Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 123

Thread: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

  1. #21
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    It's not a matter of where I choose to eat, it's a matter of what I think government's interference should be in the lives of the people. I would've thought that was obvious.
    OK, fair enough. But, you don't even live there. SF is not a family with kids kind of a city. I doubt anyone will notice. Besides, it's city government, not The Government.

    EDIT: A city government in a city full of kids would likely get voted out next time.
    Last edited by d0gbreath; 10-05-10 at 03:51 PM.

  2. #22
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    not sure where some people get the Idea that this is the government telling children what they can eat. I take the "I don't give a damn" stance on this issue. Clearly parents are having a more difficult time keeping their kids in shape, today's fast food industry probably does contribute to that issue. Still, if a company wants to give out toys with their meals as a business ploy then so be it. It ought to be up to the parent to do the choosing but unfortunately it seems more and more parents are doing a crappy job.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    It's sad to see that there are people who really seem to prefer government intervention to raising their kids on their own.
    Don't worry mcDonalds is more than happy to step in:

    Encouraging Kids to Get Fit

    In January 2005, McDonald's Chief Creative Officer Marlena Peleo-Lazar told a government panel concerned with food marketing to children that Ronald McDonald had morphed from "chief happiness officer" into an "ambassador for an active, balanced lifestyle" and was visiting elementary schools to tout exercise.[13] Ronald also got a makeover to look more active in June 2005, trading in his trademark yellow jumpsuit for sportier garb. McDonald's also introduced a new program called Active Achievers in fall 2005 to "deliver educational messages to students about nutrition, and balance between eating right and staying active."[14] They also announced a program called Passport to Play, which was distributed to 31,000 schools and seven million children. Psychologist Susan Linn, cofounder of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, said McDonald's had no place in schools: "This is another marketing ploy. The notion that children need Ronald McDonald to get them to enjoy exercise is bogus. Given the opportunity, kids naturally like to be active."[15]

    McDonald's - SourceWatch

  4. #24
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    OK, fair enough. But, you don't even live there. SF is not a family with kids kind of a city. I doubt anyone will notice. Besides, it's city government, not The Government.

    EDIT: A city government in a city full of kids would likely get voted out next time.

    It's called a slippery slope and should concern everyone.
    I hope McDonald's doesn't cave to their demands.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #25
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    It's called a slippery slope and should concern everyone.
    I hope McDonald's doesn't cave to their demands.
    You do know that "slippery slope" is a logical fallacy, right?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Nagging from children is a well documented factor in the purchase of almost anything
    It's also a well documented factor in a smack to the mouth.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Zomg, parents will have to go to Toys R Us instead? The horror.

  8. #28
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    The ordinance is in violation of Article I Section X Clause I of the Constitution of the United States. Cities are subordinate to states and lack any sovereignty the states have, thus it is the responsibility of the state government to ensure that city and county governments in their borders adhere to the Constitution of the United States. For reference here is the clause.

    No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

    Purchasing from a restaurant is a contract between the individual and the owners of said restaurant. This ordinance impairs the obligation of a contract by forcing the restaurant to offer certain products. Once could also argue that under the Ninth Amendment that the ordinance violates freedom of choice.

  9. #29
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Soviet Technate
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    359

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    If people were rational, they wouldn't have such an obesity problem in the United States. Clearly, people are not really capable of handling the complete freedom to choose what to consume. They therefore require guidance, assistance, and structure. People ultimately do better when they have authoritative leadership.

    People do not know what's best for themselves, quite often. THus, adults need their own nannie with a neutral, outside-context view: the government.
    Last edited by Technocratic; 10-05-10 at 04:43 PM.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The ordinance is in violation of Article I Section X Clause I of the Constitution of the United States. Cities are subordinate to states and lack any sovereignty the states have, thus it is the responsibility of the state government to ensure that city and county governments in their borders adhere to the Constitution of the United States. For reference here is the clause.

    No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

    Purchasing from a restaurant is a contract between the individual and the owners of said restaurant. This ordinance impairs the obligation of a contract by forcing the restaurant to offer certain products. Once could also argue that under the Ninth Amendment that the ordinance violates freedom of choice.

    I didn't realize McDonalds was in the toy business

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •