Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

  1. #11
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    People who have nothing to hide have nothing to be afraid of.
    This is the stupidest argument anyone could make on this subject. People who have nothing to hide still have Constitutional rights such as the right to be protected against unreasonable search and seizure. Seriously Korimyr, you're better than this.

  2. #12
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Goof Noodle View Post
    So you support the government listening in our conversations to make sure we are following the laws that force us to only use environmentally friendly products in our homes. After all, California needs to catch the guy who brags to his friend in Iowa that he kept his 72 inch flat screen despite the state passing a law banning them.
    The law is the law. If you allow the government to make stupid laws it's your fault and that's no excuse for breaking them. And if the police are willing to go to all the time and effort to wiretap someone to look for illegal oversized televisions, you should be thankful that you live somewhere that they don't have real crimes to deal with.

  3. #13
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    edit: I mean Jesus Christ, your argument is basically "if I'm not currently exercising the right there's no reason for me to have it!"
    And your argument is that the reason people have rights is so that they can get away with breaking the law. Somehow, that doesn't sound right, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    People who have nothing to hide still have Constitutional rights such as the right to be protected against unreasonable search and seizure.
    That's what the law says, sure. Until the law says something else. Which is what we're discussing. The only Amendment in the Bill of Rights that is not thoroughly and consistently violated by the government is the 3rd; I happen to think a number of those violations are good things.

  4. #14
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    And your argument is that the reason people have rights is so that they can get away with breaking the law. Somehow, that doesn't sound right, either.
    Your statement only works in a world where the government is perfect, never making any mistakes about the potential guilt or innocence about a person. My right against unreasonable search and seizure protects me in the event that some cop has a personal grudge because I looked at him funny or have a bumper sticker on my car he doesn't like. Or maybe just mistakes me for someone else.
    Last edited by Deuce; 10-20-10 at 02:42 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #15
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Your statement only works in a world where the government is perfect, never making any mistakes about the potential guilt or innocence about a person. My right against unreasonable search and seizure protects me in the event that some cop has a personal grudge because I looked at him funny or have a bumper sticker on my car he doesn't like. Or maybe just mistakes me for someone else.
    He can plant dope on you just as easily in a "reasonable" search and seizure and falsifying probable cause is easier than falsifying evidence. There are mechanisms in place to guard against this kind of corruption, and I like to think they work fairly well, but they're not perfect. Wiretapping doesn't "produce" evidence unless there is actually a crime being discussed. It's not like CCTV cameras on street intersections or Feds in an unmarked van would suddenly gain the ability to falsify footage-- and if they're willing to go that far to screw you, the Bill of Rights, the Ten Commandments and the Code of Hammurabi combined aren't going to save you.

  6. #16
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    He can plant dope on you just as easily in a "reasonable" search and seizure and falsifying probable cause is easier than falsifying evidence. There are mechanisms in place to guard against this kind of corruption, and I like to think they work fairly well, but they're not perfect. Wiretapping doesn't "produce" evidence unless there is actually a crime being discussed. It's not like CCTV cameras on street intersections or Feds in an unmarked van would suddenly gain the ability to falsify footage-- and if they're willing to go that far to screw you, the Bill of Rights, the Ten Commandments and the Code of Hammurabi combined aren't going to save you.
    The 4th and 5th amendments exist mainly to protect innocent people, not criminals.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Officials Push to Bolster Law on Wiretapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The 4th and 5th amendments exist mainly to protect innocent people, not criminals.
    People fiorget this, until they're the innocent person in trouble that is.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •