Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why?
    They're talking about tax cuts to people who don't have jobs, raving about deficit spending to people whose main concern is that they lack access to support services, and railing against highly popular government programs to people who've become increasingly aware of their importance in the bad economy. I make no specific predictions, but their election strategy is better suited to make marginal gains against a weakened opponent than to sweep anything.

  2. #12
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,315

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    They're talking about tax cuts to people who don't have jobs...
    Wait a minute here...Just so that we are clear in what we are saying, I asked you why you view republicans as "insane" and you say that we are talking about tax cuts to people whom don't have jobs? I think you have that backwards.

    raving about deficit spending to people whose main concern is that they lack access to support services
    Whom is lacking access to anything in this country? Who are these people?

    and railing against highly popular government programs to people who've become increasingly aware of their importance in the bad economy.
    And what specific "popular government programs" are republicans railing against. If you are talking about say Medicare which has a 33 Trillion dollar unfunded liability then I would say yes, something has to be done, but that in no way is railing against the program, or wanting to take it away from those that have it now. That is wanting to address it and fix it.

    I make no specific predictions, but their election strategy is better suited to make marginal gains against a weakened opponent than to sweep anything.
    Then Sir I would pose that you are either just NOT paying attention to the news out there, or you are willingly ignoring the news. I give you Geo. Soros.

    Mr. Soros, a champion of liberal causes, has been directing his money to groups that work on health care and the environment, rather than electoral politics. Asked if the prospect of Republican control of one or both houses of Congress concerned him, he said: It does, because I think they are pushing the wrong policies, but Im not in a position to stop it. I dont believe in standing in the way of an avalanche.

    Soros: I Can't Stop a Republican "Avalanche" - NYTimes.com
    Yet you are tilting at windmills here...How can that be?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    marginal gains?

    LOL!

    RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Battle for the House

    RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Senate No Toss Ups

    RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Governor No Toss Ups

    which alternate universe is this with marginal gains, the one that sees nbc and fox news as part of the same vast right wing conspiracy?

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Just so that we are clear in what we are saying, I asked you why you view republicans as "insane" and you say that we are talking about tax cuts to people whom don't have jobs?
    Actually, you have a point: That's merely poor strategy. I should have said they're insane because they're adopting the xenophobic, paranoid rhetoric of the Tea Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Whom is lacking access to anything in this country?
    Everyone who can't afford something and doesn't qualify for the handful of limited social programs remaining.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who are these people?
    Who are these people who live in the Horatio Alger America you seem to believe in? If you want examples of deprivation, I have a toothache and can't do anything about it because my dental coverage won't cover what needs to be done. The tooth is rotting in my mouth, and they can't do a simple extraction because it's fractured and would shatter. According to the dentist's quote, I would have to pay over $3,000 to get this dealt with - something I can't do even with a payment plan because of bad credit due to bankruptcy from medical bills. I am denied necessary care because my employer doesn't consider me valuable enough, and frankly most people have some degree of similar experience. If you have not, then you are in the privileged minority.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If you are talking about say Medicare which has a 33 Trillion dollar unfunded liability then I would say yes, something has to be done, but that in no way is railing against the program, or wanting to take it away from those that have it now. That is wanting to address it and fix it.
    I have no knowledge of whether that figure is accurate or not. But as I recall, presidential candidate Al Gore had wanted to create a "lock box" for Medicare and Social Security that would have kept them funded for generations by ensuring that the budget surplus (remember that?) would be dedicated to those programs. George W. Bush preferred to cut taxes, creating the "unfunded liability" you refer to. The current Republican policy agenda is identical to Bush's.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Then Sir I would pose that you are either just NOT paying attention to the news out there
    I pay attention to all news. That doesn't mean I consider it equally credible.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I give you Geo. Soros.
    And if being a major fundraiser made one prescient, his opinion would mean more than mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yet you are tilting at windmills here...How can that be?
    It isn't.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    As I said, I make no specific predictions. I merely note that Republicans do themselves no favors.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    the one that sees nbc and fox news as part of the same vast right wing conspiracy?
    It's not a conspiracy, just convergent interests resulting in similar behavior.

  6. #16
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    To crib from "Red Dragon," Republicans have at least one disadvantage this election season: They're insane.
    wow that is some inciteful bs for such a novice. I guess the thought of hard work, self sufficiency, and patriotism is insane to people who think working is for suckers. why work when you can live off the effort of others.



  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why?

    j-mac
    Hard to say WHY theyre insane really.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wow that is some inciteful bs for such a novice. I guess the thought of hard work, self sufficiency, and patriotism is insane to people who think working is for suckers. why work when you can live off the effort of others.
    Just remember, if youre not republican youre not for hard work and you hate your country. Great reasons to be republican.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Everyone who can't afford something and doesn't qualify for the handful of limited social programs remaining.
    wow

    anyone who can't afford something is by definition denied access because there is some limitation of social programs that would provide it?

    Who are these people who live in the Horatio Alger America you seem to believe in?
    there're millions of us, we're all around you, can't you see us?

    If you want examples of deprivation, I have a toothache and can't do anything about it because my dental coverage won't cover what needs to be done. The tooth is rotting in my mouth, and they can't do a simple extraction because it's fractured and would shatter.
    you're deprived because you have a toothache?

    i'm sorry about your tooth, sincerely, it sounds very painful, i hope you get some relief soon

    According to the dentist's quote, I would have to pay over $3,000 to get this dealt with - something I can't do even with a payment plan because of bad credit due to bankruptcy from medical bills.
    yes, indeed, dentisty can be very expensive

    I am denied necessary care because my employer doesn't consider me valuable enough
    go on

    I have no knowledge of whether that figure is accurate or not.
    for someone who is unaware of the unfunded liabilities facing not only medicare and medicaid but also social security as well (also public pensions, city, state and federal), you certainly seem to have some rather strong opinions about how the world works

    But as I recall, presidential candidate Al Gore had wanted to create a "lock box" for Medicare and Social Security
    the LOCK BOX!

    LOL!

    that's the solution folks, it's odd obama hasn't found it, all we need is the LOCK BOX!

    I pay attention to all news.
    then how could you possibly have missed last friday's jobs report, it was even on olberman?

    please continue

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    It's not a conspiracy, just convergent interests resulting in similar behavior.
    olberman and beck share similar interests?

    YouTube - Twilight Zone intro.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •