Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 118

Thread: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

  1. #51
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i can tell you first hand there are bullies in private school, so you're wrong. private school is not the answer, expecting students to behave is. public school doesn't FOSTER this type of behavior, parents ALLOW thier children to behave like this.
    He is both right and wrong. Yes, there are bullies in private schools but no, it is not as big a problem because it usually gets handled more readily. Teachers aren't as afraid to jump to conclusions or make judgments about bullying. Private schools are smaller so it's harder to hide it. My kid went to private and public schools and was the type of kid that would be picked on. A little nerdy, really ADD, compulsive, etc., He had a bad time of it when he changed to a public school. I had to take him out and put him back in private school for a year. There area always exceptions but there is a different dynamic and atmosphere at private schools.

  2. #52
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    so that makes bullying okay?
    No. Suicide often isn't a one-problem issue (that was my point.)

    By placing blame *just* on the bullies they are possibly overlooking other causes that might have been present and might have contributed - the bullying is just *one* likely factor.

    I'm bothered, though, by future rule-implications.
    Yes, bullying is a huge problem and needs to be ended or squelched as much as possible (I was bullied in school for countless years because I was short, skinny and wore glasses - I know how it feels and I know it can haunt you - I'm not just speaking out of my senseless ass). But often when our school system identifies something as a *very bad problem that we must stop immediately* they go overboard - and the next thing we know kindergardeners get suspended for bringing happy meal toys to school because they shoot a projectile and kids are expelled for having a plastic butter knife in their lunchbox.

    I sense an extreme-bad-reaction status of 'no tolerance' coming along in reaction to bullying and it'll lead to harmless and loving kids being expelled for just making a funny face at another kid on the playground or calling someone 'stupid' at lunch time.

    So - they can't just focus on *the bullies* if they want to end these suicide-situations - because that's only *a part* of the problem. . . and I really hope they don't go extreme in their efforts, either, which will get truly innocent kids punished just for being normal children.

    One thing they need to try to figure out is *why* these types of bully behaviors which are negative have more of an impact than the larger variety of more positive things in someone's life.

    Mohat had friends - I'm sure a lot of people liked him. How many teens bullied him? Probably far fewer than those who cared for him - but their negativity had more of a lasting and strong effect than anyone's positivity.

    Why?

    I was bullied, pushed around, set up to take the blame for another student's actions in school - for years - in a variety of different schools. People just didn't like me, I was always a target - but I didn't break down in my teen years like that - my very few friends I had who were positive had more of an impact on me than those who were negative in my life.

    Why can some people handle it - and others can't?

    Unless they focus on the individual problems student to student - psychologically, etc - they'll never actually figure it out.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 10-08-10 at 10:28 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    No. Suicide often isn't a one-problem issue (that was my point.)

    By placing blame *just* on the bullies they are possibly overlooking other causes that might have been present and might have contributed - the bullying is just *one* likely factor.

    I'm bothered, though, by future rule-implications.
    Yes, bullying is a huge problem and needs to be ended or squelched as much as possible (I was bullied in school for countless years because I was short, skinny and wore glasses - I know how it feels and I know it can haunt you - I'm not just speaking out of my senseless ass). But often when our school system identifies something as a *very bad problem that we must stop immediately* they go overboard - and the next thing we know kindergardeners get suspended for bringing happy meal toys to school because they shoot a projectile and kids are expelled for having a plastic butter knife in their lunchbox.

    I sense an extreme-bad-reaction status of 'no tolerance' coming along in reaction to bullying and it'll lead to harmless and loving kids being expelled for just making a funny face at another kid on the playground or calling someone 'stupid' at lunch time.

    So - they can't just focus on *the bullies* if they want to end these suicide-situations - because that's only *a part* of the problem. . . and I really hope they don't go extreme in their efforts, either, which will get truly innocent kids punished just for being normal children.

    One thing they need to try to figure out is *why* these types of bully behaviors which are negative have more of an impact than the larger variety of more positive things in someone's life.

    Mohat had friends - I'm sure a lot of people liked him. How many teens bullied him? Probably far fewer than those who cared for him - but their negativity had more of a lasting and strong effect than anyone's positivity.

    Why?

    I was bullied, pushed around, set up to take the blame for another student's actions in school - for years - in a variety of different schools. People just didn't like me, I was always a target - but I didn't break down in my teen years like that - my very few friends I had who were positive had more of an impact on me than those who were negative in my life.

    Why can some people handle it - and others can't?

    Unless they focus on the individual problems student to student - psychologically, etc - they'll never actually figure it out.

    Quoted for truth, because I can't thank you twice.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #54
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Sad to see.

    My graduating class had 1,200 people in it. We lost 112 people over the course of 4 years. 23 of them were suicides.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  5. #55
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Large schools are a problem. The greater the school size and anonymity of students, the more they will have problems with this sort of thing. However, there are large private schools with similar problems.

    I don't believe that there is any research that suggests that bullying is a public school only issue, or that the problem is substantially worse in public schools.
    I used to represent a large school system that was mostly upper class whites and the most prosperous black community in greater cincinnati. we had lots of problems there and I recall reading a study (albeit one that is now 24 years old) that indicated that the public schools had far more cases. private schools tend to be smaller with smaller student teacher ratios meaning malignant undercurrents tend to be discovered quicker



  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I used to represent a large school system that was mostly upper class whites and the most prosperous black community in greater cincinnati. we had lots of problems there and I recall reading a study (albeit one that is now 24 years old) that indicated that the public schools had far more cases. private schools tend to be smaller with smaller student teacher ratios meaning malignant undercurrents tend to be discovered quicker
    I think that there are multiple reasons for that. Parents in private schools are more likely to be heavily involved (many require the parents to contribute service hours). Private schools are smaller. Private schools tend to be more ethnically/religiously/economically homogeneous. Private schools tend to have more students with intact families.

    There are probably more reasons but now I'm tired of listing them.

    In our community, there are really only 2 private high schools that my kids could attend. One is whackdoo religious and the other is extremely expensive (and has a major drug problem). I'm okay with my kids being in public schools.

  7. #57
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Sad to see.

    My graduating class had 1,200 people in it. We lost 112 people over the course of 4 years. 23 of them were suicides.
    brutal-in the 30+ years since I graduated my prep school there has been one suicide that I am aware of. there were none the 6 years I was there

    in fact I am only aware of three deaths of students, one was a suicide, one was cancer (a boy a couple years behind me-I was at his funeral) and another guy who was killed when his boat hit a log jam and he broke his neck being thrown from the boat.



  8. #58
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    brutal-in the 30+ years since I graduated my prep school there has been one suicide that I am aware of. there were none the 6 years I was there
    Oh, we're counting post graduation years too? This might take a while, real life hit everybody pretty hard.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  9. #59
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Oh, we're counting post graduation years too? This might take a while, real life hit everybody pretty hard.
    nah I was talking about the 6 years I was there and the thirty plus I have been aware of the school. in other words, suicides of students while at the school. I am sure more than a few grads did themselves-one guy kidnapped a classmate's kid (he had mental issues) and then after getting out tried to rob a bank (no gun). he wasted himself in the pen. but I don't count him since that was post graduate activity



  10. #60
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    10-09-10 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2

    mad Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Sad to see.

    My graduating class had 1,200 people in it. We lost 112 people over the course of 4 years. 23 of them were suicides.
    May I ask how much of a drug abuse problem there was?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •