Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 118

Thread: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

  1. #31
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    My argument is, "This is just one of the many excuses people use for having public indoctrination centers. If kids didn't go to school they wouldn't learn how to socialize."
    Ah so it's a strawman argument. Very clever.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then what exactly is your argument? I'm curious to know.
    From what I can see, it looks like:

    1. The gummint schools are EVIL and cause kids to kill themselves.

    2. Kids learn how to be bullies in public school.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-08-10 at 10:56 AM.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The gummint schools are EVIL and cause kids to kill themselves.
    I think what he fails to understand is that there are a myriad of studies used by current education professionals which prove that socializing can and happens in healthy learning environments and not a specific learning environment. Children who are homeschooled socialize just as well as children who are not. The point of public schools is to give those who can't actually afford to go to a private school, a chance at an education.

    Creating a healthy learning environment means schools should actually clamp down on bullying and I fully support zero tolerance policies. However, as with everything in schools, public or private, it's not going to be an easy target. But as long as he gets to argue a strawman about the evils of us Librulz, I guess it's all good.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-08-10 at 11:00 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #34
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    My response stands.
    Your response is a strawman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So schools are in your mind, not places of learning, but public indoctrination centers?

    Also, how is not learning how to socialize a good thing?
    Many teachers, like John Gatto, have written volumes that public schools do not teach but indoctrinate.

    Socialization occurs naturally without being forced on the child since the child socializes on their own terms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah so it's a strawman argument. Very clever.
    I'm only repeating one of the many arguments pro-public indoctrination centers espouse on why we need them.

  5. #35
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I'm only repeating one of the many arguments pro-public indoctrination centers espouse on why we need them.
    The fact that you would even use that term, leads me to the conclusion that your world view is so far removed from the general public, that your opinion hardly matters.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Your response is a strawman.
    Private schools, just like public schools, have the same difficulties in responding to bullying. Much of it is covert, there is no evidence that it happened, and a lot of the time, kids won't speak up and name names about the person who is harassing them. There is ZERO difference in the ability of public/private schools to respond to bullying.

    Your attempt to use this tragedy as a bully pulpit to honk the horn of your ridiculous beliefs is also duly noted for the repugnant act it is.

    Stay classy, Patriot.

  7. #37
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think what he fails to understand is that there are a myriad of studies used by current education professionals use which prove that socializing can and happens in healthy learning environments and not a specific learning environment. Children who are homeschooled socialize just as well as children who are not. The point of public schools is to give those who can't actually afford to go to a private school, a chance at an education. But as long as you get to argue a strawman about the evils of us Librulz.
    If you actually cared about the quality of education that students receive then you would support private schooling/home schooling by removing the taxes to keep public schools open. The point of public schools is not to teach nor give them an education. The history of public education in the US is all about indoctrinating children to fit into the mold that society wants them to be in. Learning is optional as evidenced by test scores of public education in the US and against other industrialized countries.

  8. #38
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Private schools, just like public schools, have the same difficulties in responding to bullying. Much of it is covert, there is no evidence that it happened, and a lot of the time, kids won't speak up and name names about the person who is harassing them. There is ZERO difference in the ability of public/private schools to respond to bullying.

    Your attempt to use this tragedy as a bully pulpit to honk the horn of your ridiculous beliefs is also duly noted for the repugnant act it is.

    Stay classy, Patriot.
    I will bow out as per your request.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    I'm only repeating one of the many arguments pro-public indoctrination centers espouse on why we need them.
    Which "pro-public indoctrination centers" are these? Show us some?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #40
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If you actually cared about the quality of education that students receive then you would support private schooling/home schooling by removing the taxes to keep public schools open.
    What we have above is called a non-sequitur. Quality of teaching and taxation have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Example, Sweden has an education system which essentially outperforms the American system even though their level of taxation is also higher. The issue comes with the corruption of the education system at the top. One where people are allowed to let their political ideologies influence decision making. Compulsory membership of teacher unions for example should be scrapped. Policies which make it nearly impossible to fire a bad teacher should be scrapped too. Once again, the problem is not taxation.

    The point of public schools is not to teach nor give them an education.
    What we have above is called an opinion. Not a fact. You must remember this.

    The history of public education in the US is all about indoctrinating children to fit into the mold that society wants them to be in.
    Really? And which classes would 'mold' these children into what society wants them to be? English? Math? Maybe chemistry? Social studies perhaps?

    Learning is optional as evidenced by test scores of public education in the US and against other industrialized countries.
    And finally what we have here is the argument which contradicts your first statement. Taxation in most industrialized countries surpasses that of the U.S. in many cases and yet we find that these same countries manage to outperform the U.S. academically. So what is it? Either taxation and quality of education are related or they are not.

    Tax rates:



    Education:



    http://www.geographic.org/country_ra...2009_oecd.html



    The United states lags behind most industrialized nations with far more socialized systems.

    So is quality of education related to taxation? Or is it not?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-08-10 at 11:20 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •