Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 157

Thread: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Insurance companies raise premiums all the time. The current changes are not out of the ordinary at all. The company I worked for in 2008 had its premiums go up 30% in one year. I'm pretty sure "Obamacare" did not affect premiums before Obama was even elected.

    Also, uhh... When did anyone propose that the IRS administers health insurance and health care?
    Aren't people ashamed to write/ read junk that is purely dogmatic. People may like the goodies in the bill, I do as well. However to say that uncapping payments, insuring kids under 26, etc have no cost is silly. Since there is a cost then what do you expect, it gets passed along. To say that it was great to get a bunch of free stuff makes me wonder if people are serious, are just political hacks or have no clue how business works.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Aren't people ashamed to write/ read junk that is purely dogmatic. People may like the goodies in the bill, I do as well. However to say that uncapping payments, insuring kids under 26, etc have no cost is silly. Since there is a cost then what do you expect, it gets passed along. To say that it was great to get a bunch of free stuff makes me wonder if people are serious, are just political hacks or have no clue how business works.

    From the article:

    Instead, the company will direct retirees to Medicare-backed insurance programs
    But this article is not making sense. No insurance Co. insures people 65 or older that is when medicare takes over. The only thing one can get is a supplemental policy.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    This doesn't make sense because insurance companies do not insure people 65 or older period unless it is a supplemental policy.
    It has to do with tax increases and subsidies that were not quite enough to entice the employers to keep them. 3M found it to be much cheaper to let them go to the government, as many predicted would happen and democrats claimed was just fear mongering. 3M is just the first to make this decision. There will be more.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    From the article:



    But this article is not making sense. No insurance Co. insures people 65 or older that is when medicare takes over. The only thing one can get is a supplemental policy.
    I was not talking to the retiree question but to the point that rates going up have nothing to do with the HC bill.

    On the retiree issue, I am not sure why it is happening now. But I can tell you that my father in law who is retired was just notified by a fortune 500 company the same thing as is being discussed.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I was not talking to the retiree question but to the point that rates going up have nothing to do with the HC bill.
    I agree and it is amazing when rates went up 23% just few years ago we did not hear this.

    On the retiree issue, I am not sure why it is happening now. But I can tell you that my father in law who is retired was just notified by a fortune 500 company the same thing as is being discussed.
    I'm not sure but I smell a rat somewhere.

  6. #36
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,362

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Aren't people ashamed to write/ read junk that is purely dogmatic. People may like the goodies in the bill, I do as well. However to say that uncapping payments, insuring kids under 26, etc have no cost is silly. Since there is a cost then what do you expect, it gets passed along. To say that it was great to get a bunch of free stuff makes me wonder if people are serious, are just political hacks or have no clue how business works.
    So, you freely admit that when Obama said over and over that premiums would go down, because of the healthcare bill, he was either lieing his ass off, or he's just too damn stupid to be president?

    Of course alot of us here in the real world knew that premiums were going to sky rocket. I seem to remember being called a hack and a racist for opposing the bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you freely admit that when Obama said over and over that premiums would go down, because of the healthcare bill, he was either lieing his ass off, or he's just too damn stupid to be president?

    Of course alot of us here in the real world knew that premiums were going to sky rocket. I seem to remember being called a hack and a racist for opposing the bill.
    Of course I admit the obvious. How do you keep supply the same, increase demand and have costs go down. Never made any sense except for people who were blinded by ideology.

  8. #38
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Healthcare premiums will go down when the insurance companies that friviously raise their premiums realize that they will not be eligible to be apart of the new pool of clients under the government plan. These raises, I feel are nothing more than attempts to scare the public into returning the insurance game back to the conditions that favor the insurance companies over patients. As far as companies dumping retirees, I see this as a good thing. Companies cannot afford to continue to be competitive while being responsible for healthcare of those it no longer employs, this is insane. If anything, it should help in corporations being able to give better raises to working individuals as they will no longer be burdened with lifetime healthcare costs of employees.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Healthcare premiums will go down when the insurance companies that friviously raise their premiums realize that they will not be eligible to be apart of the new pool of clients under the government plan. These raises, I feel are nothing more than attempts to scare the public into returning the insurance game back to the conditions that favor the insurance companies over patients. As far as companies dumping retirees, I see this as a good thing. Companies cannot afford to continue to be competitive while being responsible for healthcare of those it no longer employs, this is insane. If anything, it should help in corporations being able to give better raises to working individuals as they will no longer be burdened with lifetime healthcare costs of employees.
    So we were told during the health care debate that premiums were up because there was a lack of competition, now you say they will go down with less competition! Do you realize how silly that sounds. Either that or intellectually dishonest.

    As far as retirees getting dumped. Again a major promise by our president was that if you liked your insurance you would be able to keep it. Now it is a good idea for people to lose their insurance to make companies more profitable!

    With logic like this from someone who is probably better informed than the average person, well as the saying goes:

    " People get the government they deserve".

  10. #40
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: 3M Co. will drop retirees from health plans, steer to Medicare

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    So we were told during the health care debate that premiums were up because there was a lack of competition, now you say they will go down with less competition! Do you realize how silly that sounds. Either that or intellectually dishonest.

    As far as retirees getting dumped. Again a major promise by our president was that if you liked your insurance you would be able to keep it. Now it is a good idea for people to lose their insurance to make companies more profitable!

    With logic like this from someone who is probably better informed than the average person, well as the saying goes:

    " People get the government they deserve".
    First of all, please read what I say, not attach your own meaning to it. I said that premiums will stop going up for nefarious reasons. Second, how is it that competition is reduced? Have any insurance companies closed down recently? If anything cost should be reduced because there will be more people to spread the cost over.

    When the President said that you can keep your employer based insurance, I should think he meant for those who were currently employed, or paying for their own plans. Expecting companies to continually cover people for life, even as the cost of insurance goes-up is ludicrous.

    Finally, I simply do not understand people who defend the current system when the US is one of the lowest nations in life-expectancy, infant mortality, and many other areas of healthcare when compared to other nations such as Japan, that possess universal healthcare completely ran by the government. Do we want poor healthcare overall for a high price so that a minority of rich can have the best while everyone else gets some of the worst, and we can call it "market-driven?"

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •