Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 190

Thread: Soda Is Target of New Assault

  1. #131
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    This sounds to me like you wouldn't mind if the government stepped in and regulated people enough to keep them physically healthy. That's not the case is it? I'll admit I might be reading too much into it..but that is how it sounds...
    Not really. I doubt the government would be able to effectively do such a thing. I'm not opposed to nudging people toward exercise through incentives, if it's effective. Other countries (I think Japan or South Korea) have been experimenting with public health programs to provide incentives for people to exercise, but I'm not sure if they've actually accomplished their goal.

    But in any case, such a thing is far outside the scope of the food stamp program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    Being "essentially the same thing" is not the same as "being the same thing". What you are doing is expanding on their powers to something which it was never intended to be.
    OK, let's use your definition if you like: The goal of the food stamp program is to prevent people from starving to death. People starve to death due to lack of nutrients. Soda provides no nutrients, and therefore it's outside the scope of the program and should not be funded by the program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang
    Much like how the government has expanded on their powers beyond that which they were intended to have. Where does it stop? Once you start letting people control everything about your lives you are no longer free.
    They're free to buy soda with their own money. But they shouldn't expect the taxpayers to pay for it, when there are other people in poverty who could actually use that taxpayer money for something worthwhile.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-10-10 at 06:49 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #132
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Because 1: it is no longer yours. You pay the government to provide certain services. Like road care, fire departments, police departments, protection from invasion and many many other services. Since this is a large country with millions of people with millions of things to do and many more millions of things that are needed there are bound to be things which you do not like. Get over it. A tax is a part of your bills. Unless the money is in your hands or invested into something that you personally have invested in then the money is no longer yours. Facts of life.

    2: As I have already stated you do have some say as to what taxes go towards, at the polling station. Beyond that you have none. This to is a fact of life. Unless of course there is some type of service that millions of people don't know about that tracks thier money specifically that you know about? Then you might have a case..
    You seem to be ignorant of the fact that politicians are tax payer funded employees and tax payer dollars does not stop being tax payer dollars just because the government takes it from you.



    And if a friends asks for some money for food because they need it and you give it to them do you tell them what they can/cannot buy with it? Or do you just let them buy what they want?
    IF a friend asks me if they can borrow money for food then that is what they better spend that money on because next time I will not help them out.


    Why? Because they're "treats" or "not nutritional"? Do they not deserve something good in their life also? Or are they too poor to deserve anything good?
    No one deserves to have someone else buy them cookies, candy, energy drinks, and other things.
    Again, do you do the same with a friend when they ask for money for some food?
    A friend and complete stranger on foodstamps are two different things.

    And when you limit what type of food that they can have based off of "nutritional values" then you are expecting them to live by your standards of life. Which means you are telling them how to live their life
    Telling someone what they can and can not use MY MONEY for is not telling them how to live their lives. Why do you fail to understand the fact that foodstamps are not a gift, they are a helping hand.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #133
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    “If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”

    – Thomas Jefferson
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #134
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    “If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”

    – Thomas Jefferson
    Not sure what you're repying to, but is anyone really doing this? I mean, a health issue, and marking something as it is, a health risk, is not the same as deciding what foods to eat or medicine to take, . . . is it?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #135
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    “If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.”

    – Thomas Jefferson
    "If the government gives you the means by which to eat, should it not stop you from wasting its money (time and time again you claim to be your money)"

    Jetboogieman

  6. #136
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure what you're repying to, but is anyone really doing this? I mean, a health issue, and marking something as it is, a health risk, is not the same as deciding what foods to eat or medicine to take, . . . is it?



    Uhm, If I want to cook frites in trans fat, salt em and have a soda, in bloombergs world, I'm a criminal. The fact that he starts out with the whole food stamps thing is irrellevant when he supports a tax on soda, has banned trans fat, and is on the attack against salt.

    Freedom, some has it..... Some wants it.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #137
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    "If the government gives you the means by which to eat, should it not stop you from wasting its money (time and time again you claim to be your money)"

    Jetboogieman


    I think we should end food stamps all together. Government cheese and spam lines would be motivation to get the bums back to work.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #138
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    One can also apply my quote to the health care albatross.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #139
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Uhm, If I want to cook frites in trans fat, salt em and have a soda, in bloombergs world, I'm a criminal. The fact that he starts out with the whole food stamps thing is irrellevant when he supports a tax on soda, has banned trans fat, and is on the attack against salt.

    Freedom, some has it..... Some wants it.
    No, I think that is your misreading. It's a health issue. Nothing more.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Soda Is Target of New Assault

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    One can also apply my quote to the health care albatross.
    No, not really. One would have to read too much into it, too much falsehoods, to make that accurate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •