Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

  1. #1
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    I can't really object to this as long as they stick to "Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act, a 1994 law that says telephone and broadband companies must design their services so that they can begin conducting surveillance of a target immediately after being presented with a court order."

    I am not sure so sure that all the wire tapes being done are all that legal.

    The use of warrantless wire tapping is up since Obama took over, and it was not good under President Bush. Making it easier for a narcissistic egomaniac who is believed by some to already have an enemies list could be a problem.

    Did everyone know that On Star can be remotely activated and your private conversations listened to?

    The same goes for some Computers and Smart phones as well.

    At the end of 2005, all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.

    To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network.

    So as they want to make it easier should we be concerned at all?

    [QUOTE
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/us...etap.html?_r=1

    By CHARLIE SAVAGE
    Published: October 18, 2010

    WASHINGTON — Law enforcement and counterterrorism officials, citing lapses in compliance with surveillance orders, are pushing to overhaul a federal law that requires phone and broadband carriers to ensure that their networks can be wiretapped, federal officials say.

    An Obama administration task force that includes officials from the Justice and Commerce Departments, the F.B.I. and other agencies recently began working on draft legislation to strengthen and expand the Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act, a 1994 law that says telephone and broadband companies must design their services so that they can begin conducting surveillance of a target immediately after being presented with a court order.[/QUOTE]

  2. #2
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,742

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    I'm ok with it as long as they get a judge to sign off on it. It's the warrantless wiretapping under the PATRIOT act that bothers me. I mean, they have a secret court to handle these things, so it's not like there's a reasonable OpSec concern. The only reason I can think of that someone would want to bypass a secret court is that they don't think their hand-picked judge would approve the wiretap. If your evidence is that shoddy, you shouldn't be tapping that phone, jerkfaces.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #3
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    The feds forcing companies to make their **** less secure so that the government does not have to work as hard in the event they get a warrant. I think this is wrong. It would be like the government making homeowners give law enforcement a key to their house so that if something suspicious happens then they can have easy access and not have to break down the door or window. If law enforcement wishes to tap lines or what ever the hell else then they can hire experts.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #4
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm ok with it as long as they get a judge to sign off on it. It's the warrantless wiretapping under the PATRIOT act that bothers me. I mean, they have a secret court to handle these things, so it's not like there's a reasonable OpSec concern. The only reason I can think of that someone would want to bypass a secret court is that they don't think their hand-picked judge would approve the wiretap. If your evidence is that shoddy, you shouldn't be tapping that phone, jerkfaces.
    The warrantless wiretapping under the PATRIOT Act was to be restricted to terror suspects for National Security and yet a few years ago it was used to listen in on a couple of guys who were in the night club business in Vegas and were moving into Sad Diego. They owned clubs I believe were called the Cheetah Clubs. The Feds tapped into the ON Star system on a Hummer II limo and nailed the club manager and three city council members on bribery charges. All without any warrant under the Patriot Act.

    Not good.I think the scum bags should have been put away but we have laws for a reason I thought.

    I also found out that under Patriot Act II as a reporter if I saw someone I knew being arrested and went on the radio and talked about what I saw and the person being arrested was going to be help without charges or would not have access to an attorney I was subject to the same kind of arrest with no rights and could be held indefinitely with out charges.

    I tried to verify this with an FBI acquaintance but he would not discuss it with me on or off the record. I talked with my City attorney who said he would recommend not trying to find out if it was true if the occasion ever came up.

    So welcome to the Brave new world.

    In Warrantless Wiretapping Case, Obama DOJ's New Arguments Are Worse Than Bush's

    Happy reading.

    In Warrantless Wiretapping Case, Obama DOJ's New Arguments Are Worse Than Bush's | Electronic Frontier Foundation

  5. #5
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    People who have nothing to hide have nothing to be afraid of.

  6. #6
    Student Goof Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Last Seen
    11-11-10 @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    257

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    People who have nothing to hide have nothing to be afraid of.
    So you support the government listening in our conversations to make sure we are following the laws that force us to only use environmentally friendly products in our homes. After all, California needs to catch the guy who brags to his friend in Iowa that he kept his 72 inch flat screen despite the state passing a law banning them.
    Failure is made possible by liberty.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm ok with it as long as they get a judge to sign off on it. It's the warrantless wiretapping under the PATRIOT act that bothers me. I mean, they have a secret court to handle these things, so it's not like there's a reasonable OpSec concern. The only reason I can think of that someone would want to bypass a secret court is that they don't think their hand-picked judge would approve the wiretap. If your evidence is that shoddy, you shouldn't be tapping that phone, jerkfaces.
    Judicial oversight is key. We can't trust the governemnt to always be proper.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #8
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,742

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    People who have nothing to hide have nothing to be afraid of.
    People who don't own guns right now don't need the 2nd amendment protected!

    edit: I mean Jesus Christ, your argument is basically "if I'm not currently exercising the right there's no reason for me to have it!"
    Last edited by Deuce; 10-20-10 at 11:44 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,947

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Question...

    Warrantless Wiretapping is such a generic catch all when talking about PATRIOT that seems to just get trotted out there but never fully pointed out. What sections are you all referencing when you speak about warrantless wiretapping?

    Saying you see "no purpose" to it without being specific seems vague and just not really helpful to a discussion. For example I've spoken with someone before that viewed the roving wiretaps as a "warrantless" wiretap because even though they need a warrant to do the wiretapping in general the provision allows them to tap multiple items at law enforcements discretion so it wasn't getting a warrant for every one which to him meant warrantless. Which provisions are you all talking about specifically?

    I'd need to look into the current proposal more to decide how I feel on it, however at this point I don't believe the public desire or national need for more stringent security is as needed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Picture needing to connect thre dots, needing it to be the right three dots on a page. Fill the page with dots. Can you connect them. I think this is the problem with minning. Too much to follow up on without anything specific enough top focus the pursuit. I think that address the lack of purpose in minning.

    But I repeat, we should always have oversight. We should never trust the government to have this power without some check on it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •