Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 85

Thread: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    You're right, I should rephrase. It's an attempt to "abuse" the court system to get what they want instead of going through voters. As such, the right's hypocrisy is palpable.
    Like the Obama administrations attempt to get what they want in AZ, instead of letting what the voters wanted stand?

  2. #42
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hehe.. I LOVE Liberals that have a bad case of foot in mouth disease! You made a comment, I called you on it, and now you're ducking the central question about you're own hypocrisy.
    Classic example of moving the goalposts, a symptom of 'this conversation is way over my head' disease.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hehe.. I LOVE Liberals that have a bad case of foot in mouth disease! You made a comment, I called you on it, and now you're ducking the central question about you're own hypocrisy..

    Roe v Wade - Judicial activism, yes, no?
    Prop 8 - Judicial activism, yes, no?

    It's not complicated deary..


    Tim-
    Oh, of course. I love our judicial system, and appealing to it is part of the bargain.

    I just think it's cute that righties complain about it until they want to have a go.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You mean like Roe v Wade?
    You mean like the CA court overtunring Prop 8?
    Don't confuse legal issues with radical responses. Just because a majority voted for something, or wanted something, doesn't mean what they wanted was legal. Think if a majority voted to take away your guns. Would you say ok, or point to the consititution?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #45
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Oh, of course. I love our judicial system, and appealing to it is part of the bargain.
    I just think it's cute that righties complain about it until they want to have a go.
    The only one complaing here is you, and you're only doing it because you got caught with your rhetorical pants down.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The only one complaing here is you, and you're only doing it because you got caught with your rhetorical pants down.
    I don't have a problem with this suit. It'll lose, but I don't have an issue with it. I do have an issue with the willingness of the right to openly contradict itself with regards to how our judicial system should be used. The way you lot behave is enough to make a cat laugh.

  7. #47
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Don't confuse legal issues with radical responses. Just because a majority voted for something, or wanted something, doesn't mean what they wanted was legal. Think if a majority voted to take away your guns. Would you say ok, or point to the consititution?
    Interesting that you bring up guns.

    Breyer, dissent, McDonald v Chicago

    Given the empirical and local value-laden nature of the questions that lie at the heart of the issue, why, in a Nation whose Constitution foresees democratic decision making, is it so fundamental a matter as to require taking that power from the people? What is it here that the people did not know? What is it that a judge knows better?
    According to this, if Breyer is consistent, he opposes the court actions agianst CA Prop 8 and would have opposed the decision on Roe v Wade.

    Now... do you think that is REALLY the case, or was Breyer picking and choosing the application of this argument according to how he wants the decision to turn?
    Last edited by Goobieman; 10-15-10 at 02:42 PM.

  8. #48
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    I don't have a problem with this suit. It'll lose, but I don't have an issue with it.
    So, you were trolling. 10-4.

    I do have an issue with the willingness of the right to openly contradict itself with regards to how our judicial system should be used.
    See my comment re: Breyer and McDonald v Chicago.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Some righties perhaps, not me. I outlined what judicial activism actually is, and I stand by it.

    I actually thought that Walker's ruling in Prop 8 (Although I disagree with the application of the law) was technically correct. Same with Roe v Wade, inter alia, that said, you have not answered the questions pointed at you like a big fat red target. You're new here, I see that, but you can't avoid direct questions, unless you want to marginalize yourself toot sweet.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #50
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Judge allows states' healthcare suit to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Interesting that you bring up guns.

    Breyer, dissent, McDonald v Chicago



    According to this, if Breyer is consistent, he opposes the court actions agianst CA Prop 8 and would have opposed the decision on Roe v Wade.

    Now... do you think that is REALLY the case, or was Breyer picking and choosing the application of this argument according to how he wants the decision to turn?
    No, that's just your interpretation. Laws are specific, to a point. But nothing can be written plain enough that everyone will read it the same way. Assuming that your intepretation of any comment is without question the only possible answer is hubris.

    However, the question was, would you say OK or point to the constitution?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •