Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 115

Thread: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    This isn't about wanting people to like me.

    This is about not wanting my countrymen walking around there with targets on their back, and also not wanting us to commit mass murder.

    The solution is simple: Leave, until such time as Iraq poses a threat to our security.
    Yeah, I don't see the point in wrapping the country or our soldiers in bubble wrap.

    The only responsible thing to do is bring the resistance in Iraq to its knees, and then either rule it directly or install a ruler in line with our interests.

  2. #12
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Well, in the last several years we've failed to bring the resistance to its knees, mainly because they're not dumb enough to use tactics we're accustomed to.

    We can't really install a puppet, or it won't last. We also can't afford to rule Iraq from thousands of miles away, otherwise we'll end up suffering the kinds of losses and setbacks and frustrations we are now for the foreseeable future.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Well, in the last several years we've failed to bring the resistance to its knees, mainly because they're not dumb enough to use tactics we're accustomed to.

    We can't really install a puppet, or it won't last. We also can't afford to rule Iraq from thousands of miles away, otherwise we'll end up suffering the kinds of losses and setbacks and frustrations we are now for the foreseeable future.
    I sort of agree on both counts. After all, armies aren't very useful when they're being hampered by politics on the homefront. Whining about civilians and exit strategies (already!) is going to hurt any war effort. We could definitely install a puppet, though, I don't see why not.

    As for the cost: war is fairly cheap. The only reason we can't afford it is because of all the fiscal nonsense that went on in the Bush administration at the same time.

  4. #14
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    We could definitely install a puppet, though, I don't see why not.
    Because neither the people of Iraq nor Iraq's neighbors would tolerate it. The puppet wouldn't survive a week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    As for the cost: war is fairly cheap.
    Um, really?

    Cheap compared to what?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Because neither the people of Iraq nor Iraq's neighbors would tolerate it. The puppet wouldn't survive a week.
    Right, because there is no such thing as deterrence, and there's no possible way to silence dissent. Seriously, it's not that hard to do. It might collapse eventually, but then we could just repeat the process.
    Um, really?

    Cheap compared to what?
    I forget exactly how much the war costs, but I do remember that it was hardly a number worth blinking at. Wars don't break banks like real estate speculation.
    Last edited by Patria Antiqua; 10-17-10 at 01:14 PM.

  6. #16
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Right, because there is no such thing as deterrence, and there's no possible way to silence dissent. Seriously, it's not that hard to do. It might collapse eventually, but then we could just repeat the process.
    If having tens of thousands of heavily armed troops in the country doesn't serve as a deterrent in general, how do you figure we'd deter someone from murdering or overthrowing our puppet specifically?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    I forget exactly how much the war costs, but I do remember that it wasn hardly a number worth blinking at. Wars don't break banks like real estate speculation.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeah. Come back and make that argument again when you not only remember how much it costs, but also have a reputable source you can reference.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If having tens of thousands of heavily armed troops in the country doesn't serve as a deterrent in general, how do you figure we'd deter someone from murdering or overthrowing our puppet specifically?



    Yeeeeeeeeeeeah. Come back and make that argument again when you not only remember how much it costs, but also have a reputable source you can reference.
    Armed troops mean nothing when you don't have the will to deal with opposition ruthlessly.

    Anyway, Financial cost of the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says roughly 700 billion in direct costs. That's really not very much. I'm more worried about what we're going to spend on entitlements when Boomers retire.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    The news story is pretty vague, so its hard to really understand what its specifically talking about. However I do know that the Iraqi Army is roughly 200,000 strong, and then there's the Iraqi Police, so I think they can handle a few hundred men with some training.
    Well Obama sent 100,000 US troops to finish off the last 100 Al-Queda in Afghanistan. Never heard you say anything against an Obama policy so you must have thought that was the correct ratio of US to Al-Queda fighters.

  9. #19
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    FoxNews.com - Report: Sunni Allies in Iraq Quit to Rejoin Al Qaeda

    Will be interesting to see how the Government handles the defection.
    As they were trained by Western Soldiers, no doubt many will have working knowledge of how they operate.
    Not all that surprising. The US military bankrolled the Sahwa in Anbar province as a mercenary force. I imagine these monetary stipends have been reduced dramatically, or even terminated, with the US exit.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Right, and like there was any other viable solution to such a fundamental problem.

    What the hell are we supposed to do, occupy Iraq indefinitely? Annex it? Kill millions of innocents and pave the whole country?
    No, we kill off the insurgents, until al Qaeda is a dirty word, just like Nazi is in Germany and Facisimi is in Italy.

    Wars can't be won politically The only way to win a war, is to kill the enemy, with the maximum amount of violence. Had we done that in 2003, we wouldn't still be talking about this. There damn sure wouldn't be an insurgent presence in Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •