Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

  1. #11
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    so you believe the banks wanted people to default on their loans....and on the flip side, aren't the people who took out those loans responsible as well? your reasoning is faulty here. banks DON"T WANT those homes on their books. they would rather people be able to pay their mortgages.
    Yes, I believe that the banks were looking to be predatory by not using sound judgment in giving out the loans to those that couldn't afford it. The banks pushed for relaxed lending regulations, which normally would have prevented the sub-prime mess to begin with, in order to make extra money. The banks have the homes on the books with the loans to begin with and the homes being foreclosed on just means that the banks can make more money from a second sale of it.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 10-08-10 at 05:41 PM.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    It also allows many to stay in their homes, and that's a big plus, even if it's only temporary...

    ricksfolly
    Not a big plus for those of us dutifully making our monthly payments on houses that continue to decline in value...

    As we allow idiots who bought homes that they couldn’t afford live in them payment-free.

    This is a short term solution with long term consequences.

  3. #13
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Not a big plus for those of us dutifully making our monthly payments on houses that continue to decline in value...

    As we allow idiots who bought homes that they couldn’t afford live in them payment-free.

    This is a short term solution with long term consequences.
    not really. sooner or later they will have to pay the piper....in the meantime, having no vacant houses in your neighborhood keeps crime down, and keeps your property value from further declining.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #14
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Yes, I believe that the banks were looking to be predatory by not using sound judgment in giving out the loans to those that couldn't afford it. The banks pushed for relaxed lending regulations, which normally would have prevented the sub-prime mess to begin with, in order to make extra money. The banks have the homes on the books with the loans to begin with and the homes being foreclosed on just means that the banks can make more money from a second sale of it.
    do you understand what you just wrote? a bank makes a 300k loan to someone who can't afford it, with very little down. they make a little in interest, then have to foreclose. in the meanitme, property values are halved. so now they can sell it for 150k........WHOA! what genius!

    i'm not sure you understand how these things work.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #15
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    do you understand what you just wrote? a bank makes a 300k loan to someone who can't afford it, with very little down. they make a little in interest, then have to foreclose. in the meanitme, property values are halved. so now they can sell it for 150k........WHOA! what genius!

    i'm not sure you understand how these things work.
    Oh I understand how these things work, but do you? I ask because you're missing two of the four things I said as my reasons for scrapping the banks and starting over.

    That's why the banks got the bailouts after getting the money for selling the loans as an investment. Once they got the bailout, any money from the sale of a home would be pure profit. Besides it's not like the banks actually invested money into this since they can create money out of thin air on a computer based upon the down payment. The down payment goes onto their books as part of their reserves and 90% of the value of the reserve can be created as new money. Don't you just love fractional reserve banking?

  6. #16
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Yes, I believe that the banks were looking to be predatory by not using sound judgment in giving out the loans to those that couldn't afford it. The banks pushed for relaxed lending regulations, which normally would have prevented the sub-prime mess to begin with, in order to make extra money. The banks have the homes on the books with the loans to begin with and the homes being foreclosed on just means that the banks can make more money from a second sale of it.
    OK, can't go with you there.

    If someone buys a house for $500K, the bank has to cut that check to the previous owner/builder for $500K. If they only collect a year's worth of payments, then have to turn around and sell it for $250K, then the bank has lost money.

    What's happening is the bank is desperate to collect what it can to SERVICE ITS OWN DEBTS. However, it is still in the best interest of the bank to receive payments, not foreclose. I'm certain, as BoA has stated, it is doing everything it can to collect house payments before they decide to foreclose.

    This whole "process" argument is just a sham to slow down foreclosures and make the housing picture look slightly better prior to an election. Come December, it will be "Foreclose away!!", and the Dems will blame it on the new Republican Congress heading into 2012.

  7. #17
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Oh I understand how these things work, but do you? I ask because you're missing two of the four things I said as my reasons for scrapping the banks and starting over.

    That's why the banks got the bailouts after getting the money for selling the loans as an investment. Once they got the bailout, any money from the sale of a home would be pure profit. Besides it's not like the banks actually invested money into this since they can create money out of thin air on a computer based upon the down payment. The down payment goes onto their books as part of their reserves and 90% of the value of the reserve can be created as new money. Don't you just love fractional reserve banking?
    oh, so now you're saying the banks knew the collapse would happen and they would be bailed out. again....genius!

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #18
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Oh I understand how these things work, but do you? I ask because you're missing two of the four things I said as my reasons for scrapping the banks and starting over.

    That's why the banks got the bailouts after getting the money for selling the loans as an investment. Once they got the bailout, any money from the sale of a home would be pure profit. Besides it's not like the banks actually invested money into this since they can create money out of thin air on a computer based upon the down payment. The down payment goes onto their books as part of their reserves and 90% of the value of the reserve can be created as new money. Don't you just love fractional reserve banking?
    Good point on the bailouts. Not sure just how much the banks got, but if they were made whole on the majority of their bad loans, then I guess, there could be some residual profit from the second sale.

  9. #19
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    oh, so now you're saying the banks knew the collapse would happen and they would be bailed out. again....genius!
    I don't know where you got that idea from, since I certainly didn't say it. Would you stop strawmanning me by putting words in my mouth?

  10. #20
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: BofA halts foreclosures in 50 states

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    oh, so now you're saying the banks knew the collapse would happen and they would be bailed out. again....genius!
    No, he/she is saying that the last bailout made them whole on many of these foreclosures, so the second sale is pure profit. It's a valid argument.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •