Page 75 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1129

Thread: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

  1. #741
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    The Democrats should have thought about moderation, BEFORE they locked Republocans out of Health care negotiations. I'm sure they will recieve the same courtesy they just gave in 2009.
    The way GOPers have thought about "moderation" all these years?

  2. #742
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Revisionist history? Offer verifiable actual facts to refute the statement?
    You're asking me for facts when you did not provide any? You're kidding right?

  3. #743
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    Once again, a lovely sounding platitude from the right wing that conveniently ignores some ugly realities.

    My brother had major heart surgery earlier this year to treat a genetic heart defect that had become life-threatening. (IOW, he did not have heart problems because of unhealthy lifestyle.) The good news: he survived the surgery. The bad news: he has not recovered enough to be able to return to work, and his out of pocket medical expenses, which run into six figures, far more than his income, have forced him into bankruptcy.

    This is not an unusual problem
    I am glad to hear that the surgeries were successful for your brother. Isn't it great that we have the greatest doc's in the world that can pull off these miracles on a daily basis?

    As for bankruptcy over Medical costs, it is a problem, and one that I don't think you'll find anyone here saying that it should go unaddressed. However, you said that your brothers condition was a genetic defect, so it was one he knew had to be taken care of at some point no? How much did he save while he was working to mitigate these costs? Did he take advantage of the programs that most hospitals, and even the government offers in cases like these?

    Hard to make a real determination unless the entire story is told.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #744
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,313

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    You're asking me for facts when you did not provide any? You're kidding right?
    I always provide verifiable facts from bea.gov, bls.gov, and the U.S. Treasury Dept. Still laughing after the historic repudiation of the Obama agenda on Tuesday night?
    Last edited by Conservative; 11-04-10 at 10:09 AM.

  5. #745
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffight View Post
    the education product is already inferior...competition will not make it worse (probably can't make it worse...just sayin)

    medicine is not inferior, BECAUSE there is competition HEAVY competition.
    Largely, that's not true either. Most schools are pretty good, and students with involved parents and motivation to do well, do well. They are pockets of problem schools, and there problems will not eb fixed by competition. Uninvolved parents in inner city problem areas have more problems than competition can fix. We have this utpoian mindset concerning competition which ignores some of the real draw backs. We can deal with rent-to-own type atlernatives, paying more for less, but education is too important to treat as a commodity. Same with medicine.

    And medicine is inferior for some. And that is the point. Competition has made it so health care is great for those who can afford it, but not so much for those who can't. Some simply do get inferior care.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #746
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,341
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I always provide verifiable facts from bea.gov, bls.gov, and the U.S. Treasury Dept. Still laughing after the historic repudiation of the Obama agenda on Tuesday night?
    You throw numbers out there without context. Numbers alone don't tell the story.

    So. While we're on this subject, repudiation? Might I remind you, several presidents who lost this many seats in a mid term were re-elected. And the way things look for the GOP, he will get re-elected, since they can't seem to scrounge up a single decent candidate to run in 2012.

    I think.... O'Donnel/Palin would be a good ticket

  7. #747
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    This is easy.

    in a capitalistic society prices are set to maximize profits. If your operating expenses are too high, or you charge too much because you want even more profit, competition can come in with a lower price, thereby stealing your business. If you don't adjust, you go out of business.

    Explain how it works in a world where competition ceases to exist. how do prices get set and what pressure exists to push prices down?
    For many things that works just fine. But take medicine. You're daughter has been hurt, or is iill, or needs an expenive treatment. Explain to me how you negotiate. What's your leverage? Can you walk away? Go to a city with more than one hospital, is one much cheaperr than another? Not likely. What you describe works with those things you can reasonably effect by being able to walk away. Medicne lacks that control. So does education in a large way. Those most in need suffer not because the product is inferior, but because the obsticles in their path hinders everyone. Competition will only make that gap larger. A cheaper version, an inferior version will be created to take that poor money. Maybe give a grade, but not show concern for actual learning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #748
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,313

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    You throw numbers out there without context. Numbers alone don't tell the story.

    So. While we're on this subject, repudiation? Might I remind you, several presidents who lost this many seats in a mid term were re-elected. And the way things look for the GOP, he will get re-elected, since they can't seem to scrounge up a single decent candidate to run in 2012.

    I think.... O'Donnel/Palin would be a good ticket
    No President since 1938 lost as many seats as Obama thus making this election historic and that is context. Not worried about a decent candidate in 2012 as Obama got elected with the worst resume in U.S. history.

    For some reason it is always a question of context when anyone posts actual data. The actual data IS context.

  9. #749
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No President since 1938 lost as many seats as Obama thus making this election historic and that is context.
    FDR was re-elected in 1940. Presidents Truman and Clinton also survived mid-term electoral routs. The 2010 election outcome will probably have little bearing on the outcome of the 2012 Presidential election if history is a guide. Factors such as the state of the economy, how Republicans govern (e.g., did they follow through on their key campaign commitments), whether one side or the other overreaches, who will be the Republican nominee, etc., will have a larger bearing.

  10. #750
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Might I remind you, several presidents who lost this many seats in a mid term were re-elected.

    Ah, the Clinton model....Obama is no Clinton.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 75 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •