Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 471

Thread: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

  1. #221
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In bold. That's where you try to present your opinion as fact. In no way does the prevelence suggest anything of the kind. "Being" homosexual doesn't cause this. But I'd be happy to see any substantiation for this opinion of yours. Go to it.
    Do you accept that homosexuals commit suicide 6 times more than the general population?

    Do you accept that by the law of statistical averages alone, one cannot attribute all homosexual suicide to external pressures? So, one of three questions needs to be addressed. Either, gay people kill themselves more becasue they are teased more, or maybe it has nothing at all to do with being homosexual, and they are as depressed as everyone else, and commit suicide for the same reasons as everyone else in the general population does? Or, they commit suicide because they cannot feel comfortable in their own skin, something feels wrong to them?

    So the question to a potential research study would be. How many do what, because of which reason? Is it all external, is it all simply a matter of being human, or is it all a matter of internal reconcilliation? Maybe it's a combination of all three? Either way, something is causing them to suffer more than the general population in terms of suicide deaths.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #222
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, it is NOT suggestive of internalized homophobia. I don't even think you know what this term means. What this IS suggestive of is one's anxiety about the reactions of others. This is pretty clear. YOUR extrapoliation takes a leap that has no connection to what we knew at the time.
    Well, ok.. NOT!

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #223
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Not necessarily. Abuse victims DO feel self-BLAME at times, but self-loathing is far stronger terminology that is synonomous with self-hatred. Verbalizing this is far different than actually feeling and being it. One can say "I hate myself", but behaviors that exhibit these feelings are not always present. It's kinda like saying, "I hate my father" when you are actually just angry at him. Extremeness in terminology is usually misrepresentative. Self-blame? Yeah. Self-loathing? Nah, not very often.
    What behaviors exhibit hating oneself?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #224
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Do you accept that homosexuals commit suicide 6 times more than the general population?

    Do you accept that by the law of statistical averages alone, one cannot attribute all homosexual suicide to external pressures? So, one of three questions needs to be addressed. Either, gay people kill themselves more becasue they are teased more, or maybe it has nothing at all to do with being homosexual, and they are as depressed as everyone else, and commit suicide for the same reasons as everyone else in the general population does? Or, they commit suicide because they cannot feel comfortable in their own skin, something feels wrong to them?

    So the question to a potential research study would be. How many do what, because of which reason? Is it all external, is it all simply a matter of being human, or is it all a matter of internal reconcilliation? Maybe it's a combination of all three? Either way, something is causing them to suffer more than the general population in terms of suicide deaths.


    Tim-
    All of what you said are legitimate questions. But let's look at your three possibilities:

    1) Gay people kill themselves more of social issues
    2) Gay people kill themselves for the same reasons that others do
    3) Gay people kill themselves because the cannot feel comfortable in their own skin

    The first one. I would say this is likely a factor. There is plenty of independent reporting and incidents of bias and attacks on gays to substantiate this. People reject them, even family members. So, yes, number 1 qualifies.

    The second. One. Certainly. Gays have the same pressures and potential for mental illness as heterosexuals. Straights can be depressed; gays can be depressed. Straights can be anxious; gays can be anxious. Straights can have schizophrenia; gays can have schizophrenia. There is no causative relation between any of these issues and sexual orientation, so one would expect to see types of mental illness, regardless.

    The third one. This is far too ambiguous. Why are they feeling uncomfortable in their own skin? If they are questioning their sexual orientation, this could occur with gays or straights. It could also mean that there is a psychological disorder causing this confusion/discomfort. If they are saying they don't like being gay, why is this? Is it religious? This goes to issue number one. Is it because of family? THIS goes to issue number one. My extrapolation of your point #3 leads back to point #1. Please be more clear with what you mean.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #225
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What behaviors exhibit hating oneself?


    Tim-
    Depends on the person. A suicide attempt COULD be... however, a suicide attempt is often a homicide attempt turned inwards. The individual is very angry at someone(s) and instead of harming THEM, they harm themselves. Same thing with any type of self-injury. It COULD be a form of self-hatred, but often is no, is instead a form of mood regulation or mood release. There is no clear cut answer. It often depends on the individual. Depression is often anger turned inwards. The perception of self-hatred is rarely that, but rather hatred towards someone/something external that that the individual has difficulty expressing... or even identifying. This is why the perception of self-loathing is nothing more than surface-stuff, concealing loathing of someone/something else. It's often a defense mechanism.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #226
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What behaviors exhibit hating oneself?


    Tim-
    Tim... define the term.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #227
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So, then regardless of the suicide you think someone should get five years for posting a video of someone else without their consent?

    And people say DWI Punishments are bad.... this is absolutely ridiculous.
    I guess in the age of warrantless wiretaps, searches and arrests this is going to come as a surprise to many of the sheep out there, but, yes, you're damn right I'm gonna throw the book at any little **** who not only dares spy on me, but streams my private life all over the internet.

    I really don't care how ridiculous my wish to protect my privacy may seem to some.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #228
    Student sokpupet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In your heart.
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    252

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online



    No matter your view on homosexuality, the actions of the students in posting a video taken without knowledge was criminal and morally decayed.

  9. #229
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    That video is more about teen suicide. And they may not be criminally liable, but even though the fact this kid was obviously upset the fact that what they did finally push him over will destroy them for a while.

  10. #230
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    OK, was it a video recording blasted over the Internet or a local webcam? The facts seem to be getting destroyed by the growing hysteria and lynch mob. I'm just glad the kid was white and the "Manson Family" wasn't. Otherwise, we'd have another round of Al Sharpton on Anderson Cooper 360 calling for a congressional inquiry.
    Last edited by Ahlevah; 10-02-10 at 11:16 AM.
    Нава́льный 2018

Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •