Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 110

Thread: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

  1. #41
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And that was done.
    so why all the yapping about it?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #42
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I think it's really more a case of knowing right from wrong, recognizing the wrongs that have been commited, and having the moral backbone necessary to apologize for the collective responsibility we all bear for them -- even if it WAS 60 years ago.
    We don't share a collective responsibility.

    The vast majority of us would have objected to these programs but they were kept secret for a reason.
    I can't believe you think this way, when a narrow group of people conducted this, under secrecy.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    speak for yourself

    i didn't know about this experiment conducted by the SOCIAL ENGINEERS in the truman admin

    had i, i would have opposed it

    many of us don't buy in to your concept of collective guilt

    but, like i said, speak for yourself, by all means

    We all have a responsibility to keep our government in check. Ignorance is no excuse.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    We all have a responsibility to keep our government in check. Ignorance is no excuse.
    Dude, they kept it secret.
    It's not like we ignored it, it was a secret program like MK ULTRA and the Manhattan Project.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #45
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    We don't share a collective responsibility.
    of course we do.

    It wasn't the Guatemalans who voted the people into office who did those things.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #46
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    of course we do.

    It wasn't the Guatemalans who voted the people into office who did those things.
    The Guatemalan government was a participant.
    Plus we don't vote for all those bureaucratic research people.

    I seriously doubt any president ran his campaign on "Experimenting on Guatemalans."
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #47
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The Guatemalan government was a participant.
    Plus we don't vote for all those bureaucratic research people.

    I seriously doubt any president ran his campaign on "Experimenting on Guatemalans."
    Most central american governments during that time were vassals of the US government. They did as the US government wished. When a govermment emerged that did not do as the US government wished it was removed. Small disagreements were allowed but nothing major and certainly nothing that affected US business interests


    The US government was responsible for the actions, and the US government is a representative of the US people. It does mean that the US people share the responsibility for the actions the US government has taken. Just like the Canadian people are responsible for the actions taken by the Canadian governemnt regarding native Canadians and residential schools. Because of actions taken by the democratically elected Canadian government, I (along with all other Canadians) will have to pay compensation to thousands of native Canadians for the abuse they suffered.

    I dont have the direct blame for those actions, only the government and the people involved with the policy and abuse have that. But I do and so do all Canadians have the indirect blame for those actions taken by the Canadian government
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  8. #48
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Most central american governments during that time were vassals of the US government. They did as the US government wished. When a govermment emerged that did not do as the US government wished it was removed. Small disagreements were allowed but nothing major and certainly nothing that affected US business interests
    If the I am supposedly responsible for stuff I had no idea about, then so are the Guatemalan people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The US government was responsible for the actions, and the US government is a representative of the US people. It does mean that the US people share the responsibility for the actions the US government has taken. Just like the Canadian people are responsible for the actions taken by the Canadian governemnt regarding native Canadians and residential schools. Because of actions taken by the democratically elected Canadian government, I (along with all other Canadians) will have to pay compensation to thousands of native Canadians for the abuse they suffered.

    I dont have the direct blame for those actions, only the government and the people involved with the policy and abuse have that. But I do and so do all Canadians have the indirect blame for those actions taken by the Canadian government
    Complete bull ****.

    None of us knew about it and if we did, most would have been appalled by such things.

    Using your logic, the human experiments in the Manhattan project were innocent victims and responsible for the government injecting them with radioactive material.
    That's garbage.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    We all have a responsibility to keep our government in check.
    absolutely, many of us are doing the very best we can

  10. #50
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל • אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: U.S. to apologize for STD experiments in Guatemala

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    It wasn't the Guatemalans who voted the people into office who did those things.
    It wasn't me either. I wasn't even born yet.

    The blame lies squarely on those in government at the time who conceived it, approved it, participated in it, and covered it up.

    Don't misunderstand. The US government finally owning up to this and apologizing are the right things for the US government to do.

    But casting a collective guilt-net over every American 60 years later is also a dishonesty.

    אשכנזי היהודי • Белый Россию

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •