Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

  1. #21
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    You know one thing though.

    If you gave me the option of death now, or 20 years in prison. I'd choose the death now.

    A guy who looks like me I think would be a reciever if you get my drift.

    However, give me the choice between 20 years in prison and then death, or life in prison with the possibility of being released, and I'd choose the latter.
    We should be able to find a way to stop the reciever bit.

    But I understand your point.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #22
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Life imprisonment in supermax is both cheaper and reversible if it turns out the conviction was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    When we execute a person wrongly, we make a greivous error that can't really be made right. Not even remotely.
    You're both operating under the horribly mistaken assumption that releasing a person from prison "makes amends" for the years of their life that have been stolen and the damage to their reputation and the trauma they've endured. When you convict a person wrongly, no matter what the sentence, you cannot make it right. There is nothing that society can do to make it right. That means, regardless of what criminal sentences we use, the only way to have justice is to make sure our justice system makes as few mistakes as possible in the first place.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    You're both operating under the horribly mistaken assumption that releasing a person from prison "makes amends" for the years of their life that have been stolen and the damage to their reputation and the trauma they've endured. When you convict a person wrongly, no matter what the sentence, you cannot make it right. There is nothing that society can do to make it right. That means, regardless of what criminal sentences we use, the only way to have justice is to make sure our justice system makes as few mistakes as possible in the first place.
    It's a hell of a lot better than being dead. Dead, there is nothing that can be done. Alive, I might still find something for me. I think you misread what is being said. Alive, I might see my wife again, hug my child, know some pleasure agian. Dead, there is nothing.

    I do not argue all amends can be made. Only that alive, there is still something for me.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #24
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yes, but a person who's been in jail for 20 years, and is found innocent still has a chance to live, while an executed person doesn't have that chance. IMO, it's not worth the risk of killing just one innocent person to keep the death penalty going.
    personally, If I was wrongly convicted, I think i would rather be executed quickly than have to spend the next 30-40 years in prison.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    personally, If I was wrongly convicted, I think i would rather be executed quickly than have to spend the next 30-40 years in prison.
    I understand that feeling, but also understand others wouldn't want that. And it might be interesting if we saw how would we really react if we were in the situation, innocent and convicted, how we would respond.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #26
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    personally, If I was wrongly convicted, I think i would rather be executed quickly than have to spend the next 30-40 years in prison.
    That's easy to say from where you stand now.........

  7. #27
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    That's easy to say from where you stand now.........
    have you ever seen what goes on inside a prison? I just spent a year living in a freakin box in Iraq and that was bad enough. but to be locked up in a cell with no hope of release...no thanks. give me the needle.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #28
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    That's easy to say from where you stand now.........
    Well, it's also this:

    Watch Shankshaw redemption, and what Brooks went through when he got out.

    I'd probably go through the same thing.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    One wrongful execution is reason enough to abolish capital punishment. In this case, where the governor intentionally blocked an investigation with his own appointees, who is responsible for this murder? It seems like people in government are immune to murder charges.

    The whole system should be held liable.

  10. #30
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas judge to examine if executed man was innocent

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    One wrongful execution is reason enough to abolish capital punishment. In this case, where the governor intentionally blocked an investigation with his own appointees, who is responsible for this murder? It seems like people in government are immune to murder charges.

    The whole system should be held liable.
    This I do agree with whole heartedly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •