Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    No if he did it on his own via executive order (which to me would have teeth, and show leadership), like that other president with integration, he might he felt and I am speculating, lose votes.
    You might have a point, except that he has been consistent that it should be done by the legislature so that it cannot be undone by another executive order. Expecting things to be done as they should is not lacking in showing leadership, though that is a nice bit of spin.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  2. #12
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I wonder if when all is said and done... does Obama claim credit for ending DADT?
    If it never gets beyond the courts, I don't think he could claim it honestly.

  3. #13
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    05-19-18 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,594

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    My understanding is that he opposes the ruling because he thinks its better to do it through congress. So in an odd way, he is attempting to keep his promise. I personally think he should just drop it.
    With the current supreme court I think this must be done legislatively, or it could be easily reversed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-16-18 @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You might have a point, except that he has been consistent that it should be done by the legislature so that it cannot be undone by another executive order. Expecting things to be done as they should is not lacking in showing leadership, though that is a nice bit of spin.



    It's more opinion than spin. I doubt the next president would reverse that EO for the very same reason. Republican or democrat.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  5. #15
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-16-18 @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    With the current supreme court I think this must be done legislatively, or it could be easily reversed.



    How does legislatively make it not subject to a SCOTUS challenge? Don't you know how the constitution works friend?
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  6. #16
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    With the current supreme court I think this must be done legislatively, or it could be easily reversed.
    Its still possible that it will be. Personally, I don't care how it happens though, as long as it happens.

  7. #17
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I think at this point it's over. It's sad to see that it took a judges order instead of giving the military time to prepare for the change.
    The interesting question is, "How would they know?"
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #18
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I think at this point it's over. It's sad to see that it took a judges order instead of giving the military time to prepare for the change.
    Perhaps, but I'm OK with it. And soliders generally adjust well to orders.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #19
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    It's more opinion than spin. I doubt the next president would reverse that EO for the very same reason. Republican or democrat.
    I doubt it as well, but doing it legislatively is the proper way. To further the story, going into this year, this was one of Obama's issues to get done, the military then asked for time to do the review that is now finishing up, Obama decided that was a reasonable request(and I agree, and have said action should wait till after the review). It's not a lack of leadership, it is that processes do take time.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  10. #20
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-16-18 @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Military recruiters told to accept gay applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I doubt it as well, but doing it legislatively is the proper way. To further the story, going into this year, this was one of Obama's issues to get done, the military then asked for time to do the review that is now finishing up, Obama decided that was a reasonable request(and I agree, and have said action should wait till after the review). It's not a lack of leadership, it is that processes do take time.


    I can see that. I still think it was a lack of cajones on his part, not to say any other president prior or after would have same cajones, but I see your point.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •