Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 115 of 115

Thread: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

  1. #111
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    This deadlock isn't helping anyone, so let me answer who won the chess match for him. Obviously the amateur (insurgents) won, because the odds were heavily against him, and the master (the US) was a shoe-in to win, and could have done a hell of a lot better. Therefore, an amateur's draw against a master is a loss for the master, and a victory for the amateur.

    But that is a rather simplistic comparison to make, and there are a lot of factors that it fails to contend with. Regardless, I have to say, I really liked it
    But, we weren't fighting Boris Spassky. We're fighting a war. Chess and warfare are nothing alike.

    Basically, TED's argument is bull****.

    If I'm a player in a chess game, against a superior opponent and at, "check mate", I sweep the pieces from the board with my arm, who is the winner?

    From a tactical point of view, I would be the winner, as there are no more chess pieces to continue the game with.

    Nice job trying to cover for TED, but you know as well as I do, that he is wrong as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #112
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    You're refusing to answer the question because you see my point.

    It's no problem, because even if you played along and let me make my point, you'd just dismiss it out of hand. You refuse to admit defeat, even when you're wrong.
    Ok, make your point...without riddles, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #113
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, make your point...without riddles, that is.
    That wasn't a riddle, that was a comparison. It's only a riddle if you don't get it.

    At any rate, we rounded up one of the best military forces on the planet, invaded, and then we left the battlefield because we lost the will to fight.

    There's absolutely no way you could possibly paint the United States the victor, for the same reason the grand master lost the draw.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #114
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That wasn't a riddle, that was a comparison. It's only a riddle if you don't get it.

    At any rate, we rounded up one of the best military forces on the planet, invaded, and then we left the battlefield because we lost the will to fight.

    There's absolutely no way you could possibly paint the United States the victor, for the same reason the grand master lost the draw.
    We left the battlefield, because the it wasn't politically expedient for the politicians.

    Our military wasn't defeated on the battlefield, nor did our troops lose their will to make war upon the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Iraqi Sunnis Trained by U.S. Return to al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We left the battlefield, because the it wasn't politically expedient for the politicians.

    Our military wasn't defeated on the battlefield, nor did our troops lose their will to make war upon the enemy.
    War is more than the battlefield. You should not get involved in any conflict in which the will is not sufficient to stay the long hall. Democracies seldom want to be invloved in needless conflicts for long. So at some point you have to acknowldge this and plan accordingly. Failure to do so leads to inadequate results.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •