Page 77 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1129

Thread: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

  1. #761
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    I agree with much of what you posted and appreciate the common sense and objective point of view.

    I disagree with you on one issue however and that is the need for spending cuts to offset tax cuts as there will be no tax cuts only extension of the Bush tax cuts that are in place right now. I do believe there is room however to cut taxes in other areas.

    The bottom line is it is imperative that we get a large number of those 16 million unemployed back to work and paying taxes. The only way that tax revenue will drop is if unemployment continues to remain this high. Obama has yet to show any indication that he understands that govt. revenue is impacted more by the unemployed than by the current tax cuts in place.

  2. #762
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Note how the market is taking off again. It crept upward as it became more and more apparent in recent months that Republicans would win Tuesday, and now, with Obama's agenda in the crapper, business can start acting like business again, albeit carefully.

  3. #763
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Note how the market is taking off again. It crept upward as it became more and more apparent in recent months that Republicans would win Tuesday, and now, with Obama's agenda in the crapper, business can start acting like business again, albeit carefully.

    QE2 has a bit to play in this too. But I did make my bets on the Republicans get back in.

  4. #764
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Obama doesn't have the political instincts of either Clinton or Reagan, i.e. his 200 million dollar a day trip to India, nor does he have the economic policy of either. Reagan's was pro growth, pro business, and pro American taxpayer, Clinton's was adopting the GOP Contract with America, and Obama's is payback to his contituent groups. Obama if he doesn't do something to promote the private sector will be fired in 2012
    We'll see. We'll see.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #765
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    11-04-10 @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    24

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Facts, don't bring facts into this discussion-soundbites, now that's more like it. do you know what soundbites are?

  6. #766
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by jdebate View Post
    Facts, don't bring facts into this discussion-soundbites, now that's more like it. do you know what soundbites are?
    I can't image any American not knowing. We love them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #767
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    For many things that works just fine. But take medicine. You're daughter has been hurt, or is iill, or needs an expenive treatment. Explain to me how you negotiate. What's your leverage? Can you walk away? Go to a city with more than one hospital, is one much cheaperr than another? Not likely. What you describe works with those things you can reasonably effect by being able to walk away. Medicne lacks that control. So does education in a large way. Those most in need suffer not because the product is inferior, but because the obsticles in their path hinders everyone. Competition will only make that gap larger. A cheaper version, an inferior version will be created to take that poor money. Maybe give a grade, but not show concern for actual learning.
    You completely avoided my question

    Without competition for profits, how do we know what things should be priced?

    Who sets the prices, and who/how can it ever be said that a price is too high or too low


    So letís take medicine. Nobody involved in medicine makes money in your world. How do we decide what to charge, and how do we know if that price is too high or too low?

  8. #768
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    You completely avoided my question

    Without competition for profits, how do we know what things should be priced?

    Who sets the prices, and who/how can it ever be said that a price is too high or too low


    So let’s take medicine. Nobody involved in medicine makes money in your world. How do we decide what to charge, and how do we know if that price is too high or too low?
    The federal government will tell us.

  9. #769
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    You completely avoided my question

    Without competition for profits, how do we know what things should be priced?

    Who sets the prices, and who/how can it ever be said that a price is too high or too low


    So let’s take medicine. Nobody involved in medicine makes money in your world. How do we decide what to charge, and how do we know if that price is too high or too low?
    I believe I answered that. There's a procedure. I was part owner of a little antiques shop a few years agoe. We had a formual for setting prices 9except for barbie Dolls as people who wanted those would pay any number I suggested). Competition played no role.

    As for medicine and education, it would work much the same way. Competition as we have now with hospitals have not brough costs down. Nor is one hopsital in any city cheaper than another. Medicine avoids the cost controls that comeptiton brings because the consumer has little to know barganing power when push comes to shove. I can't say I'll take my injuried love one some place else, or price compare.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #770
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    The federal government will tell us.
    Or the insurance company.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 77 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •