Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 276

Thread: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

  1. #131
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You probably would not as you have already thrown out all the teachings of the Old Testament and 90% of the New Testament.
    I have never been one to worship a book. And frankly that is what people do when they pretend that a book compiled by a bunch of religious leaders who debated what should and should not be in it 1500 years ago is somehow an authority on anything but the politics of that era.

    It was put together by man, but inspired by God.
    Terrorists were inspired by God to fly planes into the towers and our last president was inspired by God to invade Iraq. Inspiration from God seems to coincide quite nicely with political ambition.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-30-10 at 03:18 PM.

  2. #132
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I have never been one to worship a book. And frankly that is what people do when they pretend that a book compiled by a bunch of religious leaders who debated what should and should not be in it 1500 years ago is somehow an authority on anything but the politics of that era.
    We don't worship any book. We worship God. The book does however give us incite into what God wants and expects.

    You have the wrong idea if you think otherwise.

    As for the "politics" angle, again you are dead wrong. The Bible is not a book on or about government. It is about our spiritual guidance in this life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #133
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    We don't worship any book. We worship God. The book does however give us incite into what God wants and expects.
    Oh does it now? Which of the hundreds of translations and versions of this book has that exactly right?

    You have the wrong idea if you think otherwise.
    My idea is that people are often motivated by money and power and selling a book said to be inspired by an invisible and silent supernatural deity and orchestrasting a church around it, seems to coincide nicely with those motivations.

    As for the "politics" angle, again you are dead wrong. The Bible is not a book on or about government. It is about our spiritual guidance in this life.
    ROFL! Yup,establshing a paternal hierachy and declaring certain groups of people the "chosen ones" is certainly not political, it is about good ol' spiritual guidance.

  4. #134
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Terrorists were inspired by God to fly planes into the towers and our last president was inspired by God to invade Iraq. Inspiration from God seems to coincide quite nicely with political ambition.
    They are free to claim such, does not necessarily make it true. The Bible teaches that either one was wrong, so logic dictates they were not inspired by God. It is pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #135
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    They are free to claim such, does not necessarily make it true. The Bible teaches that either one was wrong, so logic dictates they were not inspired by God. It is pretty simple.
    Yes, the book compiled of books written by politcialy motivated people and editted by politically motivated people and translated and published by politically motivated people, all of whom say they were "inspired by God" stands above any other peron's claim that their actions were truly inspired by God. It makes perfect logical sense.

  6. #136
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    I used to pass this church everytime I got on the interstate, and my school almost had our graduation at this church. It's crazy this made national news, and good for him. I hope the church accepts him, but of course I'm not holding my breath.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #137
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Oh does it now? Which of the hundreds of translations and versions of this book has that exactly right?
    It is amazing isn't it? Through all those translations etc. The morals of it's teachings stay exactly the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    My idea is that people are often motivated by money and power and selling a book said to be inspired by an invisible and silent supernatural deity and orchestrasting a church around it, seems to coincide nicely with those motivations.
    In the case of the original authors of the different books of the Bible, they had literally nothing to gain, this does not fit. In the case of Jesus, he taught us that material things are not the way.

    Of course people have done evil in the name of God, but it is in direct conflict with the teachings of Christ.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    ROFL! Yup,establshing a paternal hierachy and declaring certain groups of people the "chosen ones" is certainly not political, it is about good ol' spiritual guidance.
    The Old Testament, is God's law for his chosen people. It was a political system at that time and it helped them survive very trying times. That said, as for modern day Christians it is an historical reference into God's wants for us.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 10-30-10 at 03:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I've always found this term "struggling" with gay thoughts to be funny. It is amazingly arroagant to assume that people are fighting against who they are simply because you do not their behavior.
    Were men made to have sex with every woman on earth? Straight Christians struggle against straight thoughts too. This pastor has chosen a path of sinful perversion and should not be allowed to serve as a pastor. It would be like having an adulterer leading a church as a pastor and saying sexual immorality is not sinful.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #139
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Yes, the book compiled of books written by politcialy motivated people and editted by politically motivated people and translated and published by politically motivated people, all of whom say they were "inspired by God" stands above any other peron's claim that their actions were truly inspired by God. It makes perfect logical sense.
    No proof exists at all that political motivation had anything to do with the original writings. The books were not written by kings or princes. They were written by common folk who died in obscurity for the most part, or as martyrs. So the majority of the authors gained nothing but death.

    So again historically you are off course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #140
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is amazing isn't it? Through all those translations etc. he morals of it's teachings stay exactly the same.
    Do they now? That must be why we have so many different sects of Christianity, many of which have a history of killing each other.

    In the case of the original authors of the different books of the Bible, they had literally nothing to gain, this does not fit. In the case of Jesus, he taught us that material things are not the way.
    Money and power is definately nothing to gain. I'm sure when Joseph Smith was translating his holy book out of a hat he had "nothing" to gain. That is why his church is one of the most powerful and wealthiest in the world now. Funny how that works.

    Of course people have done evil in the name of God, but it is in direct conflict with the teachings of Christ.
    Those darn Christians, so unlike ther Christ.

    The Old Testament, is God's law for his chosen people. It was a political system at that time and it helped them survive very trying times. That said, as for modern day Christians it is an historical reference into God's wants for us.
    Oh yes, because stoning adulterers and homosexuals is all in a day of God's work.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •