Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 471

Thread: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

  1. #211
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Tell us why you would have chosen THAT particular possibility.
    Look, if the guy was out, and proud, he would not have knee jerked his way to a suicide. I assumed that, since the premise makes sense, he must have been closeted, and the shame of getting exposed could have pushed him over the edge. This is suggestive of internalized homophobia. At the time the information was current, there was no indication that he was an out gay man.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #212
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Actually they would. Self loathing is a very common characteristic among homosexuals who are depressed.
    Self Loathing for being a homosexual is often brought on in my opinion by society.

    If everyone around you thinks your crazy for example, after awhile you're gonna believe it.

    That is how you get self loathers. People who are unable to come to terms with who they are, because they believe whatever that is, is wrong. Because people made them feel that way.

    How you get people like George Rekers.

  3. #213
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Actually they would. Self loathing is a very common characteristic among homosexuals who are depressed.
    The self-loathing issue might but the others would not in any way. Being depressed because of being abused, or being anxious because of fear around confessing to one's parents are not consistent with internalized homophobia. And depression may be common with homosexuals who self loath, but the reverse is not true. Gays are depressed for a variety of reasons, and just like heterosexuals, it may have nothing to do with their sexuality.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 10-02-10 at 03:44 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #214
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    No one said there was a causation. Only that there is data that simply, "being" homosexual, can lead to an increase in stress anxiety, depression, and various other forms of mental illness; not typical of the general population. Now, granted, external influences could be a problem for some, but the shere prevalance suggests something more at play. That's all the correlation indicates.


    Tim-
    In bold. That's where you try to present your opinion as fact. In no way does the prevelence suggest anything of the kind. "Being" homosexual doesn't cause this. But I'd be happy to see any substantiation for this opinion of yours. Go to it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #215
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Self Loathing for being a homosexual is often brought on in my opinion by society.

    If everyone around you thinks your crazy for example, after awhile you're gonna believe it.

    That is how you get self loathers. People who are unable to come to terms with who they are, because they believe whatever that is, is wrong. Because people made them feel that way.

    How you get people like George Rekers.
    Its not always that clear cut. And I'm not saying all homosexuals experience this but abuse in the home, peer pressure or ones own feelings often lead to self loathing just as it does in non homosexuals for different reasons.
    Last edited by texmaster; 10-02-10 at 03:43 AM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #216
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Look, if the guy was out, and proud, he would not have knee jerked his way to a suicide. I assumed that, since the premise makes sense, he must have been closeted, and the shame of getting exposed could have pushed him over the edge. This is suggestive of internalized homophobia. At the time the information was current, there was no indication that he was an out gay man.


    Tim-
    Actually, it is NOT suggestive of internalized homophobia. I don't even think you know what this term means. What this IS suggestive of is one's anxiety about the reactions of others. This is pretty clear. YOUR extrapoliation takes a leap that has no connection to what we knew at the time.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #217
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The self-loathing issue might but the others would not in any way.
    Being depressed because of being abused, or being anxious because of fear around confessing to one's parents are not consistent with internalized homophobia. And depression may be common with homosexuals who self loath, but the reverse is not true. Gay are depressed for a variety of reasons, and just like heterosexuals, it may have nothing to do with their sexuality.
    Actually its quite true especially in cases of abuse. The self loathing is not very different from what many rape or other abuse victims encounter when examining their own feelings about the experience.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #218
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Its not always that clear cut. And I'm not saying all homosexuals experience this but abuse in the home, peer pressure or ones own feelings often lead to self loathing just as it does in non homosexuals.
    When one speaks about human nature. Nothing is clear cut. It is after all an opinion and a theory.

    A fair point.

    Good day to you sir!


  9. #219
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    When one speaks about human nature. Nothing is clear cut. It is after all an opinion and a theory.

    A fair point.

    Good day to you sir!

    LOL love that pic.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #220
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Student kills himself after gay sex footage put online

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Actually its quite true especially in cases of abuse. The self loathing is not very different from what many rape or other abuse victims encounter when examining their own feelings about the experience.
    Not necessarily. Abuse victims DO feel self-BLAME at times, but self-loathing is far stronger terminology that is synonomous with self-hatred. Verbalizing this is far different than actually feeling and being it. One can say "I hate myself", but behaviors that exhibit these feelings are not always present. It's kinda like saying, "I hate my father" when you are actually just angry at him. Extremeness in terminology is usually misrepresentative. Self-blame? Yeah. Self-loathing? Nah, not very often.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •