Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 118

Thread: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

  1. #21
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You could have fooled me. With public schools it is next to impossible to expel and punish bullies because state law mandates that all children between 5 and 18 to be enrolled in school. I also never made the claim that there weren't bullies in private school. My exact words were, "Bullies don't last long in private schools." By my own statement I admit that there is bullying in private schools, but I stated that they are not in it for very long if people do what is expected of them by reporting the bullying to a parent or a faculty member. In public school, the faculty and administration cannot or will not expel a bully due to state laws for public schools and the funding attached to having a student in that seat.
    schools have zero tolerance policies, and can expel kids almost at will. where do you live that your schools have to allow misbehavior?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #22
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    schools have zero tolerance policies, and can expel kids almost at will. where do you live that your schools have to allow misbehavior?
    Happens all the time here and as for your appeal to the zero tolerance policies did they work in this instance? No, they didn't because the girl committed suicide due to bullying in school. So much for zero tolerance.

  3. #23
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Happens all the time here and as for your appeal to the zero tolerance policies did they work in this instance? No, they didn't because the girl committed suicide due to bullying in school. So much for zero tolerance.
    they work if they are enforced. clearly the school had no interest in enforcing those rules, hence the "loss" of the records.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Happens all the time here and as for your appeal to the zero tolerance policies did they work in this instance? No, they didn't because the girl committed suicide due to bullying in school. So much for zero tolerance.
    If the student in a public or private school does not identify the individuals involved, and if there is no evidence that the bullying actually occurred, it devolves into a he said/she said situation and nothing happens. A lot of bullying is covert and teachers don't see it, or if they do see it, they may not even realize what is going on. Kids calling each other names, they don't do that where teachers can hear, if they're at all smart. Kids make arrangements to fight off school grounds so they can't be suspended, as well.

    Your claims that these things don't happen in private schools is simply too stupid to defend.

    And, for the record, zero tolerance polices are one of the worst things to happen to schools since contracted school lunches. Zero tolerance policies often mandate specific sanctions that are inappropriate for a particular issue. Far better is to give administrators discretion to act within their best judgement. Zero tolerance policies have been an abysmal failure when it comes to reducing school violence & drug activity.

    For the record: An in-school suspension is usually a MUCH WORSE punishment from a student perspective than an out of school suspension or expulsion.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-08-10 at 10:47 AM.

  5. #25
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If the student in a public or private school does not identify the individuals involved, and if there is no evidence that the bullying actually occurred, it devolves into a he said/she said situation and nothing happens. A lot of bullying is covert and teachers don't see it, or if they do see it, they may not even realize what is going on. Kids calling each other names, they don't do that where teachers can hear, if they're at all smart. Kids make arrangements to fight off school grounds so they can't be suspended, as well.

    Your claims that these things don't happen in private schools is simply too stupid to defend.

    And, for the record, zero tolerance polices are one of the worst things to happen to schools since contracted school lunches.
    Are you done putting words in my mouth and point out where I said that bullying does not happen in private schools?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Are you done putting words in my mouth and point out where I said that bullying does not happen in private schools?
    So then what exactly is your argument? I'm curious to know.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    I remember being bullied in private school quite vivdly. I'd rather go after a havering school board than try to get the son of a "donor family" disciplined.

  8. #28
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then what exactly is your argument? I'm curious to know.
    My argument is, "This is just one of the many excuses people use for having public indoctrination centers. If kids didn't go to school they wouldn't learn how to socialize."

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Are you done putting words in my mouth and point out where I said that bullying does not happen in private schools?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    My exact words were, "Bullies don't last long in private schools." By my own statement I admit that there is bullying in private schools, but I stated that they are not in it for very long if people do what is expected of them by reporting the bullying to a parent or a faculty member.
    My response stands:

    If the student in a public or private school does not identify the individuals involved, and if there is no evidence that the bullying actually occurred, it devolves into a he said/she said situation and nothing happens. A lot of bullying is covert and teachers don't see it, or if they do see it, they may not even realize what is going on. Kids calling each other names, they don't do that where teachers can hear, if they're at all smart. Kids make arrangements to fight off school grounds so they can't be suspended, as well.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-08-10 at 10:55 AM.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    My argument is, "This is just one of the many excuses people use for having public indoctrination centers. If kids didn't go to school they wouldn't learn how to socialize."
    So schools are in your mind, not places of learning, but public indoctrination centers?

    Also, how is not learning how to socialize a good thing?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •