Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 123

Thread: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

  1. #71
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And whose fault is it for buying and cooking pre-packaged food?
    It's irresponsible to blame the parents for it, since HFCS is in almost every prepackaged food you buy from bread to cereal. In order to make sure you don't consume HFCS means that you have to spend a lot of time and money making all of the prepackaged foods from scratch. This includes bread and other staples. With the amount of taxes people pay, families have to have both parents working, so there isn't a lot of time nor money to go around.

  2. #72
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,534
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I guess McDonalds will just have to get by on the quality of their food

    However, I don't see what the big deal is here. If a small town decides they want a standard (as opposed to the federal government), I don't see what the fuss is about, especially given the large number of people here who want these sorts of decisions made at the local level.
    You might laugh, but McDonald's is seen as quality food in places like Poland. Hell, it's about the only place you can get a decent salad.

    The government food guidelines are responsible for far, far, far more damage than McDonald's. Their food pyramid was a travesty.

    If toys are a problem, they have to go after every type of food producer... not just McDonald's.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-06-10 at 12:05 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  3. #73
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    It's irresponsible to blame the parents for it, since HFCS is in almost every prepackaged food you buy from bread to cereal. In order to make sure you don't consume HFCS means that you have to spend a lot of time and money making all of the prepackaged foods from scratch. This includes bread and other staples. With the amount of taxes people pay, families have to have both parents working, so there isn't a lot of time nor money to go around.
    It doesn't take a lot of time or money not to eat pre-packaged foods. Pre-packaged foods are more expensive than making it yourself. It also doesn't take a lot of time to read labels if you feel you absolutely must buy some pre-packaged food. So no, it's not irresponsible to blame the parents for what they choose to buy and feed their children. It is their fault and their fault alone.

  4. #74
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It doesn't take a lot of time or money not to eat pre-packaged foods. Pre-packaged foods are more expensive than making it yourself. It also doesn't take a lot of time to read labels if you feel you absolutely must buy some pre-packaged food. So no, it's not irresponsible to blame the parents for what they choose to buy and feed their children. It is their fault and their fault alone.
    Prepackaged foods are every food that you buy that isn't in raw form. How long does it take to make a single loaf of bread? I can tell you that it takes four to five hours. If you want condiments like ketchup, mustard, etc... without HFCS you're looking at several days of preparation. Let's not forget about making pickles etc... Those also take several days.

  5. #75
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Prepackaged foods are every food that you buy that isn't in raw form. How long does it take to make a single loaf of bread? I can tell you that it takes four to five hours. If you want condiments like ketchup, mustard, etc... without HFCS you're looking at several days of preparation. Let's not forget about making pickles etc... Those also take several days.
    LMFAO First off, one doesn't need to elimnate HFCS from their diets entirely. Everything in moderation. Secondly, making ketchup and mustard is stupid easy. Third, extremely easy to buy bread locally made without preservatives and other additives from a bakery. Fourth, if you make your own bread, you need not stand there for 4 - 5 hours. The actually labor time is only minutes in different segments. Fifth, if you do make your own bread, you need only do so every few days. Hell, make a bunch of dough and freeze it. Thaw and bake when you need it. Easy peasy. Also, you can make dough and keep it in the fridge for days, taking out only handfuls to bake for a meal.

    So yeah, not really all that difficult.

  6. #76
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    But but but wont somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN?

    Like their parents maybe.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #77
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    You might laugh, but McDonald's is seen as quality food in places like Poland. Hell, it's about the only place you can get a decent salad.
    That sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The government food guidelines are responsible for far, far, far more damage than McDonald's. Their food pyramid was a travesty.
    This was not an issue I addressed. But you are right, the recent revision is better.

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If toys are a problem, they have to go after every type of food producer... not just McDonald's.

    .
    I agree that they should be fair with this and go after all toys that are packaged with unhealthy meals. I don't have a problem with a toy in a box of cheerios though.

    However, ultimately, this, I believe, is reasonable for a town, city, county to do, regardless of whether anyone outside the town agrees.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 10-06-10 at 12:22 PM.

  8. #78
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LMFAO First off, one doesn't need to elimnate HFCS from their diets entirely. Everything in moderation. Secondly, making ketchup and mustard is stupid easy. Third, extremely easy to buy bread locally made without preservatives and other additives from a bakery. Fourth, if you make your own bread, you need not stand there for 4 - 5 hours. The actually labor time is only minutes in different segments. Fifth, if you do make your own bread, you need only do so every few days. Hell, make a bunch of dough and freeze it. Thaw and bake when you need it. Easy peasy. Also, you can make dough and keep it in the fridge for days, taking out only handfuls to bake for a meal.

    So yeah, not really all that difficult.
    It's easy for you to say to eat HFCS in moderation when it is in everything prepackaged. How can you consume moderately when the label doesn't specify how much of a certain ingredient is in there?

    Actually, even local bakeries use HFCS in their bread. It is a sugar and sold as such. The labor for making bread is longer than a few minutes for each segment. You're just wanting to blame the parents solely for the situation and nothing I say will change your mind. It's not the food manufacturers or the government's fault for creating the situation to begin with according to you.
    Last edited by The_Patriot; 10-06-10 at 12:24 PM.

  9. #79
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post

    Actually, even local bakeries use HFCS in their bread. It is a sugar and sold as such. The labor for making bread is longer than a few minutes for each segment.
    Can you make the same bread without sugar?

    You're just wanting to blame the parents solely for the situation and nothing I say will change your mind. It's not the food manufacturers or the government's fault for creating the situation to begin with according to you.
    The parents are to blame, they buy the food and let their kids sit around the house all day.

    The labor for making bread is longer than a few minutes for each segment.
    I make bread sometimes it does not take hours of labor to make it. You heat the milk up, mix the ingredients and at most knead the bread for several minutes,maybe a little longer depending on the type of bread. Then you let it sit for around a hour or so, maybe 24 hours in some cases, then you punch the dough down and let rise for and depending on the type of dough you make you throw it into a pan. If you got a kitchen aid mixture or even a food processor then that involves less labor.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 10-06-10 at 12:35 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #80
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    It's easy for you to say to eat HFCS in moderation when it is in everything prepackaged.
    Then don't eat pre-packaged crap.

    How can you consume moderately when the label doesn't specify how much of a certain ingredient is in there?
    Then don't eat it.

    Actually, even local bakeries use HFCS in their bread. It is a sugar and sold as such.
    Some may. It's easy enough to ask. The one I use does not.

    The labor for making bread is longer than a few minutes for each segment.
    Well, it sure doesn't take me very long.

    You're just wanting to blame the parents solely for the situation and nothing I say will change your mind.
    I'm not "wanting" to do anything. I speak only the truth. If the parents buy the food, cook the food, and feed the food to the kids, then it is solely the parent's fault for what the kid consumes. There is no way around this.

    It's not the food manufacturers or the government's fault for creating the situation to begin with according to you.
    What situation? Where parents are too lazy to cook their own food, read labels, or educate themselves? No, that's not the govt or manufacturer's fault.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •