Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 118

Thread: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

  1. #11
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    This is really tragic, and sad. School should be a safe place, and being harassed at school should never get to this level.
    well, we can't protect everybody, but it's pretty telling that the school can't manage to find those records. parents of these kids teach their children to hate "different".

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If there weren't any public schools then this wouldn't have happened. Bullies don't last long in private schools.
    That's horse****. I went to private school for a little bit.

    The bully was strong there, in some ways stronger.

  3. #13
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If there weren't any public schools then this wouldn't have happened. Bullies don't last long in private schools.
    i assume you have facts to back this up? i went to private school, as did my kids. plenty of bullying going on there, as well.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    If there weren't any public schools then this wouldn't have happened. Bullies don't last long in private schools.
    This is a load of bull. Public schools are no worse than private schools in this regard. It's very hard to eliminate bullying, but most recipients of bullying don't commit suicide. This is where this school, and the kids parents failed.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    One thing that bothers me about this article is that a couple of these kids weren't actually bullied. They had other issues going on, whcih isn't that uncommon.

    For instance, from the link.

    "Meredith ended up coming out that she was a lesbian," he says. "I think much of that sparked a lot of the bullying from a lot of the other girls in school, 'cause she didn't fit in."

    Her best friend, Kevin Simon, doesn't believe that bullying played a role in Rezak's death. She had serious issues at home that were unrelated to school, he says. After Mohat's death, people saw Rezak crying at school, and friends heard her talk of suicide herself.

    A year after Rezak's death, the older of her two brothers, 22-year-old Justin, also shot and killed himself. His death certificate mentioned "chronic depressive reaction."
    This March, her only other sibling, Matthew, died of a drug overdose at age 21.

    Their mother, Nancy Merritt, lives in Colorado now. She doesn't think Meredith was bullied to death but doesn't really know what happened. On the phone, her voice drifts off, sounding disconnected, confused.

    "So all three of mine are gone," she says. "I have to keep breathing."

    In 1983, in my high school, 3 kids killed themselves, all in the same year. One thing the media talked about a lot that year was how there was a domino effect with teen suicide. One kid was definitely a social outcast and was bullied. One was a good friend of mine and was an extremely popular and well-liked guy whose parents had just gone through a nasty divorce. Another was a jock with a lot of money who was extremely popular (his dad and mine were business associates and our families socialized). One suicide can trigger others.

    I think these stories are tragic, and I'm not really sure how a kid can be bullied IN A CLASSROOM as is described in the article (I've seen it more commonly in hallways, bathrooms, and the cafeteria), but I am also not sure exactly what people think should be done. I mean, when we do training with schools around gangs, I talk to teachers about being highly visible, in the hallways/bathrooms/lunchrooms, etc., because having a strong adult presence tends to quell student behavioral problems; and I talk to them about forming bonds with the students.

    But the fact of the matter is that a lot of bullying isn't observed by school staff. And it's really hard to control what you don't see. You may hear reports of kids being picked on, but I've also seen kids who ARE bullies whose parents complain that their child is BEING bullied.

    Do you think kids should be suspended from school for being mean? That would result in nearly 70% of most high school students being out of school, in my experience.

    Better maybe would be teaching kids how to take care of each other. My daughter is pretty fierce (shocking, I know), and there is a kid with asperger's syndrome in her band (we also suspect he's gay). My daughter caretakes him a lot, and we've basically adopted him. I know he takes a lot of crap at school, but having some defenders who have his back among his peers is the best option, I think.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-08-10 at 10:23 AM.

  6. #16
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i assume you have facts to back this up? i went to private school, as did my kids. plenty of bullying going on there, as well.
    Which fact? The first or the second one? The first one is obvious since if she was home schooled or in a private school then the exact same people who bullied her may not have been present in her life. The second one is due to the school needing to maintain their reputation as a safe place for kids and that they can learn without fear of being bullied. If the students, parents, and school faculity fail to address the issue of a bully then that means less revenue for that school due to them gaining a reputation for being unsafe and bullies allowed to walk the halls.

  7. #17
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    i think you're right about this girl. serious issues in that family. i don't think bullies should be suspended, hell, that's a little vacation. they should be penalized with grades. when they realize they might not graduate because of their disgusting behavior they might lighten up a bit. unfortunately, those types of kids grow up to be those types of adults, usually. it's pretty tough to alter personality by the time they hit high school.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #18
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Which fact? The first or the second one? The first one is obvious since if she was home schooled or in a private school then the exact same people who bullied her may not have been present in her life. The second one is due to the school needing to maintain their reputation as a safe place for kids and that they can learn without fear of being bullied. If the students, parents, and school faculity fail to address the issue of a bully then that means less revenue for that school due to them gaining a reputation for being unsafe and bullies allowed to walk the halls.
    i can tell you first hand there are bullies in private school, so you're wrong. private school is not the answer, expecting students to behave is. public school doesn't FOSTER this type of behavior, parents ALLOW thier children to behave like this.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #19
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    The school should absolutely have done something, but I think there's some bad parenting to blame here as well. A normal well-adjusted teen doesn't kill themselves because they're being bullied at school.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #20
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: 1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead at own hand

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i can tell you first hand there are bullies in private school, so you're wrong. private school is not the answer, expecting students to behave is. public school doesn't FOSTER this type of behavior, parents ALLOW thier children to behave like this.
    You could have fooled me. With public schools it is next to impossible to expel and punish bullies because state law mandates that all children between 5 and 18 to be enrolled in school. I also never made the claim that there weren't bullies in private school. My exact words were, "Bullies don't last long in private schools." By my own statement I admit that there is bullying in private schools, but I stated that they are not in it for very long if people do what is expected of them by reporting the bullying to a parent or a faculty member. In public school, the faculty and administration cannot or will not expel a bully due to state laws for public schools and the funding attached to having a student in that seat. The behavior of bullies is further fostered by the inaction of the school combined with their peers cheering them on since bullies are viewed as minor celebrities.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 10-08-10 at 10:38 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •