Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84

Thread: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

  1. #31
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Sounds good to me - the less that's done the less the civilians of this country suffer. And the Democrats weren't cutting taxes for everyone ... unless your view of everyone doesn't include "everyone". Corporate taxes in this country is 2nd in the world behind Japan, and in my state of NJ, corprate tax is at 41%. Other than following the standard view of punitive punishiment for those evil corporations, why wouldn't Republicans want to cut taxes for Corporations?

    The Tax Foundation - U.S. States Lead the World in High Corporate Taxes
    Its all very frustrating when you think about it. Dems want to keep the taxes high for corporate which makes the country unfriendly for businesses. Republicans want to lower them but then ironically want to spend trillions on overseas wars that are incredibly hard to justify as "necessary". Who do you vote for? Ron Paul 2012.
    Last edited by Johnny DooWop; 10-29-10 at 05:04 PM.

  2. #32
    User Taboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    04-15-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    135

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Sounds good to me - the less that's done the less the civilians of this country suffer. And the Democrats weren't cutting taxes for everyone ... unless your view of everyone doesn't include "everyone". Corporate taxes in this country is 2nd in the world behind Japan, and in my state of NJ, corprate tax is at 41%. Other than following the standard view of punitive punishiment for those evil corporations, why wouldn't Republicans want to cut taxes for Corporations?

    The Tax Foundation - U.S. States Lead the World in High Corporate Taxes
    Consideraing corporate tax receipts only amount to about 7% of our total receipts, I would be open to a tax cut that would keep us more competitive with other nations from that standpoint. But, with a tax cut comes a spending cut and I don't see enough spending cuts on any Republican (or Democratic) platforms that will get us there with current tax policy, much less a lower tax policy.

  3. #33
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Taboon View Post
    Exactly why I am using the 2010 budget, which also has budget estimates based on current policies through 2019. If anything, those estimates are now optimistic because the economy continues to sputter so expected receipts will probably have to be brought down. The overall premise remains the same so I can't see why you would say we cannot use the most recent budget as something to base my stances on. Seems to be a bit of a punt to me really.
    Not having a budget passed for the next year hasn't occurred in 35 years. If estimates are so easily used and common as you paint them to be, the budget would be passed onto the next session of congress all the time, yet that's not what occurrs. Why doesn't it occur all the time? It doesn't occur all the time because missing a budget or the 3 dates for passing the budget for the coming fiscal year only occurs when there's a real disaster. This year the problem is the deficit. So your logic and application have nothing to do with reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by CBS News
    WASHINGTON -- Congress will not pass a budget resolution this year because the issue of the soaring national debt hangs over every policy debate in Washington, House Majority Steny Hoyer said today, and it will be impossible to pass a realistic long-term budget until the nation's structural deficit is addressed.

    "Our problem is structural--the product of a generation's worth of easy decisions," Hoyer said at a discussion about the national deficit, hosted by the Third Way, a left-leaning, moderate think tank.

    Hoyer said today that instead of passing a budget resolution, the House is working to adopt a budget enforcement resolution, which will call for even more spending cuts than the president's budget. It will also, he said, reaffirm Congress' commitment to PAYGO rules and endorse the goals of President Obama's bipartisan deficit commission, an 18-member panel charged with creating a plan to bring down the deficit to 3 percent of the economy by 2015.
    Hoyer: No Budget Resolution This Year because of Deficit Concerns - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

    So something realistic isn't possible, therefore your logic of estimates cannot be employed.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #34
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    I love the idea of removing the mortgage interest deductions. Why do people that took out larger loans get to pay less then someone that saved a greater down payment and was more financially responsible?

    But first, we need to cut spending. We have a spending problem more then a taxation problem.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,080

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Do you hear that? No? It's called silence, and its very peaceful. When you hit the Cons with facts like that the threads suddenly become inactive, lol.
    Please. A complete opinion from a "tax website" hardly constitutes facts. I know first hand what I'm talking about because every company I've worked for, many of which I've been senior staff, makes projections based on many factors, a major one of which is tax liability.

    EVERY business makes projections based on tax implications. This is pretty basic stuff.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,080

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I love the idea of removing the mortgage interest deductions. Why do people that took out larger loans get to pay less then someone that saved a greater down payment and was more financially responsible?

    But first, we need to cut spending. We have a spending problem more then a taxation problem.
    Because by buying that house, expecially if you are building, you are impacting the economy about as much as a single individual can. You are feeding the banks, the builder, multiple contractors, the suppliers to those contractors, the city you are building in (property improvement and immediate appreciation, annual taxes), appraisers, real estate agencies, newspapers, etc.

    Housing sales and starts is almost always the leading indicator of economic health. It fuels the nation.

  7. #37
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Taboon View Post
    Consideraing corporate tax receipts only amount to about 7% of our total receipts, I would be open to a tax cut that would keep us more competitive with other nations from that standpoint. But, with a tax cut comes a spending cut and I don't see enough spending cuts on any Republican (or Democratic) platforms that will get us there with current tax policy, much less a lower tax policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouCut
    Each week, the public votes on which items should be brought to the House Floor. Here is a list of previous winning items.



    Week One: Cut the New Non-Reformed Welfare Program ($25 Billion Savings)

    Week Two: Eliminate Federal Employee Pay Raise ($30 Billion Savings)

    Week Three: Reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ($30 Billion Savings)

    Week Four: Sell Excess Federal Property ($15 Billion Savings)

    Week Five: Prohibit Hiring New IRS Agents to Enforce Health Care Law ($15 Billion Savings)

    Week Six: Taxpayer Subsidized Union Activities ($1.2 Billion Savings)

    Week Seven: Prohibit Stimulus Funding for Promotional Signage (Tens of Millions)

    Week Eight: Prohibit Sleeper Car Subsidies on Amtrak ($1.2 billion Savings)

    Week Nine: Bipartisan Proposal to Terminate AEITC ($1.1 billion Savings)

    Week Ten: Require Collection of Unpaid Taxes From Federal Employees ($1 billion Savings)

    Week Eleven: Reduce Government Employment to 2008 Levels ($35 billion Savings)
    Eric Cantor || Republican Whip || YouCut

    Republican 'Pledge to America': spending caps, tax cuts - Jonathan Allen and Jake Sherman and Richard E. Cohen - POLITICO.com


    And old saying: "I can see!" said the blind man, when he opened his eyes.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #38
    User Taboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    04-15-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    135

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Not having a budget passed for the next year hasn't occurred in 35 years. If estimates are so easily used and common as you paint them to be, the budget would be passed onto the next session of congress all the time, yet that's not what occurrs. Why doesn't it occur all the time? It doesn't occur all the time because missing a budget or the 3 dates for passing the budget for the coming fiscal year only occurs when there's a real disaster. This year the problem is the deficit. So your logic and application have nothing to do with reality.



    Hoyer: No Budget Resolution This Year because of Deficit Concerns - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

    So something realistic isn't possible, therefore your logic of estimates cannot be employed.

    You have got to be kidding me. There have been no reforms since the inception of the 2010 budget that would equate to a lower budget deficit than is in the related yearly estimates through 2019. If nothing changes, the deficit will be worse, not better than the 2010 budget estimates. So, there is no reason to change my stance on this issue or question the budget I am using because of that stance. Sorry, but there will be no "Fiscal Policy Ferry" that will magically make things better than they currently are without some major reform. Based on the projected budget deficits there is no way whatsoever to believe that we won't have to make cuts in the areas of Defense, Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid if we are to accomplish a balanced budget. Nice try at changing the subject, or at least delaying it, but your argument really doesn't hold any water. Unless you can prove to me that our estimates in the 2011 budget have any iota of a chance of being rosier than what was included in the 2010 budget estimates.

  9. #39
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Because by buying that house, expecially if you are building, you are impacting the economy about as much as a single individual can. You are feeding the banks, the builder, multiple contractors, the suppliers to those contractors, the city you are building in (property improvement and immediate appreciation, annual taxes), appraisers, real estate agencies, newspapers, etc.

    Housing sales and starts is almost always the leading indicator of economic health. It fuels the nation.
    it's an artifical bubble created by govenment decree. It's the very attitude that gets us into messes like the one we are in. Once all those that can responsibly own a house are in one, the government is compelled to up the anti to keep the bubble inflated.

    At its root, you are making a similar argument as raising minimum wage.

  10. #40
    User Taboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    04-15-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    135

    Re: Employers In US Start Bracing For Higher Tax Withholding

    Great, no arguments from me on those! Now that constitutes about $150 Billion in spending cuts. Only about $600-800 Billion to go. Keep em coming!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •