more predisposed to Republican health care plans than to the health care reform law that passed last spring.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...in;contentBody
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-05-10 at 02:16 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #826
    Student E_Pluribus_Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    12-31-13 @ 05:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    187

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Raw story falls into the Blog catagory, this is the main stream media.
    They're not the source of the poll results, Peabody... Associate Press is. The link gives credit to the quotations provided.

  7. #827
    Student E_Pluribus_Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    12-31-13 @ 05:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    187

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    so, 4 in 10 adults think the new law did not go far enough to change the health care system, regardless of whether they support the law, oppose it or remain neutral. Meaning you don't know which of those three groups the 4 comes from.
    ........Which doesn't matter because they feel it doesn't go far enough to change the health care system, which indicates disappointment with "appetizer" legislation when what you really want is a full-course restructuring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    1 in 5 oppose the law because they think the federal government should not be involved in health care at all. That leaves the other 5, who oppose it and want it repealed. So, 6 in 10 either don't want goverment invovled and want it repealed or simply don't want it and want it repealed. Last time I checked, 6 was more than 4.
    You're attempting to define the ambiguity of the other 4 in 5, without knowing why they oppose. What we do know is that 4 out of 10 oppose because it doesn't go far enough, and that 1 in 5 think government should keep hands off... and 2 (the last time I checked) is greater than 1.
    Last edited by E_Pluribus_Venom; 11-05-10 at 02:06 AM.

  8. #828
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Context is everything.

    Some people oppose it because it didn't go FAR ENOUGH.

    I'm not American. So I can actually look at things objectively and not get caught up in your rediculous partisan hackery. Which you excel at by the way.
    That is spin, no one OPPOSED Obamacare because it didn't go far enough, they were disappointed but didn't vote against Obama for that reason. Notice that you ran from the actual election results. You are in denial.

  9. #829
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That is spin, no one OPPOSED Obamacare because it didn't go far enough, they were disappointed but didn't vote against Obama for that reason. Notice that you ran from the actual election results. You are in denial.
    Ran from the election results?

    I'm well aware the Dems took a hammering. And rightfully so, they're as full of **** as Republicans are, as I've always said.

    Sometimes it bothers me in certain regards, because there are many legitimate reasons to shaft the Dems and Obama if you really think about it, the problem is, that's not what Republicans run on.

    You don't win elections by pointing out whats actually wrong and having constructive critisism, you win elections by painting Obama as Satan, which is the ONLY THING the Republicans have been doing for the last 2 years. That's pretty much it. They have no new ideas, they have no ideas at all I think, and although the Dems deserved a hammering for being a miserable excuse for a party, you just went ahead and replaced them with another pathetic excuse for a party.

    Legitimate concerns about Obamas presidency have been drowned out by other bollocks that is inconsequential.

    So in short, thanks for replacing one group of assholes, with another.

  10. #830
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That is spin, no one OPPOSED Obamacare because it didn't go far enough, they were disappointed but didn't vote against Obama for that reason. Notice that you ran from the actual election results. You are in denial.
    actually, it is you who proves himself clueless in the face of the facts against your argument
    if Obama, while he had control of all houses of government, had instituted an expansion to medicare to all citizens (THE public option), that would have given the democrats huge political cover this election season

    what this election was about was the same thing Bill Clinton's team understood:
    it's the economy, stupid
    Obama's failure to implement an FDR-like program to offer low paying jobs in public works until the economy rebounded - that was the squandering of a mandate which led to this return of the house to the same party which broke our economy
    the shrub bailed out wall street, Obama failed to bail out main street
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 83 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •