Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77

Thread: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

  1. #11
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    The Canadian Parliment is the same way. NO teleprompters allowed in there. Harper, although not the most perfect conservative, is ten times more well spoken than Obama. My Gowd, Hoplite, Obama brought a teleprompter in to an elementary school for crying out loud. You have to admit it's a bit much?

    Tim-
    As I said, they have been virtually standard issue since the technology has been invented for speakers of all kinds. They are no different than notes on a piece of paper in front of you. They were used extensively by every US president since the advent of television. They are used by politicians and speakers all over the world today. Nobody ****ing cares.

    Get a new line
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  2. #12
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    The Canadian Parliment is the same way. NO teleprompters allowed in there. Harper, although not the most perfect conservative, is ten times more well spoken than Obama. My Gowd, Hoplite, Obama brought a teleprompter in to an elementary school for crying out loud. You have to admit it's a bit much?

    Tim-
    It really would be a good thing if the U.S. had something similar where the Congress could have an unscriped, impromptu Q&A with the President on what he's doing, what he's planning and the results of what he and the Executive branch has accomplished. Instead of the canned, written, and projected speaches with no questions from the press after. Even when there are questions our Presidents have chosen who they want and, to my understanding, know what the questions will be before it's asked. No teleprompter to the rescue with the Brits or Canadians.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Its truly sick to see some of the ways people talk about a political opponent, and the President no less, these days. There's not respect anymore left in politics and thats what's really dividing people. People can still get along if they disagree politically however today if someone isn't perfectly in line they suddenly become the scum of the earth.

    How can you claim any moral high ground? Is that the America you want to create, one where one's political party is in charge and all dissents against it are mocked, called vile insults, treated as idiots, and disrespected in all other aspects of life to the point where there's not even communication between the two? Pardon me if I don't want to create a cult of snobbery, and this goes out to people on both sides by the way, where all non-members are treated as second class citizens and not as equals and Americans one and the same.

    Regardless of your political viewpoints Americans are or at least were, and should be a people of unregulated equality in politics. One man's vote is worth the same as any other's, to the bum on the street to the wealthiest American. To a left-wing Commie and a right-wing fascist. Being an American citizen and having the ability to cast a vote gives us each the RIGHT to an equally valid viewpoint and perspective. We're all Americans, and we all have a say in our government, and each one of us should respect each other's right to that say. When you say these things, there's no respect.

    Now don't give me any crap about how the other side isn't showing me any respect so why should I as a party member/support/individual? Again, its about the moral high ground. You take the moral high ground because you are better, its your sign and banner that proves the level of maturity and devotion to the principles of this country you have achieved. And there will be sacrifices for taking that stance. Whether its having to bite one's tongue, educate yourself beyond pundits and biased news, accepting one's errors when they realized rather than simply rationalizing it away because one cannot accept the enemy's victory, or even taking a bullet for those principles. However Americans were killed in Iraq or Afghanistan because we choose the moral high ground? I'll tell you the answer is every single of one of them, we have the nuclear capacity to have destroyed both those countries ending whatever threat may have existed there without losing a single life. Of course there are realpolitik considerations but many Americans on the ground have died to avoid civilian causalities, avoid destruction of building, etc. They have died because as a nation we have said that we will conduct warfare in a way which is morally higher than our enemies and we have paid for it in lives. One may not see the reason, but there is a value in that banner when we say that we took the RIGHT action even though it cost us more, and though the world may or may not recognize it, we as Americans should and be damn proud we tried even if we fail. And we should recognize when we fail in that standard, whether its Abu Graid or referring to a political opponent as some childish insult, or mocking him like an elementary school child.

    That is the standard for the country, that is the standard for the individual. Without it you as a political advocate are no better than your opponents who use the same tactics against you, regardless of what they believe, and as a nation we'd be no better than our enemies. At the point we lose that standard the fight is meaningless, because even though the rhetoric and names will change nothing else will. In politics we go from Dems to Reps and from Reps to Dems and all it is for all practical concerns is a D or an R on TV screen and a different face, but for the citizens nothing changes. In war it simply becomes a war of extermination waged by both sides, and regardless of who wins, everybody loses when its all said and done. People, civilians, are died, control has moved from one group to another, but humanity as a whole as not been advanced forward. Luckily we hold onto some of that high standard in our warfare, Iraq and Afghanistan will hopefully one day be better places for us having that standard and if they fail then we should be held to that failure but at least we can say we tried, some.

  4. #14
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,756

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Every single person that has ever brought up the teleprompter as a way to attack a political opponent is literally an idiot.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #15
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    I hope you don't think President Bush was a better speaker than Obama is.
    Sometimes, yeah, I think so. Obama can spend an hour-long speech saying absolutely nothing, so I guess it's a matter of perspective whether you think spending an hour to say nothing can qualify as "good" speaking.

  6. #16
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    140

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    To teleprompter or not to teleprompter - that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to the ear to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous ums and ahs...............or to take arms against a sea of stuttering.............

  7. #17
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Its truly sick to see some of the ways people talk about a political opponent, and the President no less, these days. There's not respect anymore left in politics and thats what's really dividing people. People can still get along if they disagree politically however today if someone isn't perfectly in line they suddenly become the scum of the earth.

    How can you claim any moral high ground? Is that the America you want to create, one where one's political party is in charge and all dissents against it are mocked, called vile insults, treated as idiots, and disrespected in all other aspects of life to the point where there's not even communication between the two? Pardon me if I don't want to create a cult of snobbery, and this goes out to people on both sides by the way, where all non-members are treated as second class citizens and not as equals and Americans one and the same.

    Regardless of your political viewpoints Americans are or at least were, and should be a people of unregulated equality in politics. One man's vote is worth the same as any other's, to the bum on the street to the wealthiest American. To a left-wing Commie and a right-wing fascist. Being an American citizen and having the ability to cast a vote gives us each the RIGHT to an equally valid viewpoint and perspective. We're all Americans, and we all have a say in our government, and each one of us should respect each other's right to that say. When you say these things, there's no respect.

    Now don't give me any crap about how the other side isn't showing me any respect so why should I as a party member/support/individual? Again, its about the moral high ground. You take the moral high ground because you are better, its your sign and banner that proves the level of maturity and devotion to the principles of this country you have achieved. And there will be sacrifices for taking that stance. Whether its having to bite one's tongue, educate yourself beyond pundits and biased news, accepting one's errors when they realized rather than simply rationalizing it away because one cannot accept the enemy's victory, or even taking a bullet for those principles. However Americans were killed in Iraq or Afghanistan because we choose the moral high ground? I'll tell you the answer is every single of one of them, we have the nuclear capacity to have destroyed both those countries ending whatever threat may have existed there without losing a single life. Of course there are realpolitik considerations but many Americans on the ground have died to avoid civilian causalities, avoid destruction of building, etc. They have died because as a nation we have said that we will conduct warfare in a way which is morally higher than our enemies and we have paid for it in lives. One may not see the reason, but there is a value in that banner when we say that we took the RIGHT action even though it cost us more, and though the world may or may not recognize it, we as Americans should and be damn proud we tried even if we fail. And we should recognize when we fail in that standard, whether its Abu Graid or referring to a political opponent as some childish insult, or mocking him like an elementary school child.

    That is the standard for the country, that is the standard for the individual. Without it you as a political advocate are no better than your opponents who use the same tactics against you, regardless of what they believe, and as a nation we'd be no better than our enemies. At the point we lose that standard the fight is meaningless, because even though the rhetoric and names will change nothing else will. In politics we go from Dems to Reps and from Reps to Dems and all it is for all practical concerns is a D or an R on TV screen and a different face, but for the citizens nothing changes. In war it simply becomes a war of extermination waged by both sides, and regardless of who wins, everybody loses when its all said and done. People, civilians, are died, control has moved from one group to another, but humanity as a whole as not been advanced forward. Luckily we hold onto some of that high standard in our warfare, Iraq and Afghanistan will hopefully one day be better places for us having that standard and if they fail then we should be held to that failure but at least we can say we tried, some.
    I really have no idea what you're talking about....

  8. #18
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    If you are going to argue an issue only a partisan could potentially care about, there is probably no reason to start a thread about it. Hardly anybody is going to make a value judgment one way or the other about Obama because he relies on a teleprompter. It is a nitpicking issue.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 10-22-10 at 10:34 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Every single person that has ever brought up the teleprompter as a way to attack a political opponent is literally an idiot.
    It's not the teleprompter per se, it's how much the President relies on it. No other politician in my memory has ever used it to the extent that he does, and when off it, he does in fact sound like all the other Presidents, if not worse. I don't know about you, but my feeling is that Obama off script is an average speaker, if not slightly below.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #20
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Teleprompter to make its debut in Parliament when Obama speaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    If you are going to argue an issue only a partisan could potentially care about, there is probably no reason to start a thread about it. Hardly anybody is going to make a value judgment one way or the other about Obama because he relies on a teleprompter. It is a nitpicking issue.
    Well, the "nitpick" is in how many hail the Presidents speaking ability. On the prompter, he's competent, off it, not so much.. That's all, really.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •