Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 204

Thread: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Do we, or do we not have a treaty to protect Taiwan against Chinese aggression?
    Would we, or would we not, be stupid enough to enter another landwar in Asia?

  2. #102
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Do we, or do we not have a treaty to protect Taiwan against Chinese aggression?


    j-mac
    We do.

    Are we going to be dumb enough to sacrifice thousands of soldiers' lives and probably trillions of dollars in material and who knows how much in damage to our trade and economy to protect Taiwan simply because of a piece of paper?

    Think hard on this before you answer.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Would we, or would we not, be stupid enough to enter another landwar in Asia?
    I'd rather go against a Sicilian with death on the line.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #104
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Do we, or do we not have a treaty to protect Taiwan against Chinese aggression?

    j-mac
    The problem with this is that it ignores the fact that the U.S. simply wouldn't go to war because we have an agreement. We have mutual defense agreements with the majority of countries on this planet in one way or another. We don't go to war all the time or even the majority of the time. We didn't do it for the British during the Falkans. We didn't do it for the Argentinians either. We didn't do it for El Salvador or Nicaragua. Seriously, a treaty to protect a country is about as valuable during war as a pimple on a horse's neck.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #105
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    We do.

    Are we going to be dumb enough to sacrifice thousands of soldiers' lives and probably trillions of dollars in material and who knows how much in damage to our trade and economy to protect Taiwan simply because of a piece of paper?

    Think hard on this before you answer.

    Look, the real world answer in all honesty is probably not, seeing as how Carter refused to continue to recognize Taipei as the capitol of Tiwan, and shifted our recognition to Bejing.

    however, Isn't it odd that when talking of things like treaties that those in opposition to causes they believe in mean everything while this one seems to mean little?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #106
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The problem with this is that it ignores the fact that the U.S. simply wouldn't go to war because we have an agreement. We have mutual defense agreements with the majority of countries on this planet in one way or another. We don't go to war all the time or even the majority of the time. We didn't do it for the British during the Falkans. We didn't do it for the Argentinians either. We didn't do it for El Salvador or Nicaragua. Seriously, a treaty to protect a country is about as valuable during war as a pimple on a horse's neck.

    No, the real problem is that you would argue that treaties ratified in the US Congress are supreme law of the land, unless it interferes with your own world view.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #107
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, the real world answer in all honesty is probably not, seeing as how Carter refused to continue to recognize Taipei as the capitol of Tiwan, and shifted our recognition to Bejing.

    however, Isn't it odd that when talking of things like treaties that those in opposition to causes they believe in mean everything while this one seems to mean little?

    j-mac
    Your brilliant ignorance shines again. Why is it Carter's fault that we didn't recognize Taiwan when in reality it was Nixon who first recognized Red China?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #108
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,719

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, the real problem is that you would argue that treaties ratified in the US Congress are supreme law of the land, unless it interferes with your own world view.

    j-mac
    Pot, kettle, etc.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #109
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your brilliant ignorance shines again. Why is it Carter's fault that we didn't recognize Taiwan when in reality it was Nixon who first recognized Red China?
    My brilliant ignorance? Nah...I think you'd better read again.

    On January 1, 1979, the United States changed its diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communiqué that announced the change, the United States recognized the Government of the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China and acknowledged the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China. The Joint Communiqué also stated that within this context the people of the United States will maintain cultural, commercial, and other unofficial relations with the people on Taiwan.

    Taiwan

    Hmmmm... 1979...Now who could that be? Nixon as you say who's term was from 1969 to 1974? Or now who could that be.......Hmmmmmmm....

    Jimmy Carter

    39th President of the United States
    In office January 20, 1977 – January 20, 1981


    doh!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #110
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

    This whole O'Donnell thing reminds me of that movie "Idiocracy," and when I look around I can see the truth of it. Intelligent people are reproducing less and less, thus leaving the ignorant to rule.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •