Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws - CNN.com

    Washington (CNN) -- Bullying and harassment in schools often includes violations of federally protected civil rights, the federal government warned Tuesday in new guidelines for educators on how to address the problem.

    If school administrators fail to properly deal with harassment based on gender, race or other issues, they risk being cited for contributing to a pattern of civil rights violations that could, in extreme cases, lead to a cut in federal funding, according to top officials who spoke to reporters on a conference call about the new guidelines.

    "In extreme cases, schools could be stripped of their federal education monies if they don't comply with all of our civil rights laws," said Russlynn Ali, assistant secretary for civil rights. Also on the call were Arne Duncan, secretary of education, and White House Domestic Policy Council Director Melody Barnes.

  2. #2
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    140

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    What if a student is bullied just for the sake of bullying on the part of the offfenders?
    It seems as though school administrations will be focusing only on specific types of acts.
    Not every student is bullied because of race, gender, etc. How are those students protected? Does the student who wears eyeglasses and is referred to as a nerd or geek enjoy the same protection?

  3. #3
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    But Westboro Baptist can still parade around at funerals claiming 'Thank God for Dead Soldiers'

    The disparities make no sense to me.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Well geez, guess that makes the 8 year old version of me a civil rights hero for taking all those hits...

    There's a response to bullying, not sure if this is the right one.

    The problem is bullying has changed, as one doctor pointed out, bullying doesn't end on the playground, it follows the kid all the way home and onto the internet. Internet has become a part of daily life, it's difficult to avoid it. (Specially if you have a posting account on DP).

    There seems little way to stop this "Cyber Bullying" which is becoming the problem unless you monitor what kids do, and no one wants that either so, rock and a hard place.

  5. #5
    Student Goof Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Last Seen
    11-11-10 @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    257

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well geez, guess that makes the 8 year old version of me a civil rights hero for taking all those hits...

    There's a response to bullying, not sure if this is the right one.

    The problem is bullying has changed, as one doctor pointed out, bullying doesn't end on the playground, it follows the kid all the way home and onto the internet. Internet has become a part of daily life, it's difficult to avoid it. (Specially if you have a posting account on DP).

    There seems little way to stop this "Cyber Bullying" which is becoming the problem unless you monitor what kids do, and no one wants that either so, rock and a hard place.

    What are you talking about? Responsible parents monitor their kids. That is why it's called parenting and not friendship.
    Failure is made possible by liberty.

  6. #6
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    That problem is bullying is that teachers don't have the power to stop it. Schools have thousands of kids of and dozens of teachers making it impossible to keep an eye on all the kids at once. Even worse, there is no tangible evidence of verbal bullying making it impossible to prove. Simply demanding that schools fix the problem isn't going to do much when they don't have the ability.

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,340

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    That problem is bullying is that teachers don't have the power to stop it. Schools have thousands of kids of and dozens of teachers making it impossible to keep an eye on all the kids at once. Even worse, there is no tangible evidence of verbal bullying making it impossible to prove. Simply demanding that schools fix the problem isn't going to do much when they don't have the ability.
    The problem all started, when it became illegal for teachers to whip students. This is just another side effect of that ignorant law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,441

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Bullying is a part of life. it teaches us valuable lessons, this scare mongering and anti-bullying idiocy is nonsense. Media hype and reps pretending to be doing something.


    Please.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #9
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The problem all started, when it became illegal for teachers to whip students. This is just another side effect of that ignorant law.
    I have never agreed with you on anything before and I probably never will, again. But in this one instance, I agree. I think lightening up dicipline of children in general, such as how a lot of parents don't even want to whip their kids in their own private homes anymore, is a reason for the increase in deliquency and young crime rates.

    As for the post by Rev Hound right below yours, that's a little disturbing. Learn something from it? Maybe the kids like me, who stuck up for myself and broke kids noses in the school yard when I went to a new school and got picked on. But the weak little kids who can't fight back sometimes develop lifelong mental problems and insecurities from childhood bullying.

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,340

    Re: Government warns schools that bullying can violate civil rights laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    I have never agreed with you on anything before and I probably never will, again. But in this one instance, I agree. I think lightening up dicipline of children in general, such as how a lot of parents don't even want to whip their kids in their own private homes anymore, is a reason for the increase in deliquency and young crime rates.
    Well, you've only been here for two months, so don't say never.

    As for the post by Rev Hound right below yours, that's a little disturbing. Learn something from it? Maybe the kids like me, who stuck up for myself and broke kids noses in the school yard when I went to a new school and got picked on. But the weak little kids who can't fight back sometimes develop lifelong mental problems and insecurities from childhood bullying.
    I don't disagree with Rev's post. He's right, it does toughen up a kid and gets him ready for the real world.

    Again, it comes down to teaching and parenting. My 10 y/o was getting ****ed with purdy bad at school. His mom and I talked to the principle about it and nothing ever seemed to get done. So, I told my son that it was time for him to knock the living **** out of the next person that picked on him. He's real shy and timid and didn't want to do that; I explained to him that I believed that that was the only way to make it stop and that sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Couple days later, we're on our way to the school house to pick him up, after he got suspended for jacking a kid in the mouth. My point? The teachers didn't do anything about it, so we--his parents--took care of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •