Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    it was truly wonderful, you had to cry for joy

    where do americans go to share and celebrate good feelings?

    Fox News Hits Ratings High With Conclusion Of The Chilean Miners’ Rescue Coverage – Deadline.com
    Wait... FOX NEWS? That can't be right. It must be some vast, right wing conspiracy, drummed up by Obama haters to give them something to feel good about.

  2. #32
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Chilean politics and partisan bickering set aside - President Piñera set a very good example of what people expect to have from their leader during such situations - being present, concerned, watchful and supportive of the people going through the situation rather than departing *during* a crisis for personal-things.

    This is the essence of *leading* - and if more leaders took on this role rather than passive leading maybe our country (and many others) would be far better off.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #33
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 07:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Chilean politics and partisan bickering set aside - President Piñera set a very good example of what people expect to have from their leader during such situations - being present, concerned, watchful and supportive of the people going through the situation rather than departing *during* a crisis for personal-things.

    This is the essence of *leading* - and if more leaders took on this role rather than passive leading maybe our country (and many others) would be far better off.
    Pinera's "concern" was nothing more than an opportunistic propaganda exercise.

    He turned a rescue operation into a complete circus where the media was party to every opportunity to put the president in a good light and appear to care about these miners. When the miners were saying that the mine was unsafe, no one listened including the president, the media and the mining company that caused the situation in the first place.
    Last edited by Jarmax; 10-15-10 at 06:46 PM.

  4. #34
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarmax View Post
    Pinera's "concern" was nothing more than an opportunistic propaganda exercise.

    He turned a rescue operation into a complete circus where the media was party to every opportunity to put the president in a good light and appear to care about these miners. When the miners were saying that the mine was unsafe, no one listened including the president, the media and the mining company that caused the situation in the first place.
    Often leadership is doing what the people *want* you to do - and not what *you want* to really be doing.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #35
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Manual Gonzalez the last rescue worker in now out and the end of this part of the story is over.

    By the way I watched the first Rescue worker go down and the first and last Trapped Miner come out and Chile’s president, Sebastian Pinera, was there until the end.

    I admire his stamina and along with all who have now been there over 24 hours straight.

    This is a Country with a great deal to be proud of.

    I only hope this event is used to inspire safer conditions in Mining, and the pride helps left the whole Nation to better times.
    Since the President Chili is a right winger, I would suspect conditions in Chili mining would remain the same.


  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Jarmax

    This country is the 19th most unequal state in the world.
    19th?

    Who round out the top 20?

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Since the President Chili is a right winger, I would suspect conditions in Chili mining would remain the same.
    What makes him a "right winger"?

    He wants a balanced budget?

  8. #38
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 07:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Often leadership is doing what the people *want* you to do - and not what *you want* to really be doing.
    How is ignoring what the miners were saying about how the mine they were working in was unsafe, doing what the people want? If he was any president worth is salt, he would have taken notice of them and done something before the disaster happened. Instead he did nothing for the people and was only at the rescue operation because it was opportunistic propaganda exercise for him. Unless you believe that showmanship is more important in a president than taking action to help the people who elected you.
    Last edited by Jarmax; 10-15-10 at 07:30 PM.

  9. #39
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarmax View Post
    How is ignoring what the miners were saying about how the mine they were working in was unsafe, doing what the people want? If he was any president worth is salt, he would have taken notice of them and done something before the disaster happened. Instead he did nothing for the people and was only at the rescue operation because it was opportunistic propaganda exercise for him. Unless you believe that showmanship is more important in a president than taking action to help the people who elected you.
    I believe I said "politics and partisan bikering aside . . . " and then referenced that in this particular situation how he didn't wander off to go play golf or vacation away his worries amid other people's struggle was more along the lines of what people expect in a leader.

    I didn't say, "how he leads his country - always - is a fine example of how a leader should act" or "isn't he just a swell guy all around!" now did I?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #40
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Chile miners rescue: President's popularity soars

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What makes him a "right winger"?

    He wants a balanced budget?
    National Renewal (RN) (Spanish: "Renovación Nacional"), is a conservative political party belonging to the Chilean right-wing political coalition Coalition for Change in conjunction with the Independent Democratic Union (UDI) and the Chile First movement (CH1). The party president is Carlos Larraín, and its principal leaders are Sebastián Piñera, president of Chile, and Andrés Allamand.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Renewal_(Chile)


Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •