Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

  1. #51
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, that's just your interpretation.

    Thanks for playing.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 10-15-10 at 02:49 PM.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, that's just your interpretation. Laws are specific, to a point. But nothing can be written plain enough that everyone will read it the same way. Assuming that your intepretation of any comment is without question the only possible answer is hubris.

    However, the question was, would you say OK or point to the constitution?
    If it were me, I'd litigate, pointing to the Constitution? What's wrong with that? Smae thing that this lawsuit is doing, isn't it?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Interesting that you bring up guns.

    Breyer, dissent, McDonald v Chicago



    According to this, if Breyer is consistent, he opposes the court actions agianst CA Prop 8 and would have opposed the decision on Roe v Wade.

    Now... do you think that is REALLY the case, or was Breyer picking and choosing the application of this argument according to how he wants the decision to turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Some righties perhaps, not me. I outlined what judicial activism actually is, and I stand by it.

    I actually thought that Walker's ruling in Prop 8 (Although I disagree with the application of the law) was technically correct. Same with Roe v Wade, inter alia, that said, you have not answered the questions pointed at you like a big fat red target. You're new here, I see that, but you can't avoid direct questions, unless you want to marginalize yourself toot sweet.

    Tim-
    The uncomplicated answer is that I think "judicial activism" is a nonsense concept. It's a boogeyman for conservatives to blame their failures on.

    However, just to be nice, no and no. I don't think case qualifies either, but I am amused at the right's readiness to try and circumvent the electorate via courts after all of their rhetoric against exactly those methods in California.

    Oh, and about the Bryer thing, I don't see any inconsistency.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    Thanks foir playing.
    Anytime, but I see you won't answer the question or address the reason for the question. You first divert, failing to realize that different legal situations demand different responses, then flipppantly retreat. That's you call of course, but it doesn't advance your argument at all.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    If it were me, I'd litigate, pointing to the Constitution? What's wrong with that? Smae thing that this lawsuit is doing, isn't it?

    Tim-
    Exactly. So the point was, the people voting isn't magic. Laws don't disappear because a majority want something.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #56
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    The uncomplicated answer is that I think "judicial activism" is a nonsense concept. It's a boogeyman for conservatives to blame their failures on.
    And what do you call it when liberals blame their failures on it?

    Oh, and about the Bryer thing, I don't see any inconsistency.
    Of course not - willful ignorance is a powerful tool for that.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Not sure liberals do, but it would be a boogieman either way IMHO.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And what do you call it when liberals blame their failures on it?
    Scalia.
    Of course not - willful ignorance is a powerful tool for that.
    I don't agree with you, so I'm wilfully ignorant. Why am I wilfully ignorant?

    Because I don't agree with you!

    Circular reasoning works because...

  9. #59
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    PA -
    However, just to be nice, no and no. I don't think case qualifies either, but I am amused at the right's readiness to try and circumvent the electorate via courts after all of their rhetoric against exactly those methods in California.
    Careful now.. Obamacare did exactly the same thing, not only that, but it also bought the votes to get it through congress. By the way, who do you think the electorate, is? Do you think the electorate wanted Obamacare?

    Boo - RE: Democratic majority

    I'm not seeing how we disagree here?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Scalia.

    I don't agree with you, so I'm wilfully ignorant. Why am I wilfully ignorant?

    Because I don't agree with you!

    Circular reasoning works because...
    Because you are unable to articulate a valid reason for opposing something in one instance, and not opposing it in another identical instance? That's what they call hypocrisy.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •