Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

  1. #21
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    There seem to be no more attacks on homosexuals today than there were in the 50s based on the number of homosexuals in the population.

    Today when a homosexual is involved in any kind of confrontation it is automatically because of being homosexual.

    Never is it because some person was being an obnoxious idiot that pushed someone into kicking some butt.

    I'm not saying that's the reason for all fights attacks or what ever, but you never hear this and it must happen from time to time.

    The news media loves reports like this because it is true in the news business if it bleeds it leads and right now any issue or story that can be used as a weapon against any Republican, or Conservative is every bit as good to the Obamamedia as a video of a blood soaked side street in some ghetto in Detroit.

    Carl Paladino, is and idiot and seems to not have a brain in his head or he would not make statements that can be used as a bat to bash his tiny little brain in with.

    Even if he truly believes what he says it's no way to win any votes from Liberals and the reason is obvious but also from Conservatives because it does bring into question his intelligence. If he were tome in a predominantly Conservative State it might look so stupid.

    He is a for real dumb ass
    Last edited by Councilman; 10-20-10 at 04:49 PM.

  2. #22
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Is this really happening? Is this a trend that DPers are seeing in their own communities? I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the thrust of this article.

    US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people | World news | The Observer
    i've not noticed it in my community........

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #23
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    There seem to be no more attacks on homosexuals today than there were in the 50s based on the number of homosexuals in the population.

    Today when a homosexual is involved in any kind of confrontation it is automatically because of being homosexual.

    Never is it because some person was being an obnoxious idiot that pushed someone into kicking some butt.

    I'm not saying that's the reason for all fights attacks or what ever, but you never hear this and it must happen from time to time.

    The news media loves reports like this because it is true in the news business if it bleeds it leads and right now any issue or story that can be used as a weapon against any Republican, or Conservative is every bit as good to the Obamamedia as a video of a blood soaked side street in some ghetto in Detroit.

    Carl Paladino, is and idiot and seems to not have a brain in his head or he would not make statements that can be used as a bat to bash his tiny little brain in with.

    Even if he truly believes what he says it's no way to win any votes from Liberals and the reason is obvious but also from Conservatives because it does bring into question his intelligence. If he were tome in a predominantly Conservative State it might look so stupid.

    He is a for real dumb ass
    I was at Disney World during the gay parade, I saw a group of gay guys heckling Christians (in general, not a specific person), almost everyone around got tense quickly and could tell a fight was going to start ... it did when someone told him to just shutup and keep it to himself; I wonder if that guy was a subject of "gay bashing"? Or did he get bashed for being a d-bag?

    (the gay guy lost the fight)

    Just an anecdote to support the idea that "not all gay people getting beat-up is because of homophobia".

    That said, I haven't noticed any "gay violence" news stories around; if anything homophobia is becoming less and less acceptable. Homophobes are seen as the equivalent to racist at this point, though I disagree with the equivalence.
    Last edited by SingleCellOrganism; 10-20-10 at 06:44 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Is this really happening? Is this a trend that DPers are seeing in their own communities? I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the thrust of this article.
    The article is mostly about blaming republican campaign rhetoric for a claimed increase in violence. The first two incidents described were perpetrated by gang activity. The third was a dorm-room prank with tragic consequences. It's a complete stretch to associate any with Pallatino's expressed antipathy of gay pride parades, or DeMint's comments regarding gays in teaching, but doesn't stop the authors from claiming that "such sentiments do not just encourage violent attacks; they can also spur people to suicide."

    Here are the details on the first attack mentioned:
    Three of the gang members saw their 17-year-old recruit coming out of an apartment occupied by a 30-year-old man known throughout the neighborhood as "La Reina." It was well-known that the man was gay, and the three wanted to know why the teen was at his apartment, authorities said.

    They took the teen to an abandoned apartment at about 3:30 a.m. Oct. 3 and beat him until he confessed he had a sexual encounter with the man, police said.

    "You crazy, you lost your mind," gang member Nelson Falu said, as he sliced the teen with a box cutter, prosecutors said. David Rivera hit him in the head with a shaving can and Mendez shoved the wooden handle of a plunger into the teen's rectum. "Do you like this?" he asked, according to the criminal complaint.
    This has nothing to do with "republican sentiments" and everything to do with a Latino gang finding out that one of their recruits was having gay sex.

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Is this really happening? Is this a trend that DPers are seeing in their own communities? I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the thrust of this article.

    US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people | World news | The Observer
    This story was probably drummed up to coincide with the court ruling on Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #26
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Most trasparently misleading headline ever? God I loathe the media.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The article is mostly about blaming republican campaign rhetoric for a claimed increase in violence. The first two incidents described were perpetrated by gang activity. The third was a dorm-room prank with tragic consequences. It's a complete stretch to associate any with Pallatino's expressed antipathy of gay pride parades, or DeMint's comments regarding gays in teaching, but doesn't stop the authors from claiming that "such sentiments do not just encourage violent attacks; they can also spur people to suicide."

    Here are the details on the first attack mentioned:

    This has nothing to do with "republican sentiments" and everything to do with a Latino gang finding out that one of their recruits was having gay sex.
    It would be interesting to know whether the accused, David Rivera, was intending to vote Democrat or Republican.

    Chances are he has "Democrat sentiments".

  8. #28
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    When a pretty white girl goes missing, the news cannot talk about anything else for weeks on end. Ugly/old/minority/male? Maybe you get a one-line mention on your local news station. Maybe.
    Race doesn't matter, as long as she's hot.

    Yale lab worker arrested in student's killing, police say - CNN
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    I live in a community that had a very strong gay community. They've all been wiped out.



    Which makes grocery shopping much easier I hate to say.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #30
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    There seem to be no more attacks on homosexuals today than there were in the 50s based on the number of homosexuals in the population.

    Today when a homosexual is involved in any kind of confrontation it is automatically because of being homosexual.

    Never is it because some person was being an obnoxious idiot that pushed someone into kicking some butt.

    I'm not saying that's the reason for all fights attacks or what ever, but you never hear this and it must happen from time to time.

    The news media loves reports like this because it is true in the news business if it bleeds it leads and right now any issue or story that can be used as a weapon against any Republican, or Conservative is every bit as good to the Obamamedia as a video of a blood soaked side street in some ghetto in Detroit.

    Carl Paladino, is and idiot and seems to not have a brain in his head or he would not make statements that can be used as a bat to bash his tiny little brain in with.

    Even if he truly believes what he says it's no way to win any votes from Liberals and the reason is obvious but also from Conservatives because it does bring into question his intelligence. If he were tome in a predominantly Conservative State it might look so stupid.

    He is a for real dumb ass
    Not every thing is about conservatism versus liberalism.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •