Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

  1. #21
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,777

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    It's not the teleprompter per se, it's how much the President relies on it. No other politician in my memory has ever used it to the extent that he does, and when off it, he does in fact sound like all the other Presidents, if not worse. I don't know about you, but my feeling is that Obama off script is an average speaker, if not slightly below.


    Tim-
    Every single time a president gives a prepared speech they use a teleprompter. Every time. Your partisan beliefs are giving you a confirmation bias. They've done this for decades, because it doesn't make any sense to have a president wasting hours of his day memorizing a speech.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Every single time a president gives a prepared speech they use a teleprompter. Every time. Your partisan beliefs are giving you a confirmation bias. They've done this for decades, because it doesn't make any sense to have a president wasting hours of his day memorizing a speech.
    Hmm.. Partisan eh? Well, maybe, it's possible, but that doesn't change the fact that off the prompter the President is a boob..


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    The Canadian Parliment is the same way. NO teleprompters allowed in there. Harper, although not the most perfect conservative, is ten times more well spoken than Obama. My Gowd, Hoplite, Obama brought a teleprompter in to an elementary school for crying out loud. You have to admit it's a bit much?

    Tim-
    Apparently, President Obama is not smarter than a 5th grader.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    As I said, they have been virtually standard issue since the technology has been invented for speakers of all kinds. They are no different than notes on a piece of paper in front of you. They were used extensively by every US president since the advent of television. They are used by politicians and speakers all over the world today. Nobody ****ing cares.

    Get a new line
    So, since Obama uses one everywhere else, it's not a big deal for him to use one in Parliment, whent it's never been done before. Got it.

  5. #25
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    It's not the teleprompter per se, it's how much the President relies on it. No other politician in my memory has ever used it to the extent that he does and when off it, he does in fact sound like all the other Presidents, if not worse. I don't know about you, but my feeling is that Obama off script is an average speaker, if not slightly below.
    Then you need to pay more attention. Watch some of the unscripted events Bush or Clinton spoke at where there were no teleprompters or notes of any kind, watch the answers given in debates by senatorial candidates.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  6. #26
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,434
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    It's easy to understand why Obamatrons get upset when folks bring up "The One We Have Been Waiting For's" dependence on what Mondale calls the "idiot boards". It is a reflection of what he has been exposed to be. Lacking.

    And what could be worse than the comparison of Obama to Bush? What they believed (while chanting Yes We can) was unthinkable is a valid comparison. Bush was actually pretty good at stump speeches, and his weren't plagiarized!

    Yes Obitrons, president's have used teleprompteurs, but we were told Obama was a brilliant man. The mostest brialliantist affirmative action president in the world, yet he cannot not give a speech extemporaneously... to little children? Or about his country? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

    King had a dream, and Obama had a "Gift". Had. Like all things Obama, it didn't take long to realize he's not what he was cracked up to be. But the Journolists did a good job covering his ass.
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, in a book out next week, tells of congratulating freshman Sen. Obama on a phenomenal speech. Without a hint of conceit, Mr. Obama replied, "Harry, I have a gift."
    100 Days: 'Harry, I Have a Gift' - WSJ.com
    The Gift has left the building.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-23-10 at 05:53 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  7. #27
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,188

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I wonder if anyone in the Parliment will yell 'You Lie!'... it's not frowned upon there, you know
    Actually it's on the "unparliamentary language" list. "The Honourable Member is misinformed" or "The Honourable Member is mistaken in his claim, or even "The Hon. Member is being economical with the truth..." is acceptable. An MP who oversteps the mark can be "named" by the speaker, and forced to leave the chamber for the day. Because they are a little behind the times, "**** you!" isn't on the list.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Fact: Every President has used a teleprompter.
    Fact: There's no data to suggest Obama using it more than anyone else.
    Fact: Those who suggest he does use it more have no data to back it up.

    Unless someone can find or actually track themselves the number of times Obama speaks in public and of that number how many times he used and did not use a teleprompter, then compare that ratio to the same equation applied to at least several more Presidents to establish enough data points to declare a trend and an abnormal number on Obama's part, NO ONE has any argument.

    All I see is a bunch of people who dislike the President and so they allow themselves to believe things which they have no factual data to support, something which they will do at the same time they accuse their opponents of believing things which they have no factual data to support. Its simple hypocrisy, and there's no way around it. Its a double standard where one gives his side an advantage of not actually having to back up its statements while demanding the support of his opponent's argument reach an extreme standard. I don't know if its laziness on their part, after all its easy to do no work to support your own argument and then demand and insane amount from your opponent, since you never have to admit you're wrong because your opponent didn't met you're impossible standards and therefore you just default to the position that you're right. Or maybe its just stupidity and you're incapable of actually living up to a reasonable standard of finding and researching support for your argument.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Actually it's on the "unparliamentary language" list. "The Honourable Member is misinformed" or "The Honourable Member is mistaken in his claim, or even "The Hon. Member is being economical with the truth..." is acceptable. An MP who oversteps the mark can be "named" by the speaker, and forced to leave the chamber for the day. Because they are a little behind the times, "**** you!" isn't on the list.
    I wonder how they say 'Your momma' in Parliment?

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the forest
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 11:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    104

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    I think no one wants to admit it, but I think our President has a reading impairment. He cannot make a speech with written notes like most people. He's looking more and more pitiful every day. It's sad to watch America become weaker right before our eyes.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •