Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 276

Thread: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

  1. #91
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    I have strong religious beliefs and I believe the Bible is one of the greatest spiritual guides ever written. However I won't agree with your statement nor will I disagree with it. I think everything in the Bible needs to be examined in the context it was written, and with proper translation. For instance, the word "fornication" was a very improper translation of the Greek word Pornea. While fornication means sex outside of marriage, Pornea is a general term simply meaning sexual immorality, or "playing the harlot" without giving any specifics as to exactly what forms of sex are in this category.
    I know this and absolutly agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Also, one thing Christians like to ignore, is that even Biblical laws change overtime to fit with their society.
    Here I will disagree. The laws put down by Jesus and Paul have not changed, society did. We are just looking at it from far away.

    God bless brother.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 10-29-10 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #92
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    My apologies to anyone I may have offended. I'll choose my words more carefully.

  3. #93
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If it's between him and God, it's none of your business if he's a sinner or not. We are all sinners, and I think that is pretty established in in the Bible. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

    Christianity has always been a refuge for homosexuals because if you are willing to play the traditional role of a man, it's easy. Producing a child is not hard. I'm gay and I could do it. From a Christian perspective, are you really willing to write off 30 some odd years of this guy's work just because he is now coming out? He has probably done a lot of good. It's hypocrisy to gloss over the good in his life over something like this.

    Your job is not to judge. Your job is to love. It is God's job to judge. I'm not even Christian and I understand that better than you do.
    Is anyone even bothering to read our initial thoughts on this thread? That is what we said Orion. Then the anti Christian brigade decide they did not like religion sounding reasonable.

    They also got fired up about the sin thing, lol.

    Anyway no offense taken and my apology critical if I sounded harsh.

    Peace, God bless, and good night all.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 10-30-10 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #94
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Here I will disagree. he laws put down by Jesus and Paul have not changed, society did. We are just looking at it from far away.

    God bless brother.
    Christ, I agree, but he never said anything about homosexuality. What about the apostles though? Can any of their edicts be relevant to only their time period? What about women having to have their heads covered when they are in church?
    I'll keep my guns, freedom and money, you can keep the change.

    Math equation for soldiers: M+16=0 terrorist

  5. #95
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If it's between him and God, it's none of your business if he's a sinner or not. We are all sinners, and I think that is pretty established in in the Bible. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

    Christianity has always been a refuge for homosexuals because if you are willing to play the traditional role of a man, it's easy. Producing a child is not hard. I'm gay and I could do it. From a Christian perspective, are you really willing to write off 30 some odd years of this guy's work just because he is now coming out? He has probably done a lot of good. It's hypocrisy to gloss over the good in his life over something like this.

    Your job is not to judge. Your job is to love. It is God's job to judge. I'm not even Christian and I understand that better than you do.
    Look closely Orion, there is no judging here. I could care less if someone is a gay christian, or a straight atheist, or anything in between. But when it comes to my religion, I demand some intellectual honesty. Homosexuality is a sin in the book. I don't ask that believe that homosexuality is a sin, there are many religions where homosexuality isn't a sin at all, but if your going to argue from a christian perspective that homosexuality isn't a sin...then yea, be prepared for people to clearly prove you wrong.

  6. #96
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    At this point you are not even addressing anything worth responding to. It has become nothing but yet another in a LONG line of your anti religion rants.

    I have to go help a friend move. So God bless and sleep tight man.
    People are free to commit philosophical suicide and I am free to enjoy the absurdity of it.

    I've never been one who enjoys being told what to do by people who know less than me but I recognize that for some strange reason it is important to modern day Christians that they adhere to the words of ancient nomads, so who am I to judge?

  7. #97
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Look closely Orion, there is no judging here. I could care less if someone is a gay christian, or a straight atheist, or anything in between. But when it comes to my religion, I demand some intellectual honesty. Homosexuality is a sin in the book. I don't ask that believe that homosexuality is a sin, there are many religions where homosexuality isn't a sin at all, but if your going to argue from a christian perspective that homosexuality isn't a sin...then yea, be prepared for people to clearly prove you wrong.
    Let us assume that I were a Jeffersonian Christian. In other words, if I followed the Jefferson Bible. How likely would I be to percieve homosexuality as a sin? Furthermore, why would his Bible be any less valid than the one that was crafted by ancient religious leaders who were motivated by their own political ambitions?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-30-10 at 12:11 AM.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Look closely Orion, there is no judging here. I could care less if someone is a gay christian, or a straight atheist, or anything in between. But when it comes to my religion, I demand some intellectual honesty. Homosexuality is a sin in the book. I don't ask that believe that homosexuality is a sin, there are many religions where homosexuality isn't a sin at all, but if your going to argue from a christian perspective that homosexuality isn't a sin...then yea, be prepared for people to clearly prove you wrong.
    Homosexuality is a sin. I think that is quite clear in the Bible. On the other hand, everyone is a sinner so it doesn't really serve us to come down on someone for sinning. In an ideal world it should be possible to be a gay Christian for this reason, or even a pastor. He showed some humility when he came out of the closet and it took a lot of guts to do that. I don't particularly like megachurches and half of the stuff they talk about, but I still know what it means to come out... and I'm not even someone who had to come out to my world wide network of peers. My family was hard enough.

    I realize we are talking about Christians here, but this still goes back to the idea of homosexuality as being a choice. If Christians could get past that, they would see that the pastor can't control who or what he is, and it shouldn't have a bearing on his good work. But... the whole reason why hate of gays exists is because of religion, and pretty much only religion.
    Last edited by Orion; 10-30-10 at 12:12 AM.

  9. #99
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    People are free to commit philosophical suicide and I am free to enjoy the absurdity of it.

    I've never been one who enjoys being told what to do by people who know less than me but I recognize that for some strange reason it is important to modern day Christians that they adhere to the words of ancient nomads, so who am I to judge?
    I think its the way people have used the Bible in negative ways, the controversial history of the Catholic church, and they way modern right wing Christians come off as discriminatory, closed minded and dogmatic, that has turned many people off from the Christianity. The Bible, even with its many contradictions and Old Testament wrath, is a great spiritual book and I think it is filled with some profound truths. Ghandi said it the best "I'd probably be a Christian if I ever met one".
    I'll keep my guns, freedom and money, you can keep the change.

    Math equation for soldiers: M+16=0 terrorist

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Megachurch Pastor Comes Out Of Closet

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    ... the whole reason why hate of gays exists is because of religion, and pretty much only religion.

    Orion, I'd have to disagree with you on that. For one thing, considering homosexuality to be a sin is not the same as hating gays. Hate is an emotional repugnance that carries connotations of a desire to do harm to the hated subject.

    I know people who hate gays and who are utterly non-religious.

    Hatred is rarely rational; it usually comes into being out of some sort of xenophobia, or a bad experience with a class of people, or similar things that result in a strongly negative emotional reaction being established as a habitual response. Justifications (rationalizations) then follow, based on whatever the hater thinks is a legitimate excuse.

    Hating people for being different is hardly a new thing, and far from exclusive to the religious.
    Last edited by Goshin; 10-30-10 at 12:42 AM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •