Page 73 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 1129

Thread: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

  1. #721
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It was more than just a wave election, it was a tidal wave when you factor in state and local election results. The entire Industrial Midwest changed this election so apparently the dumb people there don't realize how good Obama has been to them.
    If your narrative is correct (i.e. this was an overwhelming rejection of Obama's policies), then how do you explain the fact that Obama still has a 45% approval rating? I mean, surely there would be other data points besides the election to indicate that this theory was correct. Shouldn't his approval rating be down around 25-30% if voters are as irate with him as you are?

    Sorry but I'm sticking with my deterministic theory that seems to hold up consistently from one election to another: Look at the state of the economy, the president's approval rating, and the number of seats that the incumbent party is defending. That will give you a pretty good estimate as to what the results of the election will look like.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-03-10 at 10:00 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #722
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    dems have an advantage in that poorly educated and ignorant people tend to reproduce at faster rates than intelligent and self sufficient people and dem policies since FDR has been to subsidize the creation and expansion of the poorly educated and dependent class.
    The expansion of the poorly educated since FDR? Are you ****ing high? How many people even graduated from high school in the 30's?

  3. #723
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If your narrative is correct (i.e. this was an overwhelming rejection of Obama's policies), then how do you explain the fact that Obama still has a 45% approval rating? I mean, surely there would be other data points besides the election to indicate that this theory was correct. Shouldn't his approval rating be down around 25-30% if voters are as irate with him as you are?

    Sorry but I'm sticking with my deterministic theory that seems to hold up consistently from one election to another: Look at the state of the economy, the president's approval rating, and the number of seats that the incumbent party is defending. That will give you a pretty good estimate as to what the results of the election will look like.
    Some polls have him at 38%. As I stated there is a beautiful country out there in "flyover" country, you need to get out more. 19 State legislatures turned over last night so hopefully you and Obama will just keep that attitude that the American people just don't understand how great Obama really is.

  4. #724
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,685

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    The expansion of the poorly educated since FDR? Are you ****ing high? How many people even graduated from high school in the 30's?
    dependent -ie those addicted to government handouts

    3rd-4th-5th generation welfare recipients

    poorly educated is relative just as is "poor"

    our "poor" americans are far wealthier than the middle class in many nations and have more assets than the "rich" had only three of four generations ago.



  5. #725
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Some polls have him at 38%.
    The RCP average (as opposed to polls that you handpick to make your case) currently has him at 45.4%. That's nothing for Obama to brag about, but it's not terrible and hardly evidence of an electorate furious with him. In fact, it's almost exactly the same as Bush's approval rating on the eve of his narrow reelection in 2004.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    As I stated there is a beautiful country out there in "flyover" country, you need to get out more.
    Aaaaaaaand more random attacks against my place of residence rather than discussing anything substantive. You're on a roll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    19 State legislatures turned over last night so hopefully you and Obama will just keep that attitude that the American people just don't understand how great Obama really is.
    ...

    ...
    Do you really, honestly think I wrote anything even resembling those sentiments in this thread? If so, there's not really any point in continuing this discussion since you're just going to ignore anything that's written, and replace it with what you imagine Generic Big Bad Libruhl believes.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-03-10 at 10:16 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #726
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    [QUOTE=TurtleDude;1059080780]dems have an advantage in that poorly educated and ignorant people tend to reproduce at faster rates than intelligent and self sufficient people and dem policies since FDR has been to subsidize the creation and expansion of the poorly educated and dependent class.[/QUOTE}

    ....who grow up to be tea partiers....

  7. #727
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The RCP average (as opposed to polls that you handpick to make your case) currently has him at 45.4%. That's nothing for Obama to brag about, but it's not terrible and hardly evidence of an electorate furious with him. In fact, it's almost exactly the same as Bush's approval rating on the eve of his narrow reelection in 2004.


    Aaaaaaaand more random attacks against my place of residence rather than discussing anything substantive. You're on a roll.
    Many confuse personal approval with policy approval. That wave election as you called it was historic and carried over into the states. It is the Obama policies that continue to be the issue, NOT Obama as a person. I don't like his arrogance nor his resume but other than that he seems like a very nice guy.

  8. #728
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    [QUOTE=upsideguy;1059080839]
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    dems have an advantage in that poorly educated and ignorant people tend to reproduce at faster rates than intelligent and self sufficient people and dem policies since FDR has been to subsidize the creation and expansion of the poorly educated and dependent class.[/QUOTE}

    ....who grow up to be tea partiers....
    Let's see, an historic election last night rejecting Obama's 4 million added to the unemployment roles since he took office and 3 trillion to the debt and that is the best you can do? Don't blame you for being scared of any American who dares stand up for the Constitution.

  9. #729
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    11-04-10 @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    24

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that doesn't dispute my point
    Facts don't bring facts into this discussion-soundbites, now that's more like it.

  10. #730
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,685

    Re: 2010 Midterm Results Discussion

    [QUOTE=upsideguy;1059080839]
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    dems have an advantage in that poorly educated and ignorant people tend to reproduce at faster rates than intelligent and self sufficient people and dem policies since FDR has been to subsidize the creation and expansion of the poorly educated and dependent class.[/QUOTE}

    ....who grow up to be tea partiers....
    that claim of yours is barren of facts and seems to be spawned by bitterness. the average tea-party attendee is certainly better educated that the groups that gave Obama his highest levels of support in terms of percentages



Page 73 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •