Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 300

Thread: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

  1. #161
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    It means the law is being improperly applied, Buddhism, Judiasm, Islam, etc should be in the same boat. Religion should remain a personal matter, it is better for the religion and better for society.
    You must be mad as hell that tax money has been used to build mosques in other countries. Yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #162
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm sure there are a lot of people who share your view. It's why politicians talk witchcraft and nazis rather than monetary policy and structural deficits.

    Funny thing is, you think it's the "other guy" dumbing things down.
    I like how you act like it's just partisan politics..

    Conservatives are known for running against the boogyman too... just look at the Palin/McCain campaign against Obama.

    If a tape surfaced of Obama saying he dabbled in witchcraft, people at Fox News would be throwing office parties while the right wing, stricken with fear, would actually cling to their guns and religion
    Last edited by SheWolf; 10-20-10 at 07:32 PM.

  3. #163
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Those words aren't in the 1st Amendment, no matter how you think they may be phrased. The only thing that the 1st Amendment says, is that the United States government can't create a state sanctioned religion. The purpose being, to prevent a theocracy.

    There's nothing there that says the 10 Commandments can't be displayed on government property, nor that a Nativity scene can't be displayed in front of a volunteer fire station. It means, that any religion is allowed to display religious items at those places and the government can't show preference to any one religion.
    Congress shall make no law
    Make no law

    respecting an establishment of religion
    Regarding a religion

    , or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
    Or to stop people from practicing a religion.

    Put that together and it forms a barrier between government and religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You must be mad as hell that tax money has been used to build mosques in other countries. Yes?
    I wouldn't say mad as hell, as I see the offense minor with it being outside our borders. But I agree that is something they should not be doing.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 10-20-10 at 07:30 PM.

  4. #164
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Make no law



    Regarding a religion



    Or to stop people from practicing a religion.

    Put that together and it forms a barrier between government and religion.
    You're part right: it creates a barrier between government and the creation of a single, government sanctioned religion.



    I wouldn't say mad as hell, as I see the offense minor with it being outside our borders. But I agree that is something they should not be doing.
    LMAO!!! So, just because it happened somewhere's else, it's all good? I don't think I've ever seen anyone contradict themselves so severely in a single post.


    Here's something that happened, within our borders. I don't recall alotta outrage about it, then. Were you pissed as all get out?

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-113356-1660r/
    Last edited by apdst; 10-20-10 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #165
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're part right: it creates a barrier between government and the creation of a single, government sanctioned religion.
    I don't see where it says that.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    LMAO!!! So, just because it happened somewhere's else, it's all good? I don't think I've ever seen anyone contradict themselves so severely in a single post.
    Another country's society is not my problem

    I object to American money being used to fund it, but as it is not done within this country, therefore having no effect or at least minimal on this culture, I see it as less of a problem.

  6. #166
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Those words aren't in the 1st Amendment, no matter how you think they may be phrased. The only thing that the 1st Amendment says, is that the United States government can't create a state sanctioned religion. The purpose being, to prevent a theocracy.

    There's nothing there that says the 10 Commandments can't be displayed on government property, nor that a Nativity scene can't be displayed in front of a volunteer fire station. It means, that any religion is allowed to display religious items at those places and the government can't show preference to any one religion.
    I actually think most people agree on what "separation of church and state" means, regardless if it is in the constitution.. and most people share the same values on religion..

    I think there is a separation of church and state.. that is why an atheist can be booted from teaching at a Catholic school despite their first amendment rights, and why any church can refuse to marry a gay couple.

    The constitution might not say it outright, but the concept is right there in the first amendment. Religious establishments are treated separate from the state. The government can't prohibit the exercise of the churches free speech, the government won't intervene and shouldn't.
    Last edited by SheWolf; 10-20-10 at 07:43 PM.

  7. #167
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I don't see where it says that.
    You don't see where it says that the government can't establish a state religion?



    Another country's society is not my problem

    I object to American money being used to fund it, but as it is not done within this country, therefore having no effect or at least minimal on this culture, I see it as less of a problem.
    What about this?

    CAIR OK'd to meet in Capitol - Washington Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #168
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I actually think most people agree on what "separation of church and state" means, regardless if it is in the constitution.. and most people share the same values on religion..

    I think there is a separation of church and state.. that is why an atheist can be booted from teaching at a Catholic school despite their first amendment rights, and why any church can refuse to marry a gay couple. It might not say outright, but the concept right there in the first amendment. Religious establishments are treated separate from the state. The government can't prohibit the exercise of the churches free speech, the government won't intervene and shouldn't.
    An atheist can be booted from teaching at a Catholic school, because Catholic schools are all private and private orgs aren't bound by the 1st Amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #169
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You don't see where it says that the government can't establish a state religion?
    Not that being the sole thing to come out of that statement no. I see where making no law pretty obviously means no state religion since such a thing would require a law to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The article does not address whether this meeting is solely used for religious purposes or if there is also a political interest there. If it was used for worship or other purely religious activity, it would be a huge problem and yes I would be angry about it. Right now though, there seems to be a lot of info left out.

  10. #170
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: O'Donnell Questions Separation of Church, State in Senate Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    An atheist can be booted from teaching at a Catholic school, because Catholic schools are all private and private orgs aren't bound by the 1st Amendment.
    It isn't so easy in the non religious private sector.. People have protections like Title VIII that protects religious groups from being punished because of their religious beliefs.. A Catholic school can and has booted people for things that would have easily gone to a civil trial if they were a private company, expect they are protected under the first amendment to terminate employment for moral reasons.. such as being pregnant and unwed or a religious conversion.
    Last edited by SheWolf; 10-20-10 at 07:53 PM.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •